The Student Room Group
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website

LPC with MSc in Law, Business and Management

I am due to start the LPC at the University of Law this year and I am wondering whether anyone can share their experience with completing an MSc alongside it? It seems like a good opportunity to get an extra qualification and also provides extra funding while studying in London, but I am just a little unsure about the demands.

What is the workload like with the MSc option? I understand it is means you complete two extra modules, but can anyone expand on what this really felt like?

Also, what was the examination like, particularly for the case study? Were you set a question/ topic and then conducted research, or did you have to find your own area of interest and then go from there?
Original post by Anonymous
I am due to start the LPC at the University of Law this year and I am wondering whether anyone can share their experience with completing an MSc alongside it? It seems like a good opportunity to get an extra qualification and also provides extra funding while studying in London, but I am just a little unsure about the demands.

What is the workload like with the MSc option? I understand it is means you complete two extra modules, but can anyone expand on what this really felt like?

Also, what was the examination like, particularly for the case study? Were you set a question/ topic and then conducted research, or did you have to find your own area of interest and then go from there?

Hi there!

Great question.

I am currently completing the LPC with the LLM attached which differs slightly to the MSc, but I am happy to share my experience.

So the with the MSc, you correctly mention that there are two additional modules. You will choose:

1. Law & Business unit or a fourth elective; and
2. Professional Case Study

With my LLM I chose to complete the Law & Business module instead of picking a fourth elective which is assessed by way of coursework rather than an examination. I found it very interesting as it touched on some of the legal practicalities of working within the industry such as fee structures, bidding for projects and some financial analysis but it is completely up to you whether you choose the Law & Business module or opt to pick a fourth elective. The decision often rests with where your specific interests of law lie.

With the professional case study, you will be given a range of topics (i.e. business law, property law, family law etc) to choose from. You will then produce a 3,000 word response to the case study. As I noted above, I chose the LLM which is broader professional report whereby a question is provided, but there is no such “case-study” to base/tailor the answer on its more like an open ended essay question.

In terms of the workload, I found the masters modules to be fairly manageable. The majority of your time, as with the case study, will be in your research/wider reading so my advice would be to keep organised and tab your notes (and the source(s)!!!) as you progress through the course. It will make life easier in the long run.

You are right in that the added masters qualifies for postgraduate funding and this is a big consideration for a number of students. Even with this, the module also builds on your wider understanding of the law and the commercial realities attached. I think it is a great add-on and entirely manageable alongside the LPC.

Plus you will have another certificate to frame!

I hope this is of some help, please let me know if you have any other questions.

James
ULaw Student Ambassador
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi there!

Great question.

I am currently completing the LPC with the LLM attached which differs slightly to the MSc, but I am happy to share my experience.

So the with the MSc, you correctly mention that there are two additional modules. You will choose:

1. Law & Business unit or a fourth elective; and
2. Professional Case Study

With my LLM I chose to complete the Law & Business module instead of picking a fourth elective which is assessed by way of coursework rather than an examination. I found it very interesting as it touched on some of the legal practicalities of working within the industry such as fee structures, bidding for projects and some financial analysis but it is completely up to you whether you choose the Law & Business module or opt to pick a fourth elective. The decision often rests with where your specific interests of law lie.

With the professional case study, you will be given a range of topics (i.e. business law, property law, family law etc) to choose from. You will then produce a 3,000 word response to the case study. As I noted above, I chose the LLM which is broader professional report whereby a question is provided, but there is no such “case-study” to base/tailor the answer on its more like an open ended essay question.

In terms of the workload, I found the masters modules to be fairly manageable. The majority of your time, as with the case study, will be in your research/wider reading so my advice would be to keep organised and tab your notes (and the source(s)!!!) as you progress through the course. It will make life easier in the long run.

You are right in that the added masters qualifies for postgraduate funding and this is a big consideration for a number of students. Even with this, the module also builds on your wider understanding of the law and the commercial realities attached. I think it is a great add-on and entirely manageable alongside the LPC.

Plus you will have another certificate to frame!

I hope this is of some help, please let me know if you have any other questions.

James
ULaw Student Ambassador

Thanks James, that's really helpful!

I understand you did the LLM, but would you have any information on the maths element at all? Would there be any way to prepare for this before starting the module?

Also, how did you organise your notes? I normally do everything digitally on my laptop and that's worked well for me, but everyone seems to take physical notes and use tabs as you suggested above. Is there a reason for this and could you share any tips for good note-taking/ workflow during the LPC?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks James, that's really helpful!

I understand you did the LLM, but would you have any information on the maths element at all? Would there be any way to prepare for this before starting the module?

Also, how did you organise your notes? I normally do everything digitally on my laptop and that's worked well for me, but everyone seems to take physical notes and use tabs as you suggested above. Is there a reason for this and could you share any tips for good note-taking/ workflow during the LPC?

Hello again,

In terms of the maths involved with the Law and Business module, it started with analysing companies accounts (balance sheets/income statements) and also involved looking at derivatives which are a form of financial contract.

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about preparing too much for this in advance as it is covered in some depth in class and you will be guided through workshops. Although of course there is no harm in having a flick through some business resources - like the Financial Times - to bolster your commercial awareness and also to become familiar with some of financial terminology used.

The hard work will come when you’re studying the module. My best advice would be to ensure that you make use of the resources that are given to you during the workshops, and ask questions! Some of the content may initially seem foreign when compared to previous studies, but I found the module very interesting on the whole, and it really builds on the practicalities (and realities!) of working in legal practice from a business perspective.

In terms of organising your notes, it really is personal preference. I also tend to record everything digitally and then print my notes off to be put in a separate file: the “exam file”. That way when it comes to revision, you have a clean file to annotate, tab-up and otherwise scribble on. But again, it is your choice. I know people who have handwritten their notes and use the hand-outs given by the University to write around so whatever suits you!

On a practical note, when you do start your course, find out whether your exams will be online or in-person. This year I have taken my exams virtually and although it is possible to digitally store your notes, I found having a hard copy was much easier to access and navigate under the time pressures.
With regards to note-taking tips, my advice is to really focus in on the directed reading. When it comes to completing your workshops each week, take the time to really read and understand the outcomes/objectives of the class. There can be a lot of reading some weeks, so its important to find a system which works for you. Plan your weeks ahead and set aside time for reading with breaks as and when necessary.

And finally, make sure you get some good highlighters!

I hope this is of some help, let me know if you have any other questions!

James
ULaw Student Ambassador
Thank you so much for all the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending