The Student Room Group

Can I got to uni for law with a level 3 diploma in criminology?

Hi! Sorry if I don't post in the write sub-forum, I am new to TSR. I was sold the Level 3 Diploma in criminology from WJEC and my college as an "A-level equivalent" only to find out when it was too late to swap courses that some universities don't accept the diploma or only accept the diploma for a criminology degree which I really don't wish to pursue so feeling a bit cheated on that one. I achieved it alongside two strong essay A-levels and finished the year with an AA and an A in the diploma (Diploma is graded A-E), wanting to plan to go to university next year. So my question is.. will I be able to get into a university for law and if so - which ones will accept a Level 3 Diploma as a substitute for an A-level? I've tried searching on quite a few websites of different universities but only Bristol seems to list the qualification on their page and will only accept it for Criminology. I would like to attend a university that is at least top 40 for law. Please advise, I feel a bit miserable about the whole thing really. ):

Scroll to see replies

It was really on you to research this beforehand - have you checked alternative qualifications lists on the pages (I know Cambridge has one of these)
Original post by Smoogler
Hi! Sorry if I don't post in the write sub-forum, I am new to TSR. I was sold the Level 3 Diploma in criminology from WJEC and my college as an "A-level equivalent" only to find out when it was too late to swap courses that some universities don't accept the diploma or only accept the diploma for a criminology degree which I really don't wish to pursue so feeling a bit cheated on that one. I achieved it alongside two strong essay A-levels and finished the year with an AA and an A in the diploma (Diploma is graded A-E), wanting to plan to go to university next year. So my question is.. will I be able to get into a university for law and if so - which ones will accept a Level 3 Diploma as a substitute for an A-level? I've tried searching on quite a few websites of different universities but only Bristol seems to list the qualification on their page and will only accept it for Criminology. I would like to attend a university that is at least top 40 for law. Please advise, I feel a bit miserable about the whole thing really. ):

I'm sorry this has happened to you - I post a lot on the Law forum and am aware that many unis are fussy about which BTECS they accept for Law degrees - Business and Science always seem to be accepted but others like your one unfortunately are often not, at least for the more competitive unis.

It's good that you also have 2 strong A levels as this will strengthen your application a lot. I don't think anyone on TSR will have a list of places that will accept the level 3 Diploma in Criminology so it may be a case of you contacting individual uni Admissions teams for advice on this. If the worst comes to the worst and none of the top unis will accept it, your other option would be to do a degree in Criminology followed by a conversion course to Law. This is a common route into Law and about 50% of people getting training contracts did not do a degree in Law but in another subject.
As you have realised, this WJEC Level 3 Diploma is not an A level - many schools are deliberately mis-selling it to 6th Formers as an A level, and it is not readily accepted by many top Unis for subjects like Law. Yes, you will find some that will accept it, but you will have to do some research/send some emails to be certain.

Please talk to your school/college about this - they are being deceptive in describing it as 'equivalent to an A level'. Yes, it is 'equivalent' in terms of UCAS points but it does not have the academic content / clout of an A level - and top Unis / those wanting specific grades know that and that is why they exclude it.

I dont know whether this is acceptable. Only the ndividual universities can confirm this. Do you take Welsh Bacc as many universities including Bristol accept this in place of an A level. Again this isnt acceptable everywhere but Bristol, Exeter, Liverpool and Manchester do accept it along with others and all the Welsh universities.
Reply 5
Original post by AmIReallyHere
It was really on you to research this beforehand - have you checked alternative qualifications lists on the pages (I know Cambridge has one of these)

I asked the tutor of the course when I originally took it and he said it wouldn't pose any problems. I probably should've googled it too but I didn't really know anything about A-levels and I'm not from a family that is academically focused so I trusted. My bad. I've searched a couple universities alternative qualifications list and the keyword through Google but the only place I found anything about it was from Bristol.

Original post by harrysbar
I'm sorry this has happened to you - I post a lot on the Law forum and am aware that many unis are fussy about which BTECS they accept for Law degrees - Business and Science always seem to be accepted but others like your one unfortunately are often not, at least for the more competitive unis.

It's good that you also have 2 strong A levels as this will strengthen your application a lot. I don't think anyone on TSR will have a list of places that will accept the level 3 Diploma in Criminology so it may be a case of you contacting individual uni Admissions teams for advice on this. If the worst comes to the worst and none of the top unis will accept it, your other option would be to do a degree in Criminology followed by a conversion course to Law. This is a common route into Law and about 50% of people getting training contracts did not do a degree in Law but in another subject.

Thanks for the advice, I will contact admissions teams for universities that seem lenient. In your experience and browsing of this forum, have you come across any cases of people who have gone on to study law with this particular qualification or is a conversion probably the most likely option?
Law is a useful first degree even if you decide not to 'do Law'.
Do your research, go to Open Days, listen to the subject presentations and ask questions.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
I dont know whether this is acceptable. Only the ndividual universities can confirm this. Do you take Welsh Bacc as many universities including Bristol accept this in place of an A level. Again this isnt acceptable everywhere but Bristol, Exeter, Liverpool and Manchester do accept it along with others and all the Welsh universities.

Thanks for your reply, I do not take Welsh Bacc. The diploma seems to be it's own standalone qualification and I took it alongside two A-levels.
Thanks for the advice, I will contact admissions teams for universities that seem lenient. In your experience and browsing of this forum, have you come across any cases of people who have gone on to study law with this particular qualification or is a conversion probably the most likely option?

I wouldn't like to guess whether a conversion is the most likely option or whether you will find some good unis that will accept this qualification.

Honestly, Admissions teams at unis are a friendly bunch - it is literally their job to answer students questions about stuff like this. They will be happy to give you advice and it will be accurate for their institution. It's not the sort of question you will find answered on many websites as it is so specific - I would write an email and then fire it off to about 10 unis to get some answers. Though they are very busy this week with Clearing etc so maybe leave it a week or so as you are not in any immediate rush. I'm sure you will find some unis will accept it, it's more a question of whether you can find a uni asking for about AAA that will accept it.
Thanks for your reply, I do not take Welsh Bacc. The diploma seems to be it's own standalone qualification and I took it alongside two A-levels.

I suspect this isnt a BTEC but a new qualification introduced by the WG which hasnt got through to the English universities. I think it might be worth you contacting the WG advising them the problems that you have had, You might be best looking at Welsh universities. If you are looking with actual results for admission this year try Cardiff, Swansea, Aber or Bangor or take a gap year and take a new A level or BTEC crammed into a year. Most students in Wales have tended to be forced into taking the Welsh Bacc. Be aware Oxford, Cambridge, a couple of London universities, Warwick snd Durham werent acceptiing Welsh Bacc but most others do.
I suspect this isnt a BTEC but a new qualification introduced by the WG which hasnt got through to the English universities.

The WJEC Diploma in Crim is well known to most Universities - no, it isnt a BTEC, its a weird qualification thought up by the Welsh Exam Board.
Its mostly nonsense True Crime stuff and has limited theory content, and its mostly coursework. If you google 'A Level Criminology' you will see too many schools mis-selling it as an A level - there is NO A level in Crim.

Oh dear. This isn't an adequate academic preparation for a law degree, I'm afraid - certainly not for any university worth studying law at.

hi do you mind telling me what other a levels youve applied to im doing law socilogy and picked wjec crim too i too want to apply for law in top unis but dk if unis will accept crim so icame to a solution i will do law with criminology in these rusell group unis : uni of brum uni of manch uni of liverpool uni of york uni of cardiff all of these unis offer law with criminolgy so hopefully they accept it . and maybe think about studying criminology in bristol for 3 yrs then doing a gdl which is a 1 yr law transfering course so youd be taught your law degree in a year hope this helps :smile:
isnt it graded like an al level ? u get a-e so it shloould be fine
Original post by hijarbie2019
isnt it graded like an al level ? u get a-e so it shloould be fine

That does not mean that is has the same academic worth as an A level.
The WJEC Diploma in Crim is pretty much a waste of time if you want to do Law.
Pick any literate A level (History, English, Politics etc) over this instead.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by McGinger
That does not mean that is has the same academic worth as an A level.
The WJEC Diploma in Crim is pretty much a waste of time if you want to do Law.
Pick any literate A level (History, English, Politics etc) over this instead.

if shes in year 12 then she can resit the year and take a different subject if shes yr11 she has more than enough time to change subjects on induction day
Original post by hijarbie2019
if shes in year 12 then she can resit the year and take a different subject if shes yr11 she has more than enough time to change subjects on induction day

There is an option to fast track an A level, take the Welsh Bacc in a year or re take the year with another subject. Note Welsh Bacc isnt accepted everywhere but many do including Bristol and Exeter.
Reply 17
Original post by McGinger
As you have realised, this WJEC Level 3 Diploma is not an A level - many schools are deliberately mis-selling it to 6th Formers as an A level, and it is not readily accepted by many top Unis for subjects like Law. Yes, you will find some that will accept it, but you will have to do some research/send some emails to be certain.

Please talk to your school/college about this - they are being deceptive in describing it as 'equivalent to an A level'. Yes, it is 'equivalent' in terms of UCAS points but it does not have the academic content / clout of an A level - and top Unis / those wanting specific grades know that and that is why they exclude it.

I don't think your attitude here is helping. I teach the course. We don't "mis-sell" it at all. We are told by WJEC that it is equivalent to an A-Level because it is, in terms of points. I have had students go to RG Universities with it. A previous student of mine is currently at Cambridge University and they took the L3 criminology diploma alongside two strong essay A-Levels. It is becoming a lot more accepted. The two I currently know that don't accept it are Bristol (unless you're doing a criminology degree) and Birmingham. But please don't act as though no Universities at all will touch a student who completes the course, because this is categorically not the case. In terms of it not having the academic content, this is also untrue. It looks in depth at the same criminological theories that a student studies in their A2 psychology and when you progress to Year 13 it's essentially applied Law, i.e. following a crime from when it is discovered all the way through to when a suspect can appeal. Students need an indepth knowledge of the laws and rights of suspects, witnesses and victims and the final unit looks at the judicial system and whether or not it is effective.

I have also seen that you have told people that it is 'mostly coursework' which is also not true. There is absolutely no coursework there is one controlled assessment, which has to be completed in exam conditions within 8 hours and they only get one opportunity. Please do your research before giving people bad advice.
Original post by Xips
I don't think your attitude here is helping. I teach the course. We don't "mis-sell" it at all. We are told by WJEC that it is equivalent to an A-Level because it is, in terms of points. I have had students go to RG Universities with it. A previous student of mine is currently at Cambridge University and they took the L3 criminology diploma alongside two strong essay A-Levels. It is becoming a lot more accepted. The two I currently know that don't accept it are Bristol (unless you're doing a criminology degree) and Birmingham. But please don't act as though no Universities at all will touch a student who completes the course, because this is categorically not the case. In terms of it not having the academic content, this is also untrue. It looks in depth at the same criminological theories that a student studies in their A2 psychology and when you progress to Year 13 it's essentially applied Law, i.e. following a crime from when it is discovered all the way through to when a suspect can appeal. Students need an indepth knowledge of the laws and rights of suspects, witnesses and victims and the final unit looks at the judicial system and whether or not it is effective.

I have also seen that you have told people that it is 'mostly coursework' which is also not true. There is absolutely no coursework there is one controlled assessment, which has to be completed in exam conditions within 8 hours and they only get one opportunity. Please do your research before giving people bad advice.

The problem is your student applied for Bristol. Why didnt you advise her/him they dont accept it if you knew Bristol dont accept it.
Reply 19
The problem is your student applied for Bristol. Why didnt you advise her/him they dont accept it if you knew Bristol dont accept it.

Because I am not their personal tutor and do not oversee their applications. I make them aware at the beginning of the course which unis I am aware of that do not accept them.

Edited to add - I misread your question: None of my students have applied to Bristol (that I know of) I just know that Bristol and Birmingham wont accept them
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending