The Student Room Group

Pharmacy or Biochemistry ?!

I am very interested in both of these degrees, but I’m not 100% sure on which one is best for me to take, in terms of career prospects, job opportunities, salaries, etc.
Any information provided will be deeply appreciated! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Pretty much any science degree opens up a wealth of opportunities. Either subject would be very interesting and involve study around the core subject. I imagine pharmacy includes biochemistry modules. If you are interested in being a Pharmacist then of course you would favour pharmacy . There’s a bit of negative press around about the vocational potential of pharmacy degrees but I wouldn’t be so concerned about that because it’s a good degree to have whatever
If you want to be a pharmacist, you should do a pharmacy degree - because it's necessary to enter that profession. If you don't want to become a pharmacist, you should not do a pharmacy degree, because it's not designed for other purposes. Unless you mean pharmacology? Which is a separate discipline from pharmacy and not the same thing.
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
Pretty much any science degree opens up a wealth of opportunities. Either subject would be very interesting and involve study around the core subject. I imagine pharmacy includes biochemistry modules. If you are interested in being a Pharmacist then of course you would favour pharmacy . There’s a bit of negative press around about the vocational potential of pharmacy degrees but I wouldn’t be so concerned about that because it’s a good degree to have whatever

What sort of jobs would a biochemistry degree lead to? If I did biochemistry, I would most likely do a MSci 4 year course, which boosts employability.
Reply 4
Original post by aarrose
What sort of jobs would a biochemistry degree lead to? If I did biochemistry, I would most likely do a MSci 4 year course, which boosts employability.

You can go in to things that are more pure science eg research or broader technical function roles eg product development. Graduate schemes also look for promising graduates for a wide variety of corporate roles and for their future leadership potential. A friend of mind studied biochemistry and then an MSc in IT and now works in medical research related brain imaging. I did a science degree which included a lot of biochemistry and have worked in retail management, product development and most recently quality management
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
You can go in to things that are more pure science eg research or broader technical function roles eg product development. Graduate schemes also look for promising graduates for a wide variety of corporate roles and for their future leadership potential. A friend of mind studied biochemistry and then an MSc in IT and now works in medical research related brain imaging. I did a science degree which included a lot of biochemistry and have worked in retail management, product development and most recently quality management

Nice!
Just out of pure curiosity, on average, would you say pharmacy/pharmacists hold higher salaries than biochemistry related jobs, such as, a biochemist?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
If you want to be a pharmacist, you should do a pharmacy degree - because it's necessary to enter that profession. If you don't want to become a pharmacist, you should not do a pharmacy degree, because it's not designed for other purposes. Unless you mean pharmacology? Which is a separate discipline from pharmacy and not the same thing.

You do know that there are pharmacists who work in tech, banking, coding, industry etc? I also know of doctors who work outside of medicine.
Original post by Claremont4ever
You do know that there are pharmacists who work in tech, banking, coding, industry etc? I also know of doctors who work outside of medicine.

Yes but what is the point of doing a 5 year MPharm if you don't want to be a pharmacist? That's just pointless. If you start a pharmacy degree planning to become a pharmacist but change your mind then yes you can go into other things but it would be a huge waste of time to go into a 4-5 year degree for an allied health profession one doesn't want to go actually work in, rather than just doing any other 3-4 year degree.
Reply 8
Original post by aarrose
Nice!
Just out of pure curiosity, on average, would you say pharmacy/pharmacists hold higher salaries than biochemistry related jobs, such as, a biochemist?

Try a bit of Googling on salaries for different professions. However the reality is you can’t say at this stage, you could become a very well paid site director or even a CEO of a company with any degree if you have the potential. On step at a time, go for the subject that interests you, focus on getting a good result and see where you go from there.
Reply 9
Original post by Zarek
Try a bit of Googling on salaries for different professions. However the reality is you can’t say at this stage, you could become a very well paid site director or even a CEO of a company with any degree if you have the potential. On step at a time, go for the subject that interests you, focus on getting a good result and see where you go from there.

Thank you for the great advice! :smile:
My only issue is, I'm equally interested in both of these.
I think I just need to do some more research on what each degree is like, and make a final decision from there.
Original post by aarrose
I am very interested in both of these degrees, but I’m not 100% sure on which one is best for me to take, in terms of career prospects, job opportunities, salaries, etc.

Do you want a people-orientated job? If the answer is no then pick biochemistry (not to say that biochemistry can't lead to people facing jobs but pharmacy will most definitely lead to a job interacting with various people). I don't know if you have Unifrog or a similar tool to compare job prospects but from my memory I think pharmacy had a higher average salary. Realistically being a pharmacist would lead you to working in the NHS (at least initially) whereas biochemistry is a bit more open to a wider range of employers and you could take it down a more clinical route. I've heard people say there are too many pharmacists but likewise I know of someone with a very similar degree to biochemistry that struggled to find a job immediately after graduating so I wouldn't listen to scaremongering. Have a look on Youtube or blogs at the day to day roles of a person in each and see if either is more appealing.
Original post by aarrose

Hi, I'm actually in exactly the same position and can't make a decision. My logic is that with biochemistry I could choose to do a physician's associate qualification later on if I wanted a more medical route (usually require a life science degree form what I've seen). Equally I then think why not just do pharmacy from the word go? Please let me know what you end up doing. 😊
Original post by rbella022
Hi, I'm actually in exactly the same position and can't make a decision. My logic is that with biochemistry I could choose to do a physician's associate qualification later on if I wanted a more medical route (usually require a life science degree form what I've seen). Equally I then think why not just do pharmacy from the word go? Please let me know what you end up doing. 😊

I remember I was in the same position as you and just ended up picking Biochemistry
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes but what is the point of doing a 5 year MPharm if you don't want to be a pharmacist? That's just pointless. If you start a pharmacy degree planning to become a pharmacist but change your mind then yes you can go into other things but it would be a huge waste of time to go into a 4-5 year degree for an allied health profession one doesn't want to go actually work in, rather than just doing any other 3-4 year degree.

I concur, Artful. Statistics from schools of pharmacy constantly show that over 90% of pharmacy undergrads intend to qualify and practise as pharmacists.
Reply 14
Original post by Seyiojo
I remember I was in the same position as you and just ended up picking Biochemistry

How did you/do you find biochemistry?
Would you recommend it?
Original post by aarrose
How did you/do you find biochemistry?
Would you recommend it?

I'm starting this September so I haven't done any of the course yet
Reply 16
Original post by Seyiojo
I'm starting this September so I haven't done any of the course yet

Oh nice!
May I ask what grades you received for your A Levels + what uni?
Original post by aarrose
Oh nice!
May I ask what grades you received for your A Levels + what uni?

D2(A*), A, A Uni of Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending