The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by eve9
hi, very late to this thread, but i’m going to be applying to cambridge for veterinary medicine this october! i’m currently doing biology, chemistry and religious studies at a level (i’m aiming for A*A*A at least!). at this point in time, i’m focusing on my practise for the NSAA entrance exam, but the time limit makes it so hard!! if anyone here is applying for the same course or doing the same exam, hmu!

Hi, I’m applying for natsci so I’m also doing the NSAA! I totally agree, the time limit is the worst part!!
Reply 781
Original post by s8520
Hi, I’m applying for natsci so I’m also doing the NSAA! I totally agree, the time limit is the worst part!!

ahh! glad i’m not the only one who finds it a nightmare! i also dropped maths at the end of year 12 and i just feel like i’m forgetting everything i ever learnt lol. how are you preparing for the exam? and what a levels are you taking?
Reply 782
Original post by eve9
ahh! glad i’m not the only one who finds it a nightmare! i also dropped maths at the end of year 12 and i just feel like i’m forgetting everything i ever learnt lol. how are you preparing for the exam? and what a levels are you taking?

I do chem, bio, physics, maths and English lit a levels, and I’ve mostly been preparing doing qus from a textbook (I got it from Amazon) and then doing section 1 qus from previous papers (it’s rlly annoying that it’s changed tho bc there are hardly any practice qus especially for section 2!) What alevels do you do?
Reply 783
Original post by s8520
I do chem, bio, physics, maths and English lit a levels, and I’ve mostly been preparing doing qus from a textbook (I got it from Amazon) and then doing section 1 qus from previous papers (it’s rlly annoying that it’s changed tho bc there are hardly any practice qus especially for section 2!) What alevels do you do?

I’m doing biology, chemistry, religious studies and welshbacc (i did do maths, which i dropped). ooh, i haven’t got a textbook, i’m just doing past papers atm. the first time i practiced i did the whole past paper under timed conditions instead of getting used to the questions. i think that was a huge mistake bc it put on so much pressure that i was rushing, and towards the end i was just picking random answers bc i was running out of time. after going through it again without any time limit, i can’t believe how many questions i got wrong bc it’s not actually that hard🤣
Original post by numnum1111
I've heard that Cambridge tends to increase the standards they want from Private school students as they are seen to have had help (I haven't had ANY help for UCAT or BMAT in my school, but oh well :frown:) Considering this, what sort of BMAT score should I aim for to have a good chance at Cambridge. I'm applying to Trinity college if that changes things, although i don't think it does.

No, that would be unfair. There are, however, a lot of free schemes for state school students, to help level the playing field. Take for example, Zero Gravity.

https://www.zerogravity.co.uk/

My son is in 5th year Oxford medicine. He got an average of 6.2 and got an interview. You need to get this kind of score for Oxbridge, whatever type of school you go to.
Original post by anonymouss453
hello!

I am going to apply to Jesus college for music! I got A*AA in my alevels and 9888888777 in my GCSES.
I'll also apply to Manchester, Birmingham, Durham, and Kings

You may be interested in the Oxford Demystified music chapter, written by a very valuable and experienced TSR contributor:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6759750
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
At Cambridge at least they look at your application, and school etc. Imagine it like them thinking oh this candidate has quite a few B's, but considering they were from x school where people generally achieve low passes they did very well. Or this person has quite a few B's, considering they went to an elite private school this might be an indicator of insufficient ability, let's look at their BMAT/A-levels to confirm this.
There is no point obsessing over what you cannot control, just make the bits you can as good as possible.

That's right. Too many people obsess about statistics, when what Oxbridge is looking for is natural flair and a love of research/engaging with your subject.

That's across the board, whatever type of school you attend.
Original post by Deadbeatauditor
Sorry, probably a bit off topic but I remember being a very frequent poster (not under this username...) on the 2016 Applicants Thread, how time flies!

Just want to wish you all best of luck, feels like eons ago now

Thanks for dropping by to say hello. This was before even my time, when I was lurking and thinking, "those students will never be interested in what I have to say"
So they do contextualise admissions test scores too, ok, thank you. Seems like I'll be putting the extra effort into BMAT after all.

It's very important to have a good BMAT score, anyway, so prep for this would be sensible.
Is there a NatSci specific thread for Cambridge applicants?
Can we please add a dash of realism to this level the playing field stuff,the majority of state educated Oxbridge places are awarded to selective sixth forms and grammars,both of which provide more support than most private schools,they, unlike the majority of private schools select on Academic ability..,not all private schools are Eton..
Original post by oppiwall
Can we please add a dash of realism to this level the playing field stuff,the majority of state educated Oxbridge places are awarded to selective sixth forms and grammars,both of which provide more support than most private schools,they, unlike the majority of private schools select on Academic ability..,not all private schools are Eton..

There is the unfortunate perception that every private school is like Eton, Oundle, Rugby or Harrow while every state school is like a struggling state comp. this is false and i think causes issues for students who genuinely work hard to achieve their grades but then get slapped with the “privilege” tag. We could be moving to a time when an applicant would possibly be disadvantaged solely by the name of their school.

I would think that the Admissions Officers have the experience to understand the various contextual backgrounds of applicants.
Original post by Wired_1800
There is the unfortunate perception that every private school is like Eton, Oundle, Rugby or Harrow while every state school is like a struggling state comp. this is false and i think causes issues for students who genuinely work hard to achieve their grades but then get slapped with the “privilege” tag. We could be moving to a time when an applicant would possibly be disadvantaged solely by the name of their school.

I would think that the Admissions Officers have the experience to understand the various contextual backgrounds of applicants.

Thanks for this sensible comment, as ever @oppiwall
Original post by Sm.c11

Not yet, but you're welcome to make one :smile:
Reply 794
Original post by Sm.c11

I’m not aware of one. But there is a natsci specific thread for any uni, with many people on it who are applying to Cambridge

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=95324797&highlight=Natural%20sciences%20applicants%202022
It would be a very unfortunate perception if people thought every private school was like The Dump on The Hump:smile:
Original post by oppiwall

Certainly for Cambridge, it isn't true that "the majority of state educated ... places are awarded to selective sixth forms and grammars". For the 2020 entry (the most recent statistics available --- https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ug_admissions_statistics_2020_cycle.pdf), 2,466 places were offered to UK candidates educated in the maintained sector. Of these, 1,265 were at Comprehensive schools, 733 at Grammar schools, 351 at Sixth Form colleges (selective and open entry) and 117 at FE and Tertiary colleges.

In other words, the majority of state educated offer holders were from non-selective settings.
Reply 797
Original post by eve9
I’m doing biology, chemistry, religious studies and welshbacc (i did do maths, which i dropped). ooh, i haven’t got a textbook, i’m just doing past papers atm. the first time i practiced i did the whole past paper under timed conditions instead of getting used to the questions. i think that was a huge mistake bc it put on so much pressure that i was rushing, and towards the end i was just picking random answers bc i was running out of time. after going through it again without any time limit, i can’t believe how many questions i got wrong bc it’s not actually that hard🤣

Ikr I started off trying to do it in timed conditions and did awfully, but then I slowed down and realised the qus aren’t actually that difficult and i was just rushing loads😂
Original post by Oxford Mum
It's very important to have a good BMAT score, anyway, so prep for this would be sensible.

Yes, I can get a score of 6-7 without too much headache. However, I was wondering whether it would be worth putting in even more effort, which would take away from A levels etc, for a score of 8+.
Yes, I can get a score of 6-7 without too much headache. However, I was wondering whether it would be worth putting in even more effort, which would take away from A levels etc, for a score of 8+.

Studying to get the highest BMAT score you can shouldn't detract from your A-levels, should it? The higher score the better in terms of making you competitive at BMAT med schools.

Latest

Trending

Trending