The Student Room Group

UEA A100 2022 Entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University of East Anglia A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about UEA.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the UEA A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

UEA A100 2021 thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560864

For general information click: https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergr.../mbbs-medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergr...requirements_2

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

does anybody know the UCAT cut off last year for undergrads? university says the minimum cut off interviewed was like 2000 or something, and i heard somewhere that uea hadn’t had a cut off in years, but i’ve also heard people in last year’s thread getting rejected with 2500/2600+
Original post by cyrobyro12
does anybody know the UCAT cut off last year for undergrads? university says the minimum cut off interviewed was like 2000 or something, and i heard somewhere that uea hadn’t had a cut off in years, but i’ve also heard people in last year’s thread getting rejected with 2500/2600+

UEA still has GCSE and A level requirements so people may have had high UCATs but not met those?
Equally last year was a bit crazy so while previously they only rejected <2nd decile AFAIK that may have changed. @GANFYD might know more.
hi there

I did my UCAT this week and not very happy with 2600 B3 is this enough for Norwich ? I have straight 9s GCSE and predicted 3A* and A

thanks in advance
Reply 4
Original post by becausethenight
UEA still has GCSE and A level requirements so people may have had high UCATs but not met those?
Equally last year was a bit crazy so while previously they only rejected <2nd decile AFAIK that may have changed. @GANFYD might know more.

It is weird, as they have denied having a cut off for a few years, but did indeed reject people in the 2600s last year, who seemed to meet minimum requirements, so I can only assume their cut off also jumped up quite a bit
Original post by GANFYD
It is weird, as they have denied having a cut off for a few years, but did indeed reject people in the 2600s last year, who seemed to meet minimum requirements, so I can only assume their cut off also jumped up quite a bit

It does seem weird - I might see if there are any FOIs to them. Could it be SJT bands...?
Reply 6
It does seem weird - I might see if there are any FOIs to them. Could it be SJT bands...?

They say they use those at interview, but not before.
I think cut offs just went up last year. Have sent FOIs and they give very low lowest scores, but 2021 entry was different, like everywhere else
Original post by GANFYD
I think cut offs just went up last year. Have sent FOIs and they give very low lowest scores, but 2021 entry was different, like everywhere else

I was looking at the FOIs too and I've seen that the average score of those getting an interview was around 2700 for 2021 entry, with the minimum invited to interview being 1970 (perhaps contextual?). Those offered had an average of 2740 and minimum score of 1970. The average score definitely has increased from 2020 entry though :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by WTSBLG
I was looking at the FOIs too and I've seen that the average score of those getting an interview was around 2700 for 2021 entry, with the minimum invited to interview being 1970 (perhaps contextual?). Those offered had an average of 2740 and minimum score of 1970. The average score definitely has increased from 2020 entry though :s-smilie:

They are a funny one, as actually are a really good choice for someone wiht a high UCAT, as it is used post-interview, but people with high UCATs often think they have better options and do not consider it.
Maybe people are getting wise and applying here for the advantage their high score will give them.
It is one of the few places left where people with low UCAT's may stand a chance, so if there is no other real choice, it is worth a go, as they have had low cuts offs int he past, but we have lost Lincoln and Plymouth from that category (unless an A* predicted, and they are going to push UCAT up this year, too), SGUL's cut off has gone up, Leicester has moved up to needing 2500+ AND full GCSE score (used to have a cut off where a very low UCAT was OK with full GCSE marks), and Nottingham could also have been OK with a low score, provided full GCSEs and A B1 (though this is actually still the case, if the subsection scores fall right, as for Lincoln!). And Keele and Sunderland need R&R content.....
Original post by GANFYD
They are a funny one, as actually are a really good choice for someone wiht a high UCAT, as it is used post-interview, but people with high UCATs often think they have better options and do not consider it.
Maybe people are getting wise and applying here for the advantage their high score will give them.
It is one of the few places left where people with low UCAT's may stand a chance, so if there is no other real choice, it is worth a go, as they have had low cuts offs int he past, but we have lost Lincoln and Plymouth from that category (unless an A* predicted, and they are going to push UCAT up this year, too), SGUL's cut off has gone up, Leicester has moved up to needing 2500+ AND full GCSE score (used to have a cut off where a very low UCAT was OK with full GCSE marks), and Nottingham could also have been OK with a low score, provided full GCSEs and A B1 (though this is actually still the case, if the subsection scores fall right, as for Lincoln!). And Keele and Sunderland need R&R content.....

I completely agree, all score and requirements have gone up, and I wouldn't be surprised if they go up again! Though UEA haven't specified that they have a cut-off I do think that due to how many people are applying with higher scores since people know they'll have the advantage, those scoring lower probably have an even slimmer chance. Who knows how many unis will be left where you could apply with a lower score in future... :frown:
Original post by GANFYD

Yup, it seems weird. They also seem to have offered 50% fewer (!!) interviews in 2021 compared to 2020, so people must be selected for somehow... https://www.uea.ac.uk/web/about/university-information/statutory-legal-policies/freedom-of-information/disclosure-log/-/asset_publisher/MzkqxGGjjxNc/content/foi_21-219-ug-medical-programme-admissions?_com_liferay_asset_publisher_web_portlet_AssetPublisherPortlet_INSTANCE_MzkqxGGjjxNc_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.uea.ac.uk%3A443%2Fweb%2Fabout%2Funiversity-information%2Fstatutory-legal-policies%2Ffreedom-of-information%2Fdisclosure-log%3Fp_p_id%3Dcom_liferay_asset_publisher_web_portlet_AssetPublisherPortlet_INSTANCE_MzkqxGGjjxNc%26p_p_lifecycle%3D0%26p_p_state%3Dnormal%26p_p_mode%3Dview%26_com_liferay_asset_publisher_web_portlet_AssetPublisherPortlet_INSTANCE_MzkqxGGjjxNc_cur%3D2%26_com_liferay_asset_publisher_web_portlet_AssetPublisherPortlet_INSTANCE_MzkqxGGjjxNc_delta%3D15%26p_r_p_resetCur%3Dfalse%26_com_liferay_asset_publisher_web_portlet_AssetPublisherPortlet_INSTANCE_MzkqxGGjjxNc_assetEntryId%3D5478626

I feel there is something they are not disclosing here and the lowest UCAT may be someone with significant contextual. Can also see the number of offers to achieved grades doubled in 2021 which may bode something for 2022.
Original post by GANFYD

It is all getting harder :sadnod: I think it's a real shame personally because the diversity of admissions meant that it was harder for good applicants to be iced out based on any one factor.
Original post by WTSBLG
50% fewer interviews :eek: that number seems so out of place compared to the other years

Yup :eek:
On the plus side, it still seems that the UCAT cutoff if there was one was around 2600, probably as it typically attracts lower UCAT-applicants, and may mean they are less likely to have over-offered, plus seem to have an excellent interview to offer ratio in 2021.
Yup :eek:
On the plus side, it still seems that the UCAT cutoff if there was one was around 2600, probably as it typically attracts lower UCAT-applicants, and may mean they are less likely to have over-offered, plus seem to have an excellent interview to offer ratio in 2021.

They have varying numbers on their average UCAT but let's hope it's around 2600, but yep I didn't even notice but it's an amazing interview to offer ratio :tongue:
Reply 15

See, I am horribly suspicious, and see those 41 achieved grade offers being made to people who had to "reapply" for 2021 after meeting grades via the CAGs u-turn, hence filling about 20% of their around 200 places, so they clamped down and cut interview numbers, as we have been saying is one way of dealing with it.
And these applicants would have been automatically parachuted in to these places, unlike usual resit applicants, who would have to go through the competitive application process. Certainly, 41 is a big jump from their usual numbers.
Along with those having to "resit" TAGs, who would have had a place held for them and not had to achieve the usual A* grade in a resit. And this would explain the big drop in their usual offer numbers, too, as they usually over-offer 2.5 to 1, but were only a bit over 1.5 to 1, so must have known they had places filled already. Either that or they were much better at foreseeing the grade inflation issues from this summer, so maybe they just have sensible people in charge (actually, I know one of them very well, so might just ask..... not that he would tell me, of course :lol: )
Original post by GANFYD

i think i will stay clear from uea this year. this is not directly relevant to this uni i apologise, but what do you estimate the plymouth ucat cut off will be? i have a 2500, so do you reckon i will stand a chance? i can repost this in the plymouth thread if necessary
Original post by GANFYD
See, I am horribly suspicious, and see those 41 achieved grade offers being made to people who had to "reapply" for 2021 after meeting grades via the CAGs u-turn, hence filling about 20% of their around 200 places, so they clamped down and cut interview numbers, as we have been saying is one way of dealing with it.
And these applicants would have been automatically parachuted in to these places, unlike usual resit applicants, who would have to go through the competitive application process. Certainly, 41 is a big jump from their usual numbers.
Along with those having to "resit" TAGs, who would have had a place held for them and not had to achieve the usual A* grade in a resit. And this would explain the big drop in their usual offer numbers, too, as they usually over-offer 2.5 to 1, but were only a bit over 1.5 to 1, so must have known they had places filled already. Either that or they were much better at foreseeing the grade inflation issues from this summer, so maybe they just have sensible people in charge (actually, I know one of them very well, so might just ask..... not that he would tell me, of course :lol: )

They certainly seem to have tried to clamp down on interview numbers, and if someone is your friend they must be very sensible indeed :tongue: But as foreshadowing this cycle it is pretty crazy, if we are thinking 50% reductions in interviews and 100s fewer offers!

Someone could probably try and run the maths on how many of the 41 are CAGs v autumn resit and frankly I suspect there may be 1 or 2 'genuine' reapplicants in there too, as more people did reapply...?
Original post by WTSBLG
50% fewer interviews :eek: that number seems so out of place compared to the other years

ikr it's so strange that they conducted 476 interviews last year (from above 1000 in 2019!!) and gave out just above 378 offers. i was considering applying but the drastic changes to the selection process are putting me off slightly
Reply 19
They certainly seem to have tried to clamp down on interview numbers, and if someone is your friend they must be very sensible indeed :tongue: But as foreshadowing this cycle it is pretty crazy, if we are thinking 50% reductions in interviews and 100s fewer offers!

Someone could probably try and run the maths on how many of the 41 are CAGs v autumn resit and frankly I suspect there may be 1 or 2 'genuine' reapplicants in there too, as more people did reapply...?

The autumn resits would have had to reapply, though, as could not defer places for grades that were not achieved, so anyone "resitting" counts as a reapplicant in the figures. So applicants with achieved grades would presumably be CAGs u-turns they could not fit in and some of those who chose to apply there having got no previous offers
I really don't think we can rely on anything that has happened in previous years wrt numbers of interviews, offers etc, as there are too many variables we cannot get information about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending