The Student Room Group

Entry requirements

Hi I’m new here (hello student type people) Can anyone tell me is it worth applying for an undergrad degree course if your goal grades meet the expectations, but your GCSE grades in another subject don’t meet the requirements? Or will the application just be immediately rejected? Lots of these course require maths at GCSE 7 and but my son got a 6, but his three A levels in the degree course related subjects are predicted AAB. Won’t these supersede the GCSEs? (They are economics based degree courses so maths ability is not obviously important, but he’s perfectly capable numerically). Thanks in advance x

Scroll to see replies

Hey there :smile: i believe if those are the entry requirements your son must meet them but i suggest that your son takes some time out and contacts the universities he is interested in and ask if they could make arrangements like putting a GCSE on hold while he retakes or etc. It doesn't matter if his predictions are AAB as the GCSE entry requirement is just as important. If this is maths degree maybe ask him to resit GCSE maths this November as that will open up many more options because if entry requirements are not met they will directly reject as it is a undergrad degree with predictions not achieved grades.
Original post by lunariumxo
Hey there :smile: i believe if those are the entry requirements your son must meet them but i suggest that your son takes some time out and contacts the universities he is interested in and ask if they could make arrangements like putting a GCSE on hold while he retakes or etc. It doesn't matter if his predictions are AAB as the GCSE entry requirement is just as important. If this is maths degree maybe ask him to resit GCSE maths this November as that will open up many more options because if entry requirements are not met they will directly reject as it is a undergrad degree with predictions not achieved grades.

That’s helpful; thanks for the reply. We are certainly finding limited options without either GCSE 7 OR maths A-Level.
Where a course has a specific Maths GCSE requirement and someone doesnt have it then it is normally a straight rejection.

For most leading university Economics courses grade A at A level is required and LSE and Cambridge require Further Maths as well.

Economics courses are largely very Mathematical in nature so really good Maths grade is critical.

Basically your son can resit his GCSE to obtain a higher grade.

He can look for another subject which isnt so Mathematical such as Politics.

He could apply to universities that dont have a Maths restriction. I have previously posted a few on another thread you could check. From memory Aberystwyth, Kent and Essex dont have this restriction and I believe East Anglia, Royal Holloway, Reading, Sussex, Swansea and Keele might not either but your son will need to check these.

Here is a list of universities that might help him

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 6
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Reading grade 6
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mumwithnoidea
Lots of these course require maths at GCSE 7 and but my son got a 6, but his three A levels in the degree course related subjects are predicted AAB. Won’t these supersede the GCSEs?

No, they won't, unless one is Maths (talk to admissions tutors if that's the case), which he really ought to be doing for economics degrees.

Book a resit.
(edited 2 years ago)
We’re on the same train of thought here - politics with economics does seem to have less requirements on the maths front. And you are absolutely right that the likes of Royal Holloway (probably his insurance choice) and some others such as Loughborough and Nottingham do not require maths. Thanks so much for the reply
Original post by RogerOxon
No, they won't, unless one is Maths (talk to admissions tutors if that's the case), which he really ought to be doing for economics degrees.

Book a resit.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
We’re on the same train of thought here - politics with economics does seem to have less requirements on the maths front. And you are absolutely right that the likes of Royal Holloway (probably his insurance choice) and some others such as Loughborough and Nottingham do not require maths. Thanks so much for the reply

Please see my amended reply. I have listed a number that dont require A level for Economics

If he looking at top universities he might be netter with straight Politics courses as it is vary rare for those to have a Maths requirement.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
Where a course has a specific Maths GCSE requirement and someone doesnt have it then it is normally a straight rejection.

For most leading university Economics courses grade A at A level is required and LSE and Cambridge require Further Maths as well.

Economics courses are largely very Mathematical in nature so really good Maths grade is critical.

Basically your son can resit his GCSE to obtain a higher grade.

He can look for another subject which isnt so Mathematical such as Politics.

He could apply to universities that dont have a Maths restriction. I have previously posted a few on another thread you could check. From memory Aberystwyth, Kent and Essex dont have this restriction and I believe East Anglia, Royal Holloway, Reading, Sussex, Swansea and Keele might not either but your son will need to check these.

Here is a list of universities that might help him

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 6
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Reading grade 6
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5

That’s fantastic thankyou! Yes reading abs Leicester are also on our radar - sadly he has expectation of LSE &UCL …I am trying to ‘manage those expectations’ without straight As or maths!! lol
That’s fantastic thankyou! Yes reading abs Leicester are also on our radar - sadly he has expectation of LSE &UCL …I am trying to ‘manage those expectations’ without straight As or maths!! lol

LSE He isnt going to get into they want further Maths as well and I think UCL might as well. It might be worth him looking at straight Politics in these as there isnt usually a Maths requirement for that so he might have a better chance. Economics at LSE is their flagship course and they wont accept anyone for that without Maths A level..
That’s helpful; thanks for the reply. We are certainly finding limited options without either GCSE 7 OR maths A-Level.

GCSE requirements are usually set in stone and are there for a reason ie the course requires that level of ability.
Original post by swanseajack1
LSE He isnt going to get into they want further Maths as well and I think UCL might as well. It might be worth him looking at straight Politics in these as there isnt usually a Maths requirement for that so he might have a better chance. Economics at LSE is their flagship course and they wont accept anyone for that without Maths A level..

Which is understandable so they have the puck of the students they accept. Thanks again for the response and help.
Hi I’m new here (hello student type people) Can anyone tell me is it worth applying for an undergrad degree course if your goal grades meet the expectations, but your GCSE grades in another subject don’t meet the requirements? Or will the application just be immediately rejected? Lots of these course require maths at GCSE 7 and but my son got a 6, but his three A levels in the degree course related subjects are predicted AAB. Won’t these supersede the GCSEs? (They are economics based degree courses so maths ability is not obviously important, but he’s perfectly capable numerically). Thanks in advance x

Hi I’m a mum too!! If you can go to an open day ask the tutors after the course talk - they will tell you if there is flexibility. If they are only offering virtual open day ask in the chat thread when they go through questions at the end. Worth looking at a site called discover uni. You can look at a course and see what ucas score people got who got accepted and this gives you an idea on how competitive the course really is. The top unis can be strict with these GCSE requirements but others are more flexible. Degree level economics is very maths heavy so they don’t want people who will struggle. I hope this helps.

Perhaps more research was needed before he started A level but a grade 6 in Maths was never going to be 'good' enough for taking FMaths.

Exeter offer an interesting flexible honours which might be worth a look: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/flexible/exeter/

It's great that he's aiming high - too many don't even try. A resit is going to be essential for that. Improving his maths will help at any university.

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear when their studies have moved on, but catching-up on maths during a degree course won't be fun either.

Hi @Mumwithnoidea

It is great that your son is considering studying Economics based degree at university.

Our entry requirements for our BSc Economics course require Grade C/4 or level 2 equivalent in GCSE Maths. We require 120 UCAS Points which is equivalent to BBB at A-level.

Six reasons to study Economics at Hull
96% employability rating*
Study at an AACSB accredited Business School
Economics at Hull is ranked 3rd in the UK for teaching (on my course) and academic support†
Opportunity to take a one-trimester internship in your final year
Option to study abroad or go on placement for a year
Access our Bloomberg Financial Markets Laboratory and vibrant Business Lounge

Further details can be found on our website - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/economics-bsc-hons?d=2022&var=standard

Hope this helps.

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi @Mumwithnoidea

It is great that your son is considering studying Economics based degree at university.

Our entry requirements for our BSc Economics course require Grade C/4 or level 2 equivalent in GCSE Maths. We require 120 UCAS Points which is equivalent to BBB at A-level.

Six reasons to study Economics at Hull
96% employability rating*
Study at an AACSB accredited Business School
Economics at Hull is ranked 3rd in the UK for teaching (on my course) and academic support†
Opportunity to take a one-trimester internship in your final year
Option to study abroad or go on placement for a year
Access our Bloomberg Financial Markets Laboratory and vibrant Business Lounge

Further details can be found on our website - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/economics-bsc-hons?d=2022&var=standard

Hope this helps.

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative

hey i wanted to ask do you know if there is a hull york medical school admissions office number i've been trying to reach out to ask a question but no response :frown:
Original post by Fruity Girl
Hi I’m a mum too!! If you can go to an open day ask the tutors after the course talk - they will tell you if there is flexibility. If they are only offering virtual open day ask in the chat thread when they go through questions at the end. Worth looking at a site called discover uni. You can look at a course and see what ucas score people got who got accepted and this gives you an idea on how competitive the course really is. The top unis can be strict with these GCSE requirements but others are more flexible. Degree level economics is very maths heavy so they don’t want people who will struggle. I hope this helps.

It really does help - thanks :smile: I will ask at the events :smile: he’s perfectly capable in maths (far better than me!) so I’m confident he’d be fine
Original post by lunariumxo
hey i wanted to ask do you know if there is a hull york medical school admissions office number i've been trying to reach out to ask a question but no response :frown:

Hi there! The admissions number varied by which degree you want to do- admissions for medicine can be reached on 01904 321690 or at [email protected] (numbers for other HYMS courses are available at: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/contact\). If you reach out to these numbers and do not get a reply please do let us know and we can try to help further.
Lizzy, Student ambassador
Read this - Applying for Economics - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/economics_degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending