The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

University of St Andrews - 2022 Applicants Thread

Are you applying to the University of St Andrews for 2022 entry? Here is the place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process. :smile:

Here are a few icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I guess I'll start haha

What course are you applying for: Math and Physics
What universities are you thinking of: in the UK mainly St. Andrews only haha,
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: nil because my school doesn't release them, I'll be applying with my actual final results since it'll be out before the deadline for international students.
GCSE grades: 8 subjects at the equivalent of As and A*s (I think) and 1 subject equivalent of C :colondollar:
Extra curriculars: math research project which was accepted for publication as conference proceedings (by Springer, so it's not predatory) and we won 2 prizes for the project, organised an international science event with prominent guests, was in infocomm so did some number theory and won some infocomm prizes, some math olympiad prizes, some space-related zooniverse stuff, some volunteering projects (teaching tech-related stuff)

My extracurriculars do look pretty but sadly my grades are quite wonky :frown:, fingers crossed:crossedf:!
(edited 2 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by syralie01928
I guess I'll start haha

What course are you applying for: Math and Physics
What universities are you thinking of: in the UK mainly St. Andrews only haha,
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: nil because my school doesn't release them, I'll be applying with my actual final results since it'll be out before the deadline for international students.
GCSE grades: 8 subjects at the equivalent of As and A*s (I think) and 1 subject equivalent of C :colondollar:
Extra curriculars: math research project which was accepted for publication as conference proceedings (by Springer, so it's not predatory) and we won 2 prizes for the project, organised an international science event with prominent guests, was in infocomm so did some number theory and won some infocomm prizes, some math olympiad prizes, some space-related zooniverse stuff, some volunteering projects (teaching tech-related stuff)

My extracurriculars do look pretty but sadly my grades are quite wonky :frown:, fingers crossed:crossedf:!

You'll be great, I'm sure, just make sure you structure your personal statement well
Original post by wingedangel
What course are you applying for: Economics L102
What universities are you thinking of: St Andrews, Durham, York, Oxford Brookes, Edinburgh
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: ABB (hoping to change it to AAA)
GCSE grades: 77777776666
Extra curriculars: Ballet, guitar and EPQ I guess, I'm not sure Summer School counts but did that too, I haven't really done much haha

You'll be great, I'm sure, just make sure you structure your personal statement well

Thanks! Yea I heard that St. Andrews places a lot of importance on the personal statement so will be spending a lot of time on that :s-smilie:
I'm sure you'll do great too! It's so cool you do both ballet and guitar though :smile:
hello!
Course I'm applying for: History
What universities are you thinking of: Oxford (:s-smilie:), St Andrews and Exeter are the only ones I'm sure of, I can't find many others I like
A Level predicted grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 99999999998
Extra Curriculars: Taught myself two of the GCSEs (Latin and Ancient History)- both related to my course. Robson History prize essay competition, Julia Wood essay competition and Mary Renault essay competition (commended).

I really really love the look of St. Andrews!!
Reply 5
What course are you applying for: Biochemistry
What universities are you thinking of: St Andrews, Exeter, Bath and Queen's (Belfast)
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A* A* A* A/A*
GCSE grades: 11A*s
Extra curriculars: academic - completed 4 MOOCs on Forensic Science, Forensic Facial reconstruction, Biochemistry and Bacterial Genomes, Distinction + Best in school certificates in the Senior and Elite Bebras computing challenges, top 10% in the Alan Turing Cryptography Competition in 2019/20, Virtual work experience and in person work experience within a working lab for 2 days, reading books around scientific topics that interest me, such as Nick Lane's book on the evolutionary and cellular importance of the mitochondria (worried the forum would censor/delete my post if I typed the name of the book!) and books by prolific forensic scientists. Non-academic - heavily involved with theatre (both straight acting and musical theatre) inside and out of school and have been in 11 productions outside and 5 inside school as well as completing workshops with NYT and I also have a qualification in stage combat from the APC.

I haven't been able to visit St Andrews as I live no where near it (still in UK though) but I have fallen in love with what I have seen online about it! Hopefully getting the chance to visit over October half-term!
Reply 6
Original post by 1582
Are you applying to the University of St Andrews for 2022 entry? Here is the place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process. :smile:

Here are a few icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Hi,

I am looking to apply for the Financial Economics course. I am applying from England and my current A level subjects are Maths, Economics and Spanish. I would like to continue to learn Spanish and after reading the FAQs it appears that I would have the opportunity to take it as an extra subject in the first as well as the second year. Is that correct? Should I want to take up a joint degree of Financial Economics with Spanish, by which year would I need to make this decision?

I would also like to enquire what the split between Financial Economics and Spanish would be in a joint degree with (not and) Spanish. I would want the emphasis of the course to be Financial Economics.

If I choose not to do a joint degree, does the university offer clubs that would help to further my Spanish skills and keep in touch with it?

Lastly, please could you let me know generally how long after an application is made will there be a response on whether an offer is made or not?

Thanks.
Original post by Unister
Hi,

I am looking to apply for the Financial Economics course. I am applying from England and my current A level subjects are Maths, Economics and Spanish. I would like to continue to learn Spanish and after reading the FAQs it appears that I would have the opportunity to take it as an extra subject in the first as well as the second year. Is that correct? Should I want to take up a joint degree of Financial Economics with Spanish, by which year would I need to make this decision?

I would also like to enquire what the split between Financial Economics and Spanish would be in a joint degree with (not and) Spanish. I would want the emphasis of the course to be Financial Economics.

If I choose not to do a joint degree, does the university offer clubs that would help to further my Spanish skills and keep in touch with it?

Lastly, please could you let me know generally how long after an application is made will there be a response on whether an offer is made or not?

Thanks.

Hi, pretty sure you can definitely take up Spanish in your first and second years (of four years total). You only need to choose which honours programme you'd like to enter at the end of your second year, assuming you meet the module requirements for that programme.

There is no option for a joint Financial Economics with Spanish, only Financial Economics and Mathematics/Management, though. You could consider the MA Economics with Spanish, then choose the Financial Economics modules for your remaining optional modules. In this option, for the third and fourth years 1/3 of your credits appear to be in Spanish (30 out of 120 each year).

Here are the links to the course outline for each so you could compare:
MA Financial Economics (same as the BSc): https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/reqs/2021-22/UAHFFECSFEC.html?1631135129171
MA Economics with Spanish: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/reqs/2021-22/UAHFECNWSPN.html?1631135129170

Here is also a link to what programmes and joint programmes are offered (in 2021-2022): https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/reqs/2021-22/list.html?v=dp

(You may wish to note that both the MA and BSc are both 4 year programmes and the only difference will be which faculty you belong to. For Economics/Financial Economics you have the option of either, though Spanish is in the Faculty of Arts. The professor at the open house said it is easier to take your other mods in your first and second year from the same faculty but I've heard students say it doesn't really matter unless you want to take IR.)

Another option is the evening language classes, though you'll have to pay an extra fee: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/non-degree-courses/evening-language-courses/

No idea about how long it'll take to receive a response, sorry!
Reply 8
Original post by syralie01928
Hi, pretty sure you can definitely take up Spanish in your first and second years (of four years total). You only need to choose which honours programme you'd like to enter at the end of your second year, assuming you meet the module requirements for that programme.

There is no option for a joint Financial Economics with Spanish, only Financial Economics and Mathematics/Management, though. You could consider the MA Economics with Spanish, then choose the Financial Economics modules for your remaining optional modules. In this option, for the third and fourth years 1/3 of your credits appear to be in Spanish (30 out of 120 each year).

Here are the links to the course outline for each so you could compare:
MA Financial Economics (same as the BSc): https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/reqs/2021-22/UAHFFECSFEC.html?1631135129171
MA Economics with Spanish: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/reqs/2021-22/UAHFECNWSPN.html?1631135129170

Here is also a link to what programmes and joint programmes are offered (in 2021-2022): https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/reqs/2021-22/list.html?v=dp

(You may wish to note that both the MA and BSc are both 4 year programmes and the only difference will be which faculty you belong to. For Economics/Financial Economics you have the option of either, though Spanish is in the Faculty of Arts. The professor at the open house said it is easier to take your other mods in your first and second year from the same faculty but I've heard students say it doesn't really matter unless you want to take IR.)

Another option is the evening language classes, though you'll have to pay an extra fee: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/non-degree-courses/evening-language-courses/

No idea about how long it'll take to receive a response, sorry!

Thank you for all the information and help.
What course are you applying for: Biology though I might decide to do a joint honours whilst I'm there
What universities are you thinking of: Oxford, Imperial, Leeds (NatSci), Manchester
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A* A* A* in Biology, Maths, Product Design
GCSE grades: 999999999
Extra curriculars: MOOC, 2 Books (L.Wolpert and Nick Lane), Summer School Biology challenge (silver), Biology Olympiad (completed with year above and was commended) and Research experience.
Reply 10
What course are you applying for: Modern Languages
What universities are you thinking of: Cambridge, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, Exeter
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 11A*, 2A
Extra curriculars: Very little. Welsh Bacc research project on a niche area of my course and some books

Would be doing 3 languages in first two years and then dropping one, I think.
Anyone else applying for ModLang?
What about achieves grades?
Not sure whether I should bother applying
Course applying to: Psychology
Predicted: A A B (should be A A A but I had a bad day which screwed my chances) in chemistry biology and psychology
At GCSE: 4 8's, 3 7's and a 6

Extra curriculars: Army cadets, first aid course (qualified), leadership and teamwork btec lvl 2, EPQ and DofE bronze

Should I even bother my application doesn't compare to many other applicant's and I feel it'd be wasting my choice although I really like the look of the uni
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mooonnjuice
Not sure whether I should bother applying
Course applying to: Psychology
Predicted: A A B (should be A A A but I had a bad day which screwed my chances) in chemistry biology and psychology
At GCSE: 4 8's, 3 7's and a 6

Extra curriculars: Army cadets, first aid course (qualified), leadership and teamwork btec lvl 2, EPQ and DofE bronze

Should I even bother my application doesn't compare to many other applicant's and I feel it'd be wasting my choice although I really like the look of the uni

You should definitely apply!! But first, let go of the defeatist attitude, there will always be someone that seems smarter and more organized, but you're a unique individual with a distinct perspective and set of skills. If you really want to apply to St Andrew's, go for it!
I'm also not sure if I should apply or not!

Course applying to: Financial Economics
Nat 5 Grades: AAAABB
Achieved S5 Grades: AAAAB
S6 - Don't have predicted grades yet but
Adv H Business
Adv H Economics

Extra Curricular: I have financial work experience, done many online courses and read 3 economics/finance based books + been a tutor of nat 5 maths
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm applying for astrophysics / physics with astrophysics
My main choices atm are St Andrews and Edinburgh
I got 5 A's at higher in maths, physics, biology, art and design, and english. I got 7 A's at nat 5.
I do a lot within the school and a lot of reading and volunteering outside school, but no relevant work experience or anything. I already have the min entry requirements I need and this year im taking adv higher maths, physics, biology and higher chemistry. Good luck everyone!!!
Original post by jessh1234
I'm applying for astrophysics / physics with astrophysics
My main choices atm are St Andrews and Edinburgh
I got 5 A's at higher in maths, physics, biology, art and design, and english. I got 7 A's at nat 5.
I do a lot within the school and a lot of reading and volunteering outside school, but no relevant work experience or anything. I already have the min entry requirements I need and this year im taking adv higher maths, physics, biology and higher chemistry. Good luck everyone!!!

Wow! That's a lot! Best of luck :smile: Have you started your personal statement? I'm really worried I won't get into Edinburgh with AAAAB :/ I need the minimum requirements as well.
What course are you applying for: Economics L102
What universities are you thinking of: St Andrews, Durham, York, Oxford Brookes, Edinburgh
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: ABB (hoping to change it to AAA)
GCSE grades: 77777776666
Extra curriculars: Ballet, guitar and EPQ I guess, I'm not sure Summer School counts but did that too, I haven't really done much haha

First other person who I've seen applying for economics! What would be your preference out of St A and Edinburgh be? I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh but not sure if my grades are good enough. I've just started my personal statement as well. Have you started yours yet?

Best of luck brother! One competitive course hahaha :smile:
Original post by NellyCormack04
Wow! That's a lot! Best of luck :smile: Have you started your personal statement? I'm really worried I won't get into Edinburgh with AAAAB :/ I need the minimum requirements as well.

I've started my personal statement, not really done enough physics-wise i think but its alright. best of luck for edinburgh!!
Original post by jessh1234
I've started my personal statement, not really done enough physics-wise i think but its alright. best of luck for edinburgh!!

Thanks! Are you doing adv highers?

Latest

Trending

Trending