The Student Room Group

History African-American Civil Rights Cause

How far do you agree that, in the civil rights cause for African-Americans, Malcolm X was more influential than Martin Luther King?
Any answers or information relating to the question would be extremely helpful 🖤
Reply 1
Hello, I can help on this question
Reply 2
not really, whilst malcolm x created a huge feeling of pride and self-love within the black community, ultimately he and the nation of islam didn’t provide tangible change for civil rights. he agreed and preached the ideologies of the nation of islam including the creation of a black nation (wanting to have states from america to make their own country) and the NOI actually expelled white people from the group as did SNCC (Stokely Carmichael) and CORE (Floyd McKissick) in 1966. Like these groups Malcolm X rejected the non-violent approach of MLK (which imo is obviously understandable but i guess doesn’t help the situation)- Roy Wilkins actually described it as 'black supremacy' and some others including MLK saïd it was 'anti-white' (again bit of an exaggeration imo but i guess people hadn’t seen this before as they had only seen the non-violent ways of MLK) The Nation also had all of these ideas for a separate nation but proposed no stable economic plan in order to help this country function. however from my personal opinion whilst i agree that malcolm x didn’t achieve anything on a federal level, i do agree with a lot of the things he says (minus the separatist ideas). on the other hand we have martin luther king who is the face of the civil rights movement and becomes one of the most important figures of the 20th century. starting in 1955 with the montgomery bus boycott with him leading the montgomery improvement association which led to browder v gayle (finally ended racial segregation on Alabama's buses, and state and city appeals that occurred later in 1956 were rejected) and then the peaceful protest in birmingham al in 1963 which provoked a violent reaction from the police and was televised so people were outraged and this led to JFK proposing a civil rights billl which was passed by LBJ after JFK died (Civil Rights Act of 1964, prohibited discrimination in public places, provided for the integration of schools and other public facilities, and made employment discrimination illegal). then in 1965 there was the voting rights act 1965 along with another civil rights act of 1968 and MLK worked with the government and always preached a non-violent, peaceful approach and if we compare it to malcom x clearly this idea worked better than the other. however, MLK's influence on LBJ declined in around 1968 due to his stance on the vietnam war (he compared the us military tactics to those of the nazis and also sympathised with the vietnamese communists but i mean at that point what was the us even doing there but that’s another story) and then he was assassinated so that was that- although very important people in politics showed up at his funeral. anyway i don’t think this is a structured answer to directly answer the question but hopefully you can use the info to get a start. i also recommend typing the question into google or malcom x vs martin luther king or something like that because it will bring up things that are useful even if you do mlk achievements you’ll see how much more he actually got done for black people in america. hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Andra01
Hello, I can help on this question

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to gather as much information as possible from a multitude of different prospectives!
Reply 4
Original post by dashaman
not really, whilst malcolm x created a huge feeling of pride and self-love within the black community, ultimately he and the nation of islam didn’t provide tangible change for civil rights. he agreed and preached the ideologies of the nation of islam including the creation of a black nation (wanting to have states from america to make their own country) and the NOI actually expelled white people from the group as did SNCC (Stokely Carmichael) and CORE (Floyd McKissick) in 1966. Like these groups Malcolm X rejected the non-violent approach of MLK (which imo is obviously understandable but i guess doesn’t help the situation)- Roy Wilkins actually described it as 'black supremacy' and some others including MLK saïd it was 'anti-white' (again bit of an exaggeration imo but i guess people hadn’t seen this before as they had only seen the non-violent ways of MLK) The Nation also had all of these ideas for a separate nation but proposed no stable economic plan in order to help this country function. however from my personal opinion whilst i agree that malcolm x didn’t achieve anything on a federal level, i do agree with a lot of the things he says (minus the separatist ideas). on the other hand we have martin luther king who is the face of the civil rights movement and becomes one of the most important figures of the 20th century. starting in 1955 with the montgomery bus boycott with him leading the montgomery improvement association which led to browder v gayle (finally ended racial segregation on Alabama's buses, and state and city appeals that occurred later in 1956 were rejected) and then the peaceful protest in birmingham al in 1963 which provoked a violent reaction from the police and was televised so people were outraged and this led to JFK proposing a civil rights billl which was passed by LBJ after JFK died (Civil Rights Act of 1964, prohibited discrimination in public places, provided for the integration of schools and other public facilities, and made employment discrimination illegal). then in 1965 there was the voting rights act 1965 along with another civil rights act of 1968 and MLK worked with the government and always preached a non-violent, peaceful approach and if we compare it to malcom x clearly this idea worked better than the other. however, MLK's influence on LBJ declined in around 1968 due to his stance on the vietnam war (he compared the us military tactics to those of the nazis and also sympathised with the vietnamese communists but i mean at that point what was the us even doing there but that’s another story) and then he was assassinated so that was that- although very important people in politics showed up at his funeral. anyway i don’t think this is a structured answer to directly answer the question but hopefully you can use the info to get a start. i also recommend typing the question into google or malcom x vs martin luther king or something like that because it will bring up things that are useful even if you do mlk achievements you’ll see how much more he actually got done for black people in america. hope this helps!

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much, this will definitely help! I can't wait to read it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest