The Student Room Group

I want to be a solicitor, but college rejected me.

Hi everyone. Lengthy post, so if you don't want to read, please check the tldr.I got good grades at GCSE level in March 2020, and then went on to a college and studied Animal Management L3, in which I got multiple merits and passes in March 2021. I decided that the course wasn't suited for me, however, as the 'practical' subject had little practical work. I've always wanted to work in Law (mainly become a solicitor, or something to do with criminal law) so I applied to a college known for it. I applied around 5 months ago, right after finishing my animal course. They sent me many emails about how they 'can't wait to see me in September', about my bursary, COVID-19, etc. My family and I assumed this meant I got in, and I was sent an email recently to come in on the 2nd of September for an interview/induction towards my subjects.I chose Law, Philosophy and Sociology. When we arrived there, they sat me down and said 'Welp, sorry to disappoint, but their all full.'I really had my heart set on these subjects and I did have a good cry after getting home. They offered some BTEC courses, but as far as I am aware, most law firms, paralegal apprenticeships and universities require an AAB or an ABB, so BTEC wasn't really an option, especially outside of humanitarian subjects.The area I live in is quite small, and so there are no colleges except for the ones I went to. My first college has a law course, but I know many people who went to it and did atrociously due to the teachers lack of effort and lack of funding for the entirety of the college. Effectively, it's not a place I'd like to go back to.Does anyone know what I can do? I'm really at a loss and am about to be 18. My family relies on the benefits from the kids going to school/college, and so I'll now be working until I can find something, but that won't help me become a lawyer/solicitor.TL;DR - College waited until just today to tell me they didn't want me. No where is accepting new students, and I really want to become a solicitor. What can I do?
Reply 1
Original post by heidi03
Hi everyone. Lengthy post, so if you don't want to read, please check the tldr.I got good grades at GCSE level in March 2020, and then went on to a college and studied Animal Management L3, in which I got multiple merits and passes in March 2021. I decided that the course wasn't suited for me, however, as the 'practical' subject had little practical work. I've always wanted to work in Law (mainly become a solicitor, or something to do with criminal law) so I applied to a college known for it. I applied around 5 months ago, right after finishing my animal course. They sent me many emails about how they 'can't wait to see me in September', about my bursary, COVID-19, etc. My family and I assumed this meant I got in, and I was sent an email recently to come in on the 2nd of September for an interview/induction towards my subjects.I chose Law, Philosophy and Sociology. When we arrived there, they sat me down and said 'Welp, sorry to disappoint, but their all full.'I really had my heart set on these subjects and I did have a good cry after getting home. They offered some BTEC courses, but as far as I am aware, most law firms, paralegal apprenticeships and universities require an AAB or an ABB, so BTEC wasn't really an option, especially outside of humanitarian subjects.The area I live in is quite small, and so there are no colleges except for the ones I went to. My first college has a law course, but I know many people who went to it and did atrociously due to the teachers lack of effort and lack of funding for the entirety of the college. Effectively, it's not a place I'd like to go back to.Does anyone know what I can do? I'm really at a loss and am about to be 18. My family relies on the benefits from the kids going to school/college, and so I'll now be working until I can find something, but that won't help me become a lawyer/solicitor.TL;DR - College waited until just today to tell me they didn't want me. No where is accepting new students, and I really want to become a solicitor. What can I do?

Most unis do accept BTECs, even the higher ranking Russell Group Uni. Here are the entry requirements for Law at Warwick:

We welcome applications from students taking BTECs. Our typical offers are as follows:

BTEC Extended Diploma: D*DD
BTEC Diploma alongside one A level: D*D plus grade A in one A level
BTEC Extended Certificate alongside two A levels: Distinction plus grades AA in two A levels

Having a combination of BTEC and A-levels is also fine, and might be better than all BTECs. Can you not do any A-level subjects at your chosen college? Remember that there are NO subject requirements for a Law degree, not even A-Level Law, and many would argue that you are better off not doing A-level Law.
Reply 2
Original post by lalexm
Most unis do accept BTECs, even the higher ranking Russell Group Uni. Here are the entry requirements for Law at Warwick:

We welcome applications from students taking BTECs. Our typical offers are as follows:

BTEC Extended Diploma: D*DD
BTEC Diploma alongside one A level: D*D plus grade A in one A level
BTEC Extended Certificate alongside two A levels: Distinction plus grades AA in two A levels

Having a combination of BTEC and A-levels is also fine, and might be better than all BTECs. Can you not do any A-level subjects at your chosen college? Remember that there are NO subject requirements for a Law degree, not even A-Level Law, and many would argue that you are better off not doing A-level Law.

There are no A-levels at the potential colleges other than the Arts programs (I studied all 3 arts at GCSE level and have 0 interest in going back, despite achieving high grades). Ultimately, there is no option to do A-levels this year.
BTECS are something I am really not looking to do, either. I've been heavily judged for BTECS by multiple colleges already (the one I just applied to quite literally told me I 'had too many', despite having 2 at GCSE Merit Level 2 and one from my first year of another college).

Quick Reply

Latest