The Student Room Group

Let's do things a Little Differently (A Yr13 GYG) (2021 -- 2022)

Let's do things a Little Differently (A Yr13 GYG)

AKA: Mamma Mia, Here We Go Again *eye roll*

Okay, here we go!

Last year, my GYG flopped very quickly, and since then, a lot has happened. My grades are not where I want them to be, my concentration and my motivation is not where I want them to be, and the fear of not making it is beginning to set in.

Some catch up information: I've got a laptop for extra time in RS because I was not finishing my essays in class, and I have a referral appointment for ADHD and tbh I am gonna mention dyslexia as well because when I was tested, my word construction was REALLY bad and I'm now noticing it all the time. (The amount of typos that weren't really typos and me actually spelling words wrong is just--)

Anyway, if you're looking for a pretty blog, you're not going to find one here. /lh This is more of a diary/academic thoughts journal where I upload my to do lists for homework and my play by play when I'm studying. I'm going to try and not abandon this by putting as little cosmetic in as possible and just getting my motivation under control. The less effort it takes to post, the more likely I am to post. (It's a shame, really; my old blog had the best vibes.)

Predicted grades band from Summer 2021:
Chemistry: C-D (C)
Biology: B-C (B)
RS: B-A (A)

Grades I want by Summer 2022:
Chemistry: B (maybe an A if I'm lucky)
Biology: A
RS: A

If my inconsistency is down to undiagnosed ADHD I'm going to have a private grieving session for all the grades I could have had /j

Year 12 was great in terms of settling in, but the exams and timed stuff feels impossible; like a race that I'm rigged to lose. I hope that can change between now and exams.

My five Uni choices:
Glasgow
Sheffield
York
Warwick
(Durham?)

[All for Zoology/ecology)

Anyway, let's get to it! (If you want to be tagged, lmk!)
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Okay, so today is the Thursday before school, and I have about 3 and a half essays to do before Monday and we don't have our timetables yet so I'm going to just have to guess that all my homework is due in on Monday. Here's the list for homework:

Essay 1:
A -- "Compare the Birth Narratives between Matthew and Luke"
B -- "The Birth narratives clearly indicate the identity of Jesus"

Essay 2:
A - "Write Essay: Examine N.T. Wright's interpretation of Jesus' resurrection"

Essay 3:
A -- "Examine different responses to the issue of male language about God"
B -- "If God has no gender, then God as female is not problematic."

Revise essay material for first week back: 06/09/2021:
CHRISTIAN FESTIVALS (A + B)
MARTIN LUTHER -- FAITH AND WORKS (A + B)

Other homework:
Work through 3E booklet + presentations on Scientific views on religion
Work through biology booklet -- stats optional
Prepare for september assessments

Ugh, why did I put this all off until now?
I can cross off part A of essay 1 and am about to write part B (both in timed conditions)

Then I'll call it a night because I'm a Year 7 prefect and I have an induction day tomorrow.
Original post by DownRangeLion
Okay, so today is the Thursday before school, and I have about 3 and a half essays to do before Monday and we don't have our timetables yet so I'm going to just have to guess that all my homework is due in on Monday. Here's the list for homework:

Essay 1:
A -- "Compare the Birth Narratives between Matthew and Luke"

Essay 2:

Essay 3:

Other homework:

Ugh, why did I put this all off until now?

Essay 1:
A -- "Compare the Birth Narratives between Matthew and Luke" :biggrin: (Here, have some fun emojis as ticks since I can't find a way to strike through)

Essay 2:

Essay 3:

Other homework:

----------------------
04/09/2021

I am going to start essay 1 B now and get it out the way because timed conditions really shorten how long it takes to write an essay! /j I've already planned it and have the introduction started, so I'll finish it, get some lunch, and come back to blitz through the others.
I have to get these essays done today so I can do the "other homework" tomorrow. #alltheregrets

I'll keep updating what I've done (I also got my new timetable yesterday, which was fun -- turns out that I have an empty friday this year, as well as three extra frees o.O We now have four lessons a week per subject and tbh I kind of like that.)

(Note to self; Call all frees 'revision periods' from now on because otherwise you won't revise.)

BRB
Update: I have finished essay 1 B and am now going to write essay 3 A + B -- I have had a break and some lunch and now have a fresh cup of coffee. I'm in my cosy jumper now so hopefully I can just rattle through this one.
Hey! Nice start :smile: Zoology and Ecology sound so cool - what made you choose them? Also, your blog convinced me to make my own :biggrin:
Original post by Immortal-Reaper
Hey! Nice start :smile: Zoology and Ecology sound so cool - what made you choose them? Also, your blog convinced me to make my own :biggrin:

Hi! Thanks so much!!! :biggrin: Ah, to be honest, it had been a decision I made since I was seven or something. I've never thought about doing something different and I suppose I don't really want to XD I toyed with Vet Med but it's just not the same. I'd love to be a Nat Geo explorer one day! I guess I discovered my passion early :biggrin:

Aww, that's so awesome!! I'm so glad!! (That makes me so happy omg)

Liberal arts also sounds super interesting, what is it about? :smile:
Hey @DownRangeLion! Can I have a tag, please?

Good luck with A-Levels. If you need any help with A-Level Chemistry, give me a shout.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hey @DownRangeLion! Can I have a tag, please?

Good luck with A-Levels. If you need any help with A-Level Chemistry, give me a shout.

Hey! Yes, of course! :smile:

Thank you so much for the offer! Expect to be called into this thread often!! :lol:
Hey! Yes, of course! :smile:

Thank you so much for the offer! Expect to be called into this thread often!! :lol:

No problem. I’m happy to help. 👍🏼
Hi! Thanks so much!!! :biggrin: Ah, to be honest, it had been a decision I made since I was seven or something. I've never thought about doing something different and I suppose I don't really want to XD I toyed with Vet Med but it's just not the same. I'd love to be a Nat Geo explorer one day! I guess I discovered my passion early :biggrin:

Aww, that's so awesome!! I'm so glad!! (That makes me so happy omg)

Liberal arts also sounds super interesting, what is it about? :smile:

I love Nat Geo! :smile: Liberal arts is essentially where you can study across the whole of humanities (and some social sciences). Some universities like Exeter have majors but other like Kent don't. BUT I'm super indecisive and am now considering an art and design foundation diploma because getting to design sets in theatre is something I would love to do (or exhibits in museums) :biggrin:
I love Nat Geo! :smile: Liberal arts is essentially where you can study across the whole of humanities (and some social sciences). Some universities like Exeter have majors but other like Kent don't. BUT I'm super indecisive and am now considering an art and design foundation diploma because getting to design sets in theatre is something I would love to do (or exhibits in museums) :biggrin:

Ah, wow! They both sound so cool!! I think you should do whichever one you love more, but they're both equally awesome! Ooh, that's super cool! The theatre sounds like such a fun place to be :biggrin:
A -- "Compare the Birth Narratives between Matthew and Luke" :biggrin:
B -- "The Birth narratives clearly indicate the identity of Jesus" :biggrin:

Essay 2:

Essay 3:

Other homework:
Work through 3E booklet + presentations on Scientific views on religion :biggrin:
Work through biology booklet -- stats optional :biggrin:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/09/2021: Hey, wow, look, new smileys. I'm pretty proud of how much I've done over the past couple of days!

So, it's the first day of school and I still need to finish summer homework due in for tomorrow (Essay 3)! I've written out plans for it, so hopefully I can get it out the way tonight. I have cadets tonight though, which takes out 2.5 hours of my evening. I could always whack them out first thing in the morning (it wouldn't be the first time /j).

Right, had some coffee to wake me up (I slept TERRIBLY last night), had some snacks, and now I'm ready to crack on. Updates to follow! /lh

Tags!

Spoiler

Well done on getting more done! What type of cadets do you do? I was in the Combined Cadet Force (army) at my school for three years :smile:
Well done on getting more done! What type of cadets do you do? I was in the Combined Cadet Force (army) at my school for three years :smile:

Aw, thank you! I'm in the Royal Air Force cadets at my local squadron! That's so cool! The RAF seem to have a running jokes about the CCF cadets for some reason :lol:
Update: It's been almost an hour? I've done about three paragraphs of the first question (send help /j) and now I'm going to have to stop and get ready for cadets! Hopefully I can pop back on and not need to wake up early tomorrow to finish it XD

Tags:

Spoiler

A -- "Compare the Birth Narratives between Matthew and Luke" :biggrin:
B -- "The Birth narratives clearly indicate the identity of Jesus" :biggrin:

Essay 2:

Essay 3:

Other homework:
Work through 3E booklet + presentations on Scientific views on religion :biggrin:
Work through biology booklet -- stats optional :biggrin:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/09/2021: Hey, wow, look, new smileys. I'm pretty proud of how much I've done over the past couple of days!

So, it's the first day of school and I still need to finish summer homework due in for tomorrow (Essay 3)! I've written out plans for it, so hopefully I can get it out the way tonight. I have cadets tonight though, which takes out 2.5 hours of my evening. I could always whack them out first thing in the morning (it wouldn't be the first time /j).

Right, had some coffee to wake me up (I slept TERRIBLY last night), had some snacks, and now I'm ready to crack on. Updates to follow! /lh

Tags!

Spoiler

Hello @DownRangeLion! :hi:

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad sleep last night. :sadnod: Hopefully, you have a much better sleep tonight. :console:

You should be very proud of how much you have accomplished over the days. That is a lot of work. :work:

Assessments? :eek: Already? :eek: Good luck! You will do brilliantly on them! :yep: What is your Chemistry test on?

Speak soon,
Shyleen :hugs:
Aw, thank you! I'm in the Royal Air Force cadets at my local squadron! That's so cool! The RAF seem to have a running jokes about the CCF cadets for some reason :lol:

Oh cool! Yeah, my brother calls it the 'half-arsed' cadets. I never wanted to do RAF because all the girls have to wear skirts and tights :biggrin:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hello @DownRangeLion! :hi:

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad sleep last night. :sadnod: Hopefully, you have a much better sleep tonight. :console:

You should be very proud of how much you have accomplished over the days. That is a lot of work. :work:

Assessments? :eek: Already? :eek: Good luck! You will do brilliantly on them! :yep: What is your Chemistry test on?

Speak soon,
Shyleen :hugs:

Hi, Shyleen!! :grin:

Aw, thank you! I plan to maybe shed a blanket tonight XD

Thank you so much! That means a whole lot! :^_^:

Yes! They're like final UCAS grade predictors :bawling: Wish me luck!! They're on these subjects:
Atomic Structure
Bonding and Structure
Amount of substance
Energetics
Organic Mechanisms including naming and drawing molecules

I just--- looking at it makes me want to cry. I think I need extra time aha :,)

Yes, speak soon!!
~ I've yet to give myself a nickname. I'm thinking maybe a character from the Lion King (you know, for the Lion part XD) :hugs:
Oh cool! Yeah, my brother calls it the 'half-arsed' cadets. I never wanted to do RAF because all the girls have to wear skirts and tights :biggrin:

AHAHA that's very funny!

I get that. The skirts and tights are bearable tho o.O

Quick Reply

Latest