The Student Room Group

Let's do things a Little Differently (A Yr13 GYG) (2021 -- 2022)

Scroll to see replies

Update: It's midnight and I am exhausted. The plan for tomorrow is to wake up at 7, blitz out the essay in approx 40 minutes, and then get ready and run out the door asap. I've got the plan ready, now I just need to execute (also why does the mark scheme directly contradict itself multiple times???) Goodnight, all!
Original post by DownRangeLion
Update: It's midnight and I am exhausted. The plan for tomorrow is to wake up at 7, blitz out the essay in approx 40 minutes, and then get ready and run out the door asap. I've got the plan ready, now I just need to execute (also why does the mark scheme directly contradict itself multiple times???) Goodnight, all!

Good morning and good luck with the essay! I’ve done a lot of essays at this sort of time in the past myself, it’s never the most fun :tongue: Hope you get everything done in time! (And that you get some more sleep in tonight!)
Original post by Interea
Good morning and good luck with the essay! I’ve done a lot of essays at this sort of time in the past myself, it’s never the most fun :tongue: Hope you get everything done in time! (And that you get some more sleep in tonight!)

Good morning! Thank you so much! No, literally, I've had the roughest time :bawling: Thank you so much! That's so kind of you :smile:
Essay 1:
A -- "Compare the Birth Narratives between Matthew and Luke" :biggrin:
B -- "The Birth narratives clearly indicate the identity of Jesus" :biggrin:

Essay 2:
A - "Write Essay: Examine N.T. Wright's interpretation of Jesus' resurrection"

Essay 3:
A -- "Examine different responses to the issue of male language about God" :biggrin:
B -- "If God has no gender, then God as female is not problematic." :biggrin:

Revise essay material for first week back: 06/09/2021:
CHRISTIAN FESTIVALS (A + B)
MARTIN LUTHER -- FAITH AND WORKS (A + B)

Other homework:
Work through 3E booklet + presentations on Scientific views on religion :biggrin:
Work through biology booklet -- stats optional :biggrin:
Prepare for september assessments

----------------
07/09/2021: Okay, we're almost there. I'm in my free-- revision -- period, and I managed to get those essays done (took a bit longer and was almost late, but Lady Luck hasn't left me yet! I'm going to try and finish Essay 2 and then focus on revision for the next week and a half I think.

I'm so tired T_T
Hi, Shyleen!! :grin:

Aw, thank you! I plan to maybe shed a blanket tonight XD

Thank you so much! That means a whole lot! :^_^:

Yes! They're like final UCAS grade predictors :bawling: Wish me luck!! They're on these subjects:
Atomic Structure
Bonding and Structure
Amount of substance
Energetics
Organic Mechanisms including naming and drawing molecules

I just--- looking at it makes me want to cry. I think I need extra time aha :,)

Yes, speak soon!!
~ I've yet to give myself a nickname. I'm thinking maybe a character from the Lion King (you know, for the Lion part XD) :hugs:

I'm sure you will ace your assessments! :hugs:Do as many exam questions and past papers as you can. :biggrin:

Here are two websites I used:
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/
https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/a-level-chemistry-revision/

As I mentioned earlier, let me know if you need any help. :yy:

Ooo, that sounds like a good idea for a nickname! :yep: I can't wait to see what you decide. :excited:
Original post by 5hyl33n
I'm sure you will ace your assessments! :hugs:Do as many exam questions and past papers as you can. :biggrin:

Here are two websites I used:
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/
https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/a-level-chemistry-revision/

As I mentioned earlier, let me know if you need any help. :yy:

Ooo, that sounds like a good idea for a nickname! :yep: I can't wait to see what you decide. :excited:

You're amazing, thank you!!

I actually just had a lesson on rates of reaction, but I only was there for half of it so I have no idea how it works ( like the k= [A]^1^2). I know the powers are related to the orders of reaction but the way you work it all out... I just haven't the foggiest. Does that make sense? ,: ) XD

Essay 2:
A - "Write Essay: Examine N.T. Wright's interpretation of Jesus' resurrection"

Essay 3:
A -- "Examine different responses to the issue of male language about God" :biggrin:

Other homework:
Work through 3E booklet + presentations on Scientific views on religion :biggrin:

-----------------------------------
07/09/2021 (afternoon):

I've done more in four days than I've done in six weeks /lh

Okay, so plan for tonight: I have tutoring, so I'm going to prepare for that, and then when it finishes I'm going to do Essay 2, which really shouldn't take long if I type fast aha.

I also have EPQ stuff I really should do. Let's see what we can do tonight.

Tags!

Spoiler

General Update: I went to learning support and they've put me forward for extra time so hopefully I'll be able to have a bit of leeway when it comes to time constraints. I was also given my timed essay questions for Martin Luther a week prior! I hope I ace it tbh aha
You're amazing, thank you!!

I actually just had a lesson on rates of reaction, but I only was there for half of it so I have no idea how it works ( like the k= [A]^1^2). I know the powers are related to the orders of reaction but the way you work it all out... I just haven't the foggiest. Does that make sense? ,: ) XD

I'll help you with this tomorrow. :smile:

General Update: I went to learning support and they've put me forward for extra time so hopefully I'll be able to have a bit of leeway when it comes to time constraints. I was also given my timed essay questions for Martin Luther a week prior! I hope I ace it tbh aha

That's excellent news! I'm sure you will ace your essay. Good luck! :hugs:
Original post by 5hyl33n
I'll help you with this tomorrow. :smile:

That's excellent news! I'm sure you will ace your essay. Good luck! :hugs:

Aw, thank you so much!! :biggrin:
Original post by 5hyl33n

Spoiler

PRSOM!!! Thank you so so much! This is so helpful! I have a question regarding exam questions; when you have to work out powers from a table, why (or how) do you figure the powers? e.g. in class we were told oh check the column/row in which one value changes and the other doesn't but I never really understood why/how? Maybe I don't need to know it aha, but it threw me off for the lesson :,)

Essay 2:
A - "Write Essay: Examine N.T. Wright's interpretation of Jesus' resurrection" :biggrin:

Essay 3:

Other homework:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08/09/2021: Look at all those smileys! Okay, so I have my chemistry exam after school tomorrow between 4 and 5 pm, BUT I get an extra 15 minutes because I can trial extra time!!! I'm SO relieved and they might also give me a reading pen! Where was this years ago? XD

Plan:
- REVISE FOR CHEMISTRY TOMORROW!

That's my priority at this point. Will update regularly : )

Tags:

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

Essay 2:
A - "Write Essay: Examine N.T. Wright's interpretation of Jesus' resurrection" :biggrin:

Essay 3:

Other homework:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08/09/2021: Look at all those smileys! Okay, so I have my chemistry exam after school tomorrow between 4 and 5 pm, BUT I get an extra 15 minutes because I can trial extra time!!! I'm SO relieved and they might also give me a reading pen! Where was this years ago? XD

Plan:
- REVISE FOR CHEMISTRY TOMORROW!

That's my priority at this point. Will update regularly : )

I remember the first time I got extra time in exams, it was so lovely to actually have time to think and time to read every question! Good luck on your exam :biggrin:
Original post by Interea
I remember the first time I got extra time in exams, it was so lovely to actually have time to think and time to read every question! Good luck on your exam :biggrin:

I can't wait to just not rush for once T__T Thank you so much!! :biggrin:
Good Luck with the test! We believe in you! :smile: (Well done on getting the homework done!)
X

Hi @DownRangeLion,

Here is how you do it. I'm using a past paper question to make it easier to explain. This should work for any exam question if you follow the same method. :yep:

Question:
Q.png

Step 1:
What reactants are involved in the experiment?

In this experiment, there are two reactants: A and B.

Step 2:
Write the reactants in the form of a rate expression. Do not forget to put the constant.

Rate = k [A]

Step 3:
Figure out the power of A

We need to compare two experiments where we can find a relationship between the initial concentration and the initial rate.

First, compare the initial concentration:

Experiment 1
The initial concentration of [A] -> 0.12

Experiment 2
The initial concentration of [A] -> 0.36

The initial concentration is increasing by x 3.

Next, compare the initial rates:

Experiment 1
The initial rate -> 2.10 x 10-4

Experiment 2
The initial rate -> 1.89 x 10-3

The initial rate is increasing by x 9.

To get from 3 to 9, in terms of powers, we need to do 32. Therefore, it is second order.

Step 4:
Figure out the power of B

Experiment 1
The initial concentration of -> 0.26

Experiment 2
The initial concentration of -> 0.26

There is no change in initial concentration.

Experiment 1
The initial rate -> 2.10 × 10−4

Experiment 2
The initial rate -> 1.89 × 10−3

The initial rate is increasing by x 9.

There is no relationship between the initial concentration and the initial rate.

Let's compare experiment 2 to experiment 3

Experiment 1
The initial concentration of -> 0.36

Experiment 2
The initial concentration of -> 0.72

The initial concentration is increasing by x 2.

Experiment 1
The initial rate -> 1.89 × 10−3

Experiment 2
The initial rate -> 3.78 × 10-3

The initial rate is increasing by x 2.

There is no increase between the initial concentration and the initial rate. Therefore, it is first order.

Step 5:
Re-write the rate expression with the powers

Rate = k [A]2 [ B]
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello @DownRangeLion! :hi:

How was your Chemistry test? :hugs:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hello @DownRangeLion! :hi:

How was your Chemistry test? :hugs:

Hello! I realised I haven't updated in a few days!

So, it's currently Saturday evening. I had the test on Thursday, and I honestly couldn't tell you how well it went! I'm hopeful, but I'm also very cautious since I usually end up doing worse than I expect in Chemistry T_T There was a TOF mass spectrometry question, which threw me off for a second, but I usually stumble my way through them and I hope I could get at least four marks from it.

I got some extra time! Which was really useful because if I didn't have it I wouldn't have finished the TOF question. I also felt like I could think for the first time? I couldn't tell whether that was the revision or the extra time though ahah!

I almost drew the elimination reaction wrong because I registered "propene" as "propane" and was drawing PROPANE like "wait, what? An arrow's meant to be here but I don't know why..." I am SO glad I reread it because it immediately made so much more sense and then I just scribbled it down (hopefully correctly) XD

I answered every question, which is a massive plus :biggrin: All in all, I can only hope :smile:

Thanks for asking! :biggrin:
Original post by 5hyl33n
x

Thank you so much! Absolutely life saving! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest