The Student Room Group

University of Plymouth A100 2022 Entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University of Plymouth A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Plymouth. :biggrin:

Welcome to the University of Plymouth A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

Plymouth A100 thread 2021:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560800

For general information click: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...lor-of-surgery

For entry requirements click: (see above)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

First! Do you think Plymouth's UCAT cut-off will increase this year?
Original post by medprincess
First! Do you think Plymouth's UCAT cut-off will increase this year?

We don’t know :tongue:
If they don’t keep the A* requirement I don’t see how else they can shortlist, though.
I can't seem to find a plymouth A100 2022 entry thread so I'll just post here.

Does anyone know how plymouth score academics? E.g. 9/8/A* - 4 points 7/A - 3 etc
Reply 4
Original post by US123456
I can't seem to find a plymouth A100 2022 entry thread so I'll just post here.

Does anyone know how plymouth score academics? E.g. 9/8/A* - 4 points 7/A - 3 etc

They don’t, they just ask you meet minimum requirements and use UCAT to shortlist
Original post by GANFYD
They don’t, they just ask you meet minimum requirements and use UCAT to shortlist

thanks! I appreciate the work you do on here and that ur super busy but on the "Where should I apply for med school" thread, I am kinda stuck on where to apply so I've posted my stats but havent received a response yet. Should I repost them in a couple of days?
Reply 6
Original post by US123456
thanks! I appreciate the work you do on here and that ur super busy but on the "Where should I apply for med school" thread, I am kinda stuck on where to apply so I've posted my stats but havent received a response yet. Should I repost them in a couple of days?

I’ve stomped off in a huff 😂😂 but I usually get over it, and there are others offering advice, so I’m sure someone will get back to you, and if not, repost and tag me in the next couple of days and I’ll look
Original post by GANFYD
I’ve stomped off in a huff 😂😂 but I usually get over it, and there are others offering advice, so I’m sure someone will get back to you, and if not, repost and tag me in the next couple of days and I’ll look

Thanks :smile: I've tagged you in my post so whenever you can or if anyone else does then that would be great!
I emailed plymouth about the A* and this is what they said
Based on the information below, the typical offer is AAA alongside the UCAT and your GCSE’s. the A* is only used in if we have an overwhelming amount of applications and then we use the A* for shortlisting for interview as we did for 2021 entry. However we are not pre publishing our UCAT this year to try and avoid using the A* for interview.

I feel like they're hinting at the fact that UCAT cut off may go up? @University of Plymouth
Original post by sunflower1p
I emailed plymouth about the A* and this is what they said
Based on the information below, the typical offer is AAA alongside the UCAT and your GCSE’s. the A* is only used in if we have an overwhelming amount of applications and then we use the A* for shortlisting for interview as we did for 2021 entry. However we are not pre publishing our UCAT this year to try and avoid using the A* for interview.

I feel like they're hinting at the fact that UCAT cut off may go up? @University of Plymouth

Oh dear, looks like it's going to go up... :cry:
I suspect they will not use the A* in shortlisting, then, as they can simply rank people and pick the X people with highest UCATs?
Original post by becausethenight
Oh dear, looks like it's going to go up... :cry:
I suspect they will not use the A* in shortlisting, then, as they can simply rank people and pick the X people with highest UCATs?

How high do you suspect it will go?

we can't really tell at all!! It's really unfortunate as they have a history of accepting a lower UCAT but that statement just contradicts it?! But I assume its going to be enough to shortlist successfully?

I'm not psychic sadly!
I imagine Plymouth will still generally attract lower UCAT candidates (remember most people won't be this plugged into admissions at all and many people with 2700+ wouldn't consider Plymouth anyway), and people with a lower UCAT will still have to apply somewhere they have a chance. I'd imagine it will be >2400 and probably in the 2500s to 2600ish but that is 100% not fact based.
Hello!
Could GANFYD, becausethenight or anyone help me in deciding whether these stats would get me an interview at Plymouth?
I’m applying as a Home applicant and this is my first time applying to uni.

GCSEs:
Grade 9 x4: Biology, Business, Religious Studies, Geography
Grade 8 x5: Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Maths, Physics
Grade 7 x1: French

A Level Predicted Grades:
Maths- A*
Chemistry- A*
Biology- A

UCAT scores:
Verbal Reasoning: 610
Decision Making: 750
Quantitative Reasoning: 830
Abstract Reasoning: 670
Total Cognitive Score: 2860
SJT Band 2

Widening Participation: I attend a state run selective grammar school, so I don’t think I qualify for any contextual or WP considerations

Work Experience: Medic Life and Pre Med projects virtual work experiences
Volunteering at COVID vaccination clinics
Volunteering at Intermediate Care centres as a Drinks and Tea Server
Volunteer at Dementia Speciality Care home
Volunteer at Barnardos Charity store
Brighton and Sussex Medical School Interactive course
Moocs

Universities I’m interested in:
At the minute, I’m considering Plymouth as I have seen the city and I like it.
I’m not sure whether my UCAT is high enough for Plymouth.
Would my Band 2 in SJT affect me in any way when being selected for interview at Plymouth?

Also, when universities like Plymouth say they have a cut off point for interview selection based on UCAT scores of the candidates, does that mean they invite every applicant who has a UCAT score higher than the cut off or do they start ranking applicants who have exceeded the cut off point?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Original post by godsservant1
Hello!
Could GANFYD, becausethenight or anyone help me in deciding whether these stats would get me an interview at Plymouth?
I’m applying as a Home applicant and this is my first time applying to uni.

GCSEs:
Grade 9 x4: Biology, Business, Religious Studies, Geography
Grade 8 x5: Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Maths, Physics
Grade 7 x1: French

A Level Predicted Grades:
Maths- A*
Chemistry- A*
Biology- A

UCAT scores:
Verbal Reasoning: 610
Decision Making: 750
Quantitative Reasoning: 830
Abstract Reasoning: 670
Total Cognitive Score: 2860
SJT Band 2

Widening Participation: I attend a state run selective grammar school, so I don’t think I qualify for any contextual or WP considerations

Work Experience: Medic Life and Pre Med projects virtual work experiences
Volunteering at COVID vaccination clinics
Volunteering at Intermediate Care centres as a Drinks and Tea Server
Volunteer at Dementia Speciality Care home
Volunteer at Barnardos Charity store
Brighton and Sussex Medical School Interactive course
Moocs

Universities I’m interested in:
At the minute, I’m considering Plymouth as I have seen the city and I like it.
I’m not sure whether my UCAT is high enough for Plymouth.
Would my Band 2 in SJT affect me in any way when being selected for interview at Plymouth?

Also, when universities like Plymouth say they have a cut off point for interview selection based on UCAT scores of the candidates, does that mean they invite every applicant who has a UCAT score higher than the cut off or do they start ranking applicants who have exceeded the cut off point?

Any help would be much appreciated!

You should be fine - historic cutoffs were 2400 and even with them not releasing it this year you’d be well set. Plymouth don’t look at SJT.

With the cutoffs Plymouth just uses a hard cutoff as of this year - they will rank everyone, go down as many people as they have interviews, and that person’s UCAT is the cutoff.
Hey everyone :hello:

I've been in touch with the Health Faculty team for more information on this (as it's not something I'm familiar with!) and they have kindly provided me with the following statement, which I hope clears up some of your questions or queries :smile:.

Thank you for your interest in studying with the University of Plymouth.

Within all parts of the Admissions process, we aim to be open and transparent with our applicants. For 2021 entry, we received an overwhelming number of applications (to a total of 1892, compared to 1445 for 2020 entry), and it was not feasible for us to interview all candidates who applied with AAA at A Level (to include Biology and a second Science from Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Psychology) and the minimum advertised UCAT score of 2400 overall. When selecting candidates for interview, we must ensure there is a reasonable chance of success following interview, as we would not want to waste time or unfairly raise hopes for applicants.

For 2021 entry, as in previous years, we made the decision to pre-publish our UCAT threshold. As such, we felt it would be unfair to raise the advertised UCAT threshold when selecting for interview. This left us with no choice but to use the maximum advertised A Level requirement of A*AA.

Following selection for interview this year, our Admissions Advisory Panel decided to no longer pre-publish the UCAT score in the interest of fairness to our future applicants. When selecting for interview for 2022 entry onwards, we will continue to exclusively consider academic criteria, however, we will be unable to confirm in advance of shortlisting what the required UCAT score or A Level grades will be.

There is, of course, no guarantee that the UCAT threshold will increase, as the UCAT and A Level thresholds will depend entirely on the number and quality of applications we receive this year. Our previously accepted UCAT scores are advertised on the course webpage, which you can access by clicking here.

We hope that this information helps you to make informed decisions when completing your UCAS applications and wish you all the best with your application process. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact [email protected].

Good luck with your applications everyone :smartass:

Luke - University of Plymouth
Reply 16
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hey everyone :hello:

I've been in touch with the Health Faculty team for more information on this (as it's not something I'm familiar with!) and they have kindly provided me with the following statement, which I hope clears up some of your questions or queries :smile:.

Thank you for your interest in studying with the University of Plymouth.

Within all parts of the Admissions process, we aim to be open and transparent with our applicants. For 2021 entry, we received an overwhelming number of applications (to a total of 1892, compared to 1445 for 2020 entry), and it was not feasible for us to interview all candidates who applied with AAA at A Level (to include Biology and a second Science from Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Psychology) and the minimum advertised UCAT score of 2400 overall. When selecting candidates for interview, we must ensure there is a reasonable chance of success following interview, as we would not want to waste time or unfairly raise hopes for applicants.

For 2021 entry, as in previous years, we made the decision to pre-publish our UCAT threshold. As such, we felt it would be unfair to raise the advertised UCAT threshold when selecting for interview. This left us with no choice but to use the maximum advertised A Level requirement of A*AA.

Following selection for interview this year, our Admissions Advisory Panel decided to no longer pre-publish the UCAT score in the interest of fairness to our future applicants. When selecting for interview for 2022 entry onwards, we will continue to exclusively consider academic criteria, however, we will be unable to confirm in advance of shortlisting what the required UCAT score or A Level grades will be.

There is, of course, no guarantee that the UCAT threshold will increase, as the UCAT and A Level thresholds will depend entirely on the number and quality of applications we receive this year. Our previously accepted UCAT scores are advertised on the course webpage, which you can access by clicking here.

We hope that this information helps you to make informed decisions when completing your UCAS applications and wish you all the best with your application process. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact [email protected].

Good luck with your applications everyone :smartass:

Luke - University of Plymouth

I read this that they will apply whatever criteria they wish to get the required number of interviews. Umm not terribly helpful for a strategic application.
Reply 17
Gcse's
Maths 8
Rs 8
Bio 8
DT 8
Chem 7
physics 7
english lit 7
english lang 7
geography 7
history 7
further maths 6

Predicted
Bio A*
Chem A*
Maths A*

UCAT
2620 sjt band 2
vr 530
dm 710
Qr 710
Ar 670
AVG: 655

No contextuals

was wondering if it would be likely to get an interview with these stats
Reply 18
Gcse's
Maths 8
Rs 8
Bio 8
DT 8
Chem 7
physics 7
english lit 7
english lang 7
geography 7
history 7
further maths 6

Predicted
Bio A*
Chem A*
Maths A*

UCAT
2620 sjt band 2
vr 530
dm 710
Qr 710
Ar 670
AVG: 655

No contextuals

was wondering if it would be likely to get an interview with these stats
What does university of plymouth do to select for interview. Do they have a holistic approach or just take x number of top Ucat scores?

Quick Reply

Latest