The Student Room Group

Is it me or has the price of everything gone mad?

I know inflation is there but damn

Local chippy went from charging £8 for cod n chips to £12

Like what

Scroll to see replies

need to make up for what's been happening
everyone was cheaper during the pandemic, now prices are increasing to make up for the lowered prices
A lot of places have been using the 'fake' excuse of importing their goods has become more expensive due to the pandemic which is true to some extent but honestly after research it does not affect Chip Shops at all and more so convenience stores.

The local Chips shops have been trying to benefit from this pandemic and therefore increased their prices my local chip shop used to charge £5.00 for a standard Chicken burger & chips but now its £7.00 :eek3:

But to be honest everything is more expensive now in general we just need to keep up with the world's demands atm :smile:
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
A lot of places have been using the 'fake' excuse of importing their goods has become more expensive due to the pandemic which is true to some extent but honestly after research it does not affect Chip Shops at all and more so convenience stores.

The local Chips shops have been trying to benefit from this pandemic and therefore increased their prices my local chip shop used to charge £5.00 for a standard Chicken burger & chips but now its £7.00 :eek3:

But to be honest everything is more expensive now in general we just need to keep up with the world's demands atm :smile:

My salary isn’t going up and the taxes aren’t changing to be aligned to inflation!

I don’t know how new grads are surviving.

Its the ‘small/local’ businesses doing it mostly
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Little pecker
My salary isn’t going up and the taxes aren’t changing to be aligned to inflation!

I don’t know how new grads are surviving.

I feel that :smile: but honestly I see the increase for prices at the local chip shop as a benefit! I am currently working towards a body like a Model before I enter University and also start my work experience etc :smile:
Yep... combination of supply chain freezes and labour shortages thanks to lockdowns and similar measures, plus accommodative monetary policy and various fiscal policies keeping purchasing power stable/high.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Little pecker
I know inflation is there but damn

Local chippy went from charging £8 for cod n chips to £12

Like what

I've noticed this too I work in retail, and there have been multiple products we sell that have had their prices go up.
One i can think of is that a bottle of 900ml lucozade went up from £1 to £1.25 in a week, and another that the 24x cans of fizzy drinks we sell have gone up 50p each.

Not as big of a change as your local chippy prices, but I definitely noticed the price of most things going up too
Wow RTX3000 has been out for over a year now.

Anyhow I just remembered that I had this realisation like 3 days ago. Went to the ice cream truck and was thinking of getting soft serve in a cup + 3 banana lollies for £5. Those banana lollies used to be a pound each last time I checked, but I was only able to get 2 banana lollies and I now owe the truck 50p because the soft serve is £2.50 and banana lollies are £1.50!!! Also noticed space raiders are 30p now instead of 25p.
Never supporting small business again
Logistics prices have gone bananas as brexit kicks in. Shipping containers, lorries, pallets, etc.
Just saw prawn cocktail crisps for 80p!!!
I bought a single measly biscuit from the school canteen for 60p today. Like wth
I'm still so angry at Gregg's for raising the price of MCS
One way of measuring inflation is with the increasing price of Freddo bars :lol:
Original post by rosy_posy
One way of measuring inflation is with the increasing price of Freddo bars :lol:

Primrose, this is no laughing matter!!! The price of Fred increased much faster than inflation
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by a_human_being?
Primrose, this is no laughing matter!!! The price of Fred increased much faster than inflation

The Reception kids just want their choccy :frown:
I 100% knew this thread was going to turn into GPU anger.
'appen cod & t'chips were two bob when i were a lad. if tha wanted a pickled egg that were a tanner
Even my local nail bar charges an extra £1 for a manicure because “covid” :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest