The Student Room Group

does oxford or cambridge require lower gcse and a levels for humanities??

just wondering

Scroll to see replies

compared to stem? yes, because it's generally significantly less competitive. compared to other universities? nope, still oxbridge. if anything, the gap is bigger.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
compared to stem? yes, because it's generally significantly less competitive. compared to other universities? nope, still oxbridge. if anything, the gap is bigger.

i ac meant oxford compared to cambridge lol
Reply 3
just wondering

Oxford's is normally AAA, Cambridge's is normally A*AA. Cambridge gives out more offers than Oxford (they expect more not to meet it).

But perhaps more importantly, they both expect you to be curious and skilled enough to be able to look it up...
Reply 4
Original post by 2500_2
Oxford's is normally AAA, Cambridge's is normally A*AA. Cambridge gives out more offers than Oxford (they expect more not to meet it).

But perhaps more importantly, they both expect you to be curious and skilled enough to be able to look it up...

nah thats effort tho
Reply 5
nah thats effort tho

I suspect Oxbridge is not for you...
Reply 6
Original post by 2500_2
I suspect Oxbridge is not for you...

bruh y tho? Im smart im just not a swot
Reply 7

Because they have really short terms with massive workloads where you are expected to read, research and write a lot each week without anyone telling you how to.

Smart isn't enough :smile:

Not that you seem it anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by 2500_2

rly?? but a*aa is not even very high and what do they do if they're oversubscribed - they're not like huge campus unis, they have finite rooms per college lol. I heard oxford care more abt gcses tho and that's why they can afford to give low a level offers - is that tru?
rly?? but a*aa is not even very high and what do they do if they're oversubscribed - they're not like huge campus unis, they have finite rooms per college lol. I heard oxford care more abt gcses tho and that's why they can afford to give low a level offers - is that tru?

They do have more of an emphasis on GCSEs but I am not sure on their stance as to if this allows them to lower A-Level offers

A*AA is actually quite high are you planning on getting A*A*A*A*A* to say a statement like that??

"Cambridge University has introduced an “over-subscription” clause to its offers, allowing it to withdraw places if too many students meet its entrance criteria."

Nothing can be said about Oxford however

I've seen many people who have been bright a school struggle under the pressure of the expected workload at Cambridge or fail to get in.

I've also seen people who have worked hard and done well at school struggle at Cambridge or fail to get in.

You really do need both.

this isn't really true lol. Courses like Chemistry and Biology aren't that strict about GCSEs at all whereas PPE is...
They did say generally rather than "always"

Original post by leviticus.
this isn't really true lol. Courses like Chemistry and Biology aren't that strict about GCSEs at all whereas PPE is...
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I've seen many people who have been bright a school struggle under the pressure of the expected workload at Cambridge or fail to get in.

I've also seen people who have worked hard and done well at school struggle at Cambridge or fail to get in.

You really do need both.

True, you will be doing a lot during the 8 week terms, more than anywhere else and will be doing a crap ton of essays a week (5000 words) which aren't even marked for your total grade but still necessary. If you're smart but not a sweat, go elsewhere.

A*AA isn't that high but most admitted students will have more than that predicted/achieved. Its a minimum criteria and students who do better are scored better in some cases.
Original post by AmIReallyHere
They do have more of an emphasis on GCSEs but I am not sure on their stance as to if this allows them to lower A-Level offers

A*AA is actually quite high are you planning on getting A*A*A*A*A* to say a statement like that??

"Cambridge University has introduced an “over-subscription” clause to its offers, allowing it to withdraw places if too many students meet its entrance criteria."

Nothing can be said about Oxford however

I mean i think the idea is oxford use gcses as a differentiator between candidates more than cambridge do, and cambridge prefers to use predicted grades and high offers to differentiate - although obvs both unis use both techniques to some extent.
I got 3A* 1 A and i was putting on the chav act for lol before
also that 'over subscription clause' has been majorly overhyped in the media recently and my college at cam literally emailed me saying it had happened fewer than 5 times last year - plus cam gave fewer offers than normal this year to account for grade inflation and avoid this problem
Original post by Saracen's Fez

You really do need both.

fairs i accept that
Original post by AmIReallyHere
They did say generally rather than "always"

OK. I still think they are generally wrong because Cambridge do not care much about GCSEs for any course at all and many of Oxford's STEM courses are much lighter on the GCSE focus: Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Materials Sciences etc. To be honest the only ones that are known for being particularly GCSE heavy are: Medicine, PPE, Economics & Management and Law. Of course there are more fringe cases in the humanities such as Oriental Studies and Classics which will care much less than any STEM course but I like to think these are outliers.
I mean i think the idea is oxford use gcses as a differentiator between candidates more than cambridge do, and cambridge prefers to use predicted grades and high offers to differentiate - although obvs both unis use both techniques to some extent.
I got 3A* 1 A and i was putting on the chav act for lol before
also that 'over subscription clause' has been majorly overhyped in the media recently and my college at cam literally emailed me saying it had happened fewer than 5 times last year - plus cam gave fewer offers than normal this year to account for grade inflation and avoid this problem

If those grades are A-level grades and achieved, you might find this interesting: via cambridge; https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/707794/response/1693277/attach/3/FOI%202020%20851%20Williams%20materials.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Reply 19

Generally, if you pass through the entrance exam and interview process and they know they want you, that's more important to them than your Alevels. That's particularly true of Oxford who give out almost the same number of offers as there are places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending