The Student Room Group

A level chemistry - organic chemistry

Just started year 12 organic chemistry and I am so confused with all the homologous series and the functional group and writing down there displayed formula . My teacher just goes through the PowerPoint and speaks and speaks but doesn’t show any simplified examples . But am I supposed to be remembering the the structure of the functional group like what it looks like with the bonds and stuff and then use that to draw the displayed and skeletal formula ??
Focus on learning the displayed formula for each functional group, this is the easiest because you can easily draw a skeletal or structural based on the displayed. Also remembering placements because when you get to ketones vs aldehydes because they have the same functional group (-COO) but aldehydes have it on the end whereas ketones have it in the middle.

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-aqa/organic-i/ PMT is great for summarising notes so you should be able to find anything you textbook is missing or your teacher glossed over
Reply 2
Original post by Sb17890
Just started year 12 organic chemistry and I am so confused with all the homologous series and the functional group and writing down there displayed formula . My teacher just goes through the PowerPoint and speaks and speaks but doesn’t show any simplified examples . But am I supposed to be remembering the the structure of the functional group like what it looks like with the bonds and stuff and then use that to draw the displayed and skeletal formula ??

Yes you should know the main structures or functional groups like Ketones, aldehydes (this will be covered in Y13 so don’t worry) but you need to know the basics of ketones and aldehydes, carboxylate acids and Alkenes, allayed as well as the oxidation from alcohols to aldehydes and to carboxylic acids. You need to know isomers too and the empirical formula and mole are formulas.
You don’t need to memorise any structures but you should be able to draw and understand the organic names for example 1,2 dimethyl Propanone or butanoic acid.

Quick Reply

Latest