The Student Room Group

Further Maths or Economics??!!

I'm doing physics/maths/chemistry
I am hoping to do either Chemical or Mechanical engineering in Uni

my school requires me to choose 4 in first year (yr12)

i have started on the FM scheme but I am thinking of choosing/switching to Economics as it would be easier and I do plan to stick with the main three only in yr13. so I would end up dropping either Fm or econ by the end of yr12

help?

ps the further maths scheme is where I will finish alevel maths in the first year and will take the exam in at the end of yr 12 and if I do well I will already have done maths and would only then learn and do further maths in yr13. if I don't do well in maths first year i will then drop fm
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Further Maths syllabus is pretty different from standard Maths. It includes things like complex numbers, matrices, statistics and some physics, unless it has considerably changed since I went to college.

Beware of overloading yourself with calculations and equations however!
Reply 2
Original post by Opinyons
Further Maths syllabus is pretty different from standard Maths. It includes things like complex numbers, matrices, statistics and some physics, unless it has considerably changed since I went to college.

Beware of overloading yourself with calculations and equations however!

what do you think of the further maths scheme of my 6th form then
Original post by studykid04

So might you end up doing only 2 A levels in Y13 if you drop FM?
Reply 4

Sounds good to be honest. Some of the Core maths topics are pretty basic. I'd check out the syllabus your college is covering first however and perhaps check youtube videos on the content to see how confident you could cover it.

Just to clarify you would have essentially 2x Standard Maths + Physics & Chemistry 1st year, then 2x FM + Physics & Chemistry the 2nd year?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
So might you end up doing only 2 A levels in Y13 if you drop FM?

no, i would do maths/physics/chemistry in yr13
Reply 6
Original post by Opinyons
Sounds good to be honest. Some of the Core maths topics are pretty basic. I'd check out the syllabus your college is covering first however and perhaps check youtube videos on the content to see how confident you could cover it.

Just to clarify you would have essentially 2x Standard Maths + Physics & Chemistry 1st year, then 2x FM + Physics & Chemistry the 2nd year?

yesssssss
no, i would do maths/physics/chemistry in yr13

Not if you sit Maths at the end of Y12?
Reply 8
Not if you sit Maths at the end of Y12?

yeah if i get a* in maths in first year, I would do further maths, physics and chemistry in second year
yeah if i get a* in maths in first year, I would do further maths, physics and chemistry in second year

Sorry so if you get a grade A or B in Maths in Y12 what happens?
Economics is a lot easier and more enjoyable
Reply 11
Sorry so if you get a grade A or B in Maths in Y12 what happens?

if i get an A : that would be my grade for maths and I would go to do further maths in yr13
if I don't get anything lower than an A: I wouldn't do fm in yr13 and would take my level maths in yr13 like normal
if i get an A : that would be my grade for maths and I would go to do further maths in yr13
if I don't get anything lower than an A: I wouldn't do fm in yr13 and would take my level maths in yr13 like normal

So you would re-take maths?

So you'd retake Maths in Y13 if you got a grade below an A? Some unis won't like that ...

What degree are you thinking of?
Reply 14
Original post by econhelp525
So you would re-take maths?

kinda take the as maths mocks in yr12 then the whole a level maths in yr13
Reply 15
So you'd retake Maths in Y13 if you got a grade below an A? Some unis won't like that ...

What degree are you thinking of?

chem engineering or mechanical engineering
chem engineering or mechanical engineering

Your time line is confusing - at what stage is the decision taken to take A level Maths in Year 12? [We do this for maths/FMaths]

If your Maths grade is, say a B for A level in Y12 what happens in Year 13?

Have you checked on subject requirements for the unis/degrees you are thinking of?
Be careful thinking Economics is easy, I got A*'s in Maths and Further maths but only an A in Economics as it was well hard. Honestly if you want to go into engineering Further maths will be so much more useful.

Quick Reply

Latest