The Student Room Group

Film studies a level

So I’m starting sixth form in a few days and these are my subjects: btec business, btec creative digital media and a level film studies. I was told that film studies is a useless subject and that I won’t get into a good university. It would help if I had respectable subjects alongside film studies but btec creative media is also considered a soft subject. What should I do? Should I change my A level film studies subject or should I pursue the subjects that I enjoy?
Original post by Sufman
So I’m starting sixth form in a few days and these are my subjects: btec business, btec creative digital media and a level film studies. I was told that film studies is a useless subject and that I won’t get into a good university. It would help if I had respectable subjects alongside film studies but btec creative media is also considered a soft subject. What should I do? Should I change my A level film studies subject or should I pursue the subjects that I enjoy?

I don't know who's telling you Film Studies is useless- I got into university with the highest Film Studies grade in my class. I think you should do what you enjoy because there's value in that and you will enjoy it because it'll open your eyes to a world of cinema and how film making in meticulously constructed.
Reply 2
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I don't know who's telling you Film Studies is useless- I got into university with the highest Film Studies grade in my class. I think you should do what you enjoy because there's value in that and you will enjoy it because it'll open your eyes to a world of cinema and how film making in meticulously constructed.

My dad and other people on this forum have said that film studies is a ‘soft’ subject. I’m also doing btec creative digital media which is also considered a soft subject so apparently my chance of getting into a good uni is low. Also film studies and creative digital media are quite similar.
I don't think that having A-level film studies will hold you back - if you want to pursue it at degree level it is probably a good idea - but having it alongside BTEC Media may limit you as they are similar. This combination won't stop you from getting into a good uni depending on your grades (I know 2 people who had this same combination and go to QMUL) but it depends on where you want to attend (if you wanted to do film studies at Warwick or KCL for instance, replacing BTEC Media with an essay-based subject like English lang/lit would be a good idea).

Ultimately, if you want to pursue a more practical film production degree, keeping BTEC media would be better. If you wanted to do film studies (maybe to go into academia) then keeping A-level film studies would be better. If you want to keep your options open it doesn't really matter, although some film studies degrees have a practical component (don't quote me but I believe this is true for Lancaster and QMUL) for which either would be useful but generally I don't think they would require a film/media subject at A-level/BTEC and more practical courses would likely place an emphasis on your portfolio rather than subject choice (provided you achieve the grades).
Original post by Sufman
My dad and other people on this forum have said that film studies is a ‘soft’ subject. I’m also doing btec creative digital media which is also considered a soft subject so apparently my chance of getting into a good uni is low. Also film studies and creative digital media are quite similar.

What do they mean by a "soft" subject-do they mean it's easy? I wouldn't say Film Studies is easy it's a subject that can greatly improve your analytical skills and you get to discover meanings of what you see on screen, how sound and editing work to create a director's vision and so on. I think you should do what you love and don't follow anything else no matter what anybody says.

I think you can get into a good uni with Film Studies but I suppose that depends on what your standards for a good university are. I've studied film in college and as part of my course at university and I got a 1st Class Degree. I promise you that Film Studies is worth it if you really want to uncover the hidden meanings of films and look at them from various standpoints.

Honestly for people to tell you that what you want to do is useless only shows their lack of knowledge based on questionable perceptions of it. You can always try it and if it isn't working out you can change it in the 2nd year-but I believe you can drop out if you do so in a short window of time.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
What do they mean by a "soft" subject-do they mean it's easy? I wouldn't say Film Studies is easy it's a subject that can greatly improve your analytical skills and you get to discover meanings of what you see on screen, how sound and editing work to create a director's vision and so on. I think you should do what you love and don't follow anything else no matter what anybody says.

I think you can get into a good uni with Film Studies but I suppose that depends on what your standards for a good university are. I've studied film in college and as part of my course at university and I got a 1st Class Degree. I promise you that Film Studies is worth it if you really want to uncover the hidden meanings of films and look at them from various standpoints.

Honestly for people to tell you that what you want to do is useless only shows their lack of knowledge based on questionable perceptions of it. You can always try it and if it isn't working out you can change it in the 2nd year-but I believe you can drop out if you do so in a short window of time.

I would love to do Film studies. I remember as a kid I used to watch the behind the scenes for my favourite movies and I made it my dream to become a movie director. However, as I have grown older I don't think It's likely I'm becoming a 'big-budget Hollywood film-maker' so right now I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I'm also thinking about changing the subject because it is very similar to another subject I'm taking: creative media so my options for university and a future career is very limited.
Original post by Sufman
I would love to do Film studies. I remember as a kid I used to watch the behind the scenes for my favourite movies and I made it my dream to become a movie director. However, as I have grown older I don't think It's likely I'm becoming a 'big-budget Hollywood film-maker' so right now I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I'm also thinking about changing the subject because it is very similar to another subject I'm taking: creative media so my options for university and a future career is very limited.

As long as you keep what you want to do as the top priority then you won't fail. Good luck!
Original post by Sufman

In that case, I think that if you really want to change a subject, switching one of the BTECs to an essay-based subject would be a good idea rather than changing film studies. Changing from media to an A-level would give you a wider range of subjects which would be good for university-level study, but if you prefer media to business then you could change that.
Reply 8
Original post by ArtisticScreech
In that case, I think that if you really want to change a subject, switching one of the BTECs to an essay-based subject would be a good idea rather than changing film studies. Changing from media to an A-level would give you a wider range of subjects which would be good for university-level study, but if you prefer media to business then you could change that.

I've looked over this and according to my option blocks I can change from Film studies or Media to Btec Applied Law. If I am to change to this subject, I would probably replace Film studies for applied law. in creative digital media, i can do film related things, ive looked over the subject and there is a topic dedicated to film fiction. i think im going to change a level film for btec applied law. ill be doing all btecs and the subjects may give me more options in uni. Btec Business, Btec Creative Digital Media and Btec Applied Law doesn't sound so bad.
Original post by Sufman
I've looked over this and according to my option blocks I can change from Film studies or Media to Btec Applied Law. If I am to change to this subject, I would probably replace Film studies for applied law. in creative digital media, i can do film related things, ive looked over the subject and there is a topic dedicated to film fiction. i think im going to change a level film for btec applied law. ill be doing all btecs and the subjects may give me more options in uni. Btec Business, Btec Creative Digital Media and Btec Applied Law doesn't sound so bad.

Doing 3 BTECs sounds very full-on imo - If you're doing a national certificate which is equivalent to 2 A-levels, that would be the equivalent of 6 A-levels with a lot of coursework to stay on top of and would not really provide any benefit when applying to university. I think a mixture of A-levels and BTECs (whether you want to keep your current options, take 2 A-levels and a BTEC or switch media to applied law) would be easier to cope with
Reply 10
Original post by ArtisticScreech
Doing 3 BTECs sounds very full-on imo - If you're doing a national certificate which is equivalent to 2 A-levels, that would be the equivalent of 6 A-levels with a lot of coursework to stay on top of and would not really provide any benefit when applying to university. I think a mixture of A-levels and BTECs (whether you want to keep your current options, take 2 A-levels and a BTEC or switch media to applied law) would be easier to cope with

Each Btec that I am doing is equivalent to 1 a-level. I really prefer Practical work than academic work so I really think that I should do mostly btecs.

Quick Reply

Latest