The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Official University of Reading 2022 Applicants Thread

:wavey: This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process :thumbsup:
Are you applying or thinking of applying for 2022 entry? Come in and have a chat!

Icebreaker questions

What course are you applying for/thinking of applying for?
What universities are you thinking of?
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
(Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.)

You can check out a list of other applicants threads here.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi Everyone!

Just a note to everyone who is thinking of applying for 2022: if you do have any questions about courses or life at Reading in general, we are here to help. No question is a silly one!

Good luck for all of you applying! We look forward to hopefully welcoming you at Reading very soon!

Skye :smile:
Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by UniofReading
Hi Everyone!

Just a note to everyone who is thinking of applying for 2022: if you do have any questions about courses or life at Reading in general, we are here to help. No question is a silly one!

Good luck for all of you applying! We look forward to hopefully welcoming you at Reading very soon!

Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador

How does the university help students who are lonely and struggling to make friends? Is reading as good as the Russell group unis as well?
Original post by Bazz78
How does the university help students who are lonely and struggling to make friends? Is reading as good as the Russell group unis as well?

Hi @Bazz78

A great and very important question!
The University is constantly trying to find new ways to help students in all areas and have a great number of services already available for all circumstances, including wellbeing support, peer support and much more. You can find out more about all the different types of support services currently available here.
In terms of helping students who are lonely to make friends, the Union put on a number of events too for everyone of all interests. This very much includes things for those who don't like to drink, prefer more quiet environments and so on. These events are a great way to meet new people and find friends who have things in common with you. I would also encourage you to check out societies for things that interest you as this really helped me when I felt lonely/wanted to make new friends - you can check out what's available here.
One thing Reading are very good at as a university, is always having people available to talk to and/or point you in the right direction of someone who can help/things you can do, so if you're ever at a crossroads and don't know where to go for advice, you can always email the support centre or even a tutor and they will be able to guide you on who to contact. Everyone is always happy to help and want you to settle in well at Reading!

In terms of comparison to Russell groups, Reading is high in a number of league tables for numerous courses on offer, including subjects like Agriculture and Social Sciences, and is also in the top 20 for research meaning it is constantly developing new ideas and establishing research used worldwide that is implemented into teaching, taught by the very people who established it often, and there are always opportunities for you to be part of those movements as part of the university which is very exciting! Is there a course in particular you were thinking of that I could give you more details on?
On a personal note, I have loved being at Reading so far. The facilities on offer are fantastic i.e. for my course, we have an on-site NHS clinic which is used by the public - something that most other unis don't have, for example. Also, the teaching is thorough and help is always on hand when we need it. The campus is beautiful and there is a real sense of community that you can feel just by walking around! I would definitely check it out, even if it's just going to an open day to see for yourself. You can book an open day to come visit us, explore the campus and find out more about studying here from current students and lecturers here.

Hope this is helpful, but if you have any other questions, please do feel free to ask! We are happy to help wherever possible!:smile:
Skye
2nd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by UniofReading
Hi @Bazz78

A great and very important question!
The University is constantly trying to find new ways to help students in all areas and have a great number of services already available for all circumstances, including wellbeing support, peer support and much more. You can find out more about all the different types of support services currently available here.
In terms of helping students who are lonely to make friends, the Union put on a number of events too for everyone of all interests. This very much includes things for those who don't like to drink, prefer more quiet environments and so on. These events are a great way to meet new people and find friends who have things in common with you. I would also encourage you to check out societies for things that interest you as this really helped me when I felt lonely/wanted to make new friends - you can check out what's available here.
One thing Reading are very good at as a university, is always having people available to talk to and/or point you in the right direction of someone who can help/things you can do, so if you're ever at a crossroads and don't know where to go for advice, you can always email the support centre or even a tutor and they will be able to guide you on who to contact. Everyone is always happy to help and want you to settle in well at Reading!

In terms of comparison to Russell groups, Reading is high in a number of league tables for numerous courses on offer, including subjects like Agriculture and Social Sciences, and is also in the top 20 for research meaning it is constantly developing new ideas and establishing research used worldwide that is implemented into teaching, taught by the very people who established it often, and there are always opportunities for you to be part of those movements as part of the university which is very exciting! Is there a course in particular you were thinking of that I could give you more details on?
On a personal note, I have loved being at Reading so far. The facilities on offer are fantastic i.e. for my course, we have an on-site NHS clinic which is used by the public - something that most other unis don't have, for example. Also, the teaching is thorough and help is always on hand when we need it. The campus is beautiful and there is a real sense of community that you can feel just by walking around! I would definitely check it out, even if it's just going to an open day to see for yourself. You can book an open day to come visit us, explore the campus and find out more about studying here from current students and lecturers here.

Hope this is helpful, but if you have any other questions, please do feel free to ask! We are happy to help wherever possible!:smile:
Skye

Hi Skye,
Thank you so much for all this advice! The course that I want to study is business management and accounting. It appealed to me as it is ranked pretty on the rank tables and it is triple-accredited which is very appealing. The university is only 50 miles away from my house so I might live at home. I also worry about the hygiene of accommodation especially shared accommodation as I am a bit of a germaphobe and prefer to have a very clean environment to study in. I haven't fully made my mind up yet but is there any accommodation only for myself alone nobody else. Also is the price expensive? I believe taking the train home would work out cheaper as opposed to staying at the uni halls I believe.

Can you also please explain to me the different types of accommodation there are within the uni? I would also like to know if this university is a city or campus university? I feel quite overwhelmed having to sort all these things out at once but I will post more questions if I need
more help!

Thanks again
Original post by Bazz78
Hi Skye,
Thank you so much for all this advice! The course that I want to study is business management and accounting. It appealed to me as it is ranked pretty on the rank tables and it is triple-accredited which is very appealing. The university is only 50 miles away from my house so I might live at home. I also worry about the hygiene of accommodation especially shared accommodation as I am a bit of a germaphobe and prefer to have a very clean environment to study in. I haven't fully made my mind up yet but is there any accommodation only for myself alone nobody else. Also is the price expensive? I believe taking the train home would work out cheaper as opposed to staying at the uni halls I believe.

Can you also please explain to me the different types of accommodation there are within the uni? I would also like to know if this university is a city or campus university? I feel quite overwhelmed having to sort all these things out at once but I will post more questions if I need
more help!

Thanks again

Hi!

That sounds great - we have some great facilities for that course here at Reading, especially due to our Henley Business School!

It's totally okay if you'd prefer to commute, if you think that is more suitable for you and you could make that work effectively in your situation. We do have accommodation available for single people though, if that is something you would like to look into. We have a number of studios available, including ones in our Northcourt Avenue Houses, which may appeal to you. We have a number of accommodation choices you can explore, and there is also a guide that you will find attached on that page that might help (I have tried to attach it but I can't seem to work it out, but you should be able to access it on the link above).

There are many types of accommodation available, from catered to self-catered, en-suites to shared bathrooms, on campus to off campus, shared flats to single studios. Is there a certain type you'd be most fond of that I can give you more information on in detail?
The university is a campus-based university, so everything you need is in one place, and the town is only a short walk or bus ride away too so everything is easily accessible whether it's on or off campus.

Hope this helps!

Good luck with researching and deciding!

Reply 6
Hi everyone!
My name is Amy, and the course I plan on applying to is modern languages & international relations. :smile:

I'm from Scotland, so I'd be moving quite far from home if I ended up attending Reading which is definitely something I'm open to doing, but it is also a worry of mine in terms of feeling lonely, not having that support within a reasonable distance etc.
It would be nice to chat to a few others who may be in the same boat, or just in general !!
Original post by amyyyyr
Hi everyone!
My name is Amy, and the course I plan on applying to is modern languages & international relations. :smile:

I'm from Scotland, so I'd be moving quite far from home if I ended up attending Reading which is definitely something I'm open to doing, but it is also a worry of mine in terms of feeling lonely, not having that support within a reasonable distance etc.
It would be nice to chat to a few others who may be in the same boat, or just in general !!

Hey @amyyyyr!

So great to hear your thinking of coming to Reading and studying such an interesting course!

There are a lot of people in your position and Reading takes a lot of International Students as well as other students who can't get back home easily, so the university is very experienced in offering as much support as possible to students from all backgrounds.
You can read more about our support services here.

Also, I would definitely recommend getting involved in societies that surround your interests. These are a great way to meet like-minded people as well as helping you balance your education with social time. Explore our extensive list of societies here.

If you go to our Facebook page, there will be groups set up at some point for Offer Holders which will be a good place to chat to other new students in your halls or on your course.

Please do let us know if we can answer any questions!
Good luck with making a decision on a university and getting offers!

Reply 8
Original post by Chronoscope
:wavey: This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process :thumbsup:
Are you applying or thinking of applying for 2022 entry? Come in and have a chat!

Icebreaker questions

GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Hello!

Psychology!
Nottingham, Southampton, St Andrews and Essex (Reading would be my second option, nottingham my first)
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*AB
GCSE grades: 7s and 6s
Original post by xsimx
Hello!

Psychology!
Nottingham, Southampton, St Andrews and Essex (Reading would be my second option, nottingham my first)
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*AB
GCSE grades: 7s and 6s

Hey!

Great to hear you're considering Reading!

Please let us know if we can answer any questions about life as a student at Reading or your course. We'd love to help.

Good luck with your grades at the end of the year!

Reply 10

Icebreaker questions

GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

I'm thinking to do economics, is it worth it?
Original post by kikomi
I'm thinking to do economics, is it worth it?

Hey @kikomi

This is a very open ended question you have asked! I cannot speak from experience of studying economics but I can talk about Reading University in general.
I have loved my time here so far. I have made so many incredible friends who I hope I will remain close with for the rest of my life. I have learnt so many new skills, not just those taught to me by lecturers for my course but skills such as time management, self motivation and discipline, budgeting, social skills and so many others. I have also made some incredible memories here with some amazing people, experiencing things I wouldn't have had access to if I hadn't chosen to study here.

In summary, yes I do think it is worth it. I'd go back and make the same choices again if I had to.

I hope this helps and if you have any more specific questions please do let me know.

Zoe
Third year Biological sciences and student ambassador

Icebreaker questions

GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Hi, I am an international student from Kenya and I am applying for Business Management at Reading/Henley Business School. I take History, Economics and Psychology at A level. The other unis I applied to were King's, Birmingham, Newcastle and Kent. I was particularly attracted to Reading because the business school has a strong international reputation and the uni is close to London where I have some family :smile:
Original post by Bazz78
Hi Zoe,
I have attended the university open day. However this university is no longer going to a part of my 5 options and I will not be applying to this university at all. This is because a staff member for my course was acting very condescending, talking down to me whilst doing gestures about me and laughing with 2 other students. I am quite a socially awkward person and I was quiet and just nodding but then I was shocked to see what was being said about me. In a way I felt like I was being made fun of for who I am. The immaturity of the staff have completely turned me off this university. Nobody deserves to be treated this way! I didn’t appreciate it at all. I am very disappointed that I have been treated this way and never would I have thought today was going to be like this. Confident people could thrive at this university but this has not set a good example on how introverted and more socially awkward people would be treated at this university. Apart from that the student were all helpful but this experience has ruined my day. So much so that i had to call up Samaritans to speak to them about what happened to me! I would like to make a complaint!

Hi @Bazz78,

I am extremely sorry to hear of the experience you had during our Open Day this weekend. I will look into this as a matter of urgency.

At the University of Reading we pride ourselves on our welcoming and open community of colleagues and students so to learn that you had an experience contrary to this is very disappointing.

If you feel able and would like to talk to us about what happened in more detail then please contact me on [email protected].

Best wishes Rachel South
(Head of Global Recruitment (UK & Outreach)

Icebreaker questions

GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

got an offer ib predicted 35
Business Economics BSC
offer was 28 points
Original post by Anonymous
got an offer ib predicted 35
Business Economics BSC
offer was 28 points

Hi!
Congratulations on your offer!

Please let us know if you have any questions we can help with in your decision making process:smile:

Skye
2nd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Reply 16
Just received an offer for Psychology! I got a confirmation email only last night, so i thought it would take a while for them to make a decision.
Really happy :smile:
Original post by xsimx
Just received an offer for Psychology! I got a confirmation email only last night, so i thought it would take a while for them to make a decision.
Really happy :smile:

Hey @xsimx

That’s great news - congratulations!
Let us know if you have any questions we can help with. Hope to welcome you to Reading in September!

2nd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
just got an offer to study law at reading for bbb!!! i’m currently studying sociology, law and politics
Reply 19

Icebreaker questions

GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

I just got an offer for psychology with foundation (CCD since I’m going to make reading my firm choice)
How lenient is reading, keeping in mind that I may get a grade lower than the offer?

Latest

Trending

Trending