The Student Room Group

computer science at russell group without further maths

I'm doing maths,physics and biology and want to go to a russell group uni. Would I be able to go without further maths? My school does not offer it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by verysmallman
I'm doing maths,physics and biology and want to go to a russell group uni. Would I be able to go without further maths? My school does not offer it.

yeah! if you email the admissions department where they require FM, explain that you can't take it. they may want you to do AS. however, there are many russell groups that do not require FM. I'm going to Sheffield in September for CS and further maths is not required. very few unis require further maths for cs anyway

Why a Russell Group university?
How high are you aiming?

Your school not offering it is a valid reason, IMO. It doesn't stop you from doing some self-study though, even if you don't register for the exam.
Original post by RogerOxon
Why a Russell Group university?
How high are you aiming?

Your school not offering it is a valid reason, IMO. It doesn't stop you from doing some self-study though, even if you don't register for the exam.

I'd like to go to Manchester university. Though, I did look at oxford's requirements and it said that 97% of the people who entered did further maths.
Does Manchester put a lot of emphasis on further maths?
You will be fine. If you get at least an A in maths you will have a very good selection of good universities.
Reply 5
I'd like to go to Manchester university. Though, I did look at oxford's requirements and it said that 97% of the people who entered did further maths.

manchester website for comp sci bsc: Typical A-level offer

A*A*A including A* in Mathematics, and a minimum of one Science subject in the remaining A-Levels.

no fm required!
You can also take a look at UCL! It does not require FM.

Are you in the UK?

Oxford don't require FM, but almost all successful applicants will have it. If you meet the entry requirements, you can apply.

An issue for any University is how are you demonstrating your interest in software / CS?
Original post by Muttley79
Are you in the UK?

yes
yes

Then your school can offer FMaths ... through AMSP.

https://amsp.org.uk/
You can get into a Russel Group without FM for sure

I'm doing CS at UCL and there's plenty here who didn't do FM
Then your school can offer FMaths ... through AMSP.

https://amsp.org.uk/

How does that work? Do I talk to my school about this?

My friend got an offer from Manchester university this year. He didn't have further maths as our school didn't offer it. He had to get an A* in maths A-level though, which he sadly didn't get.
How does that work? Do I talk to my school about this?

Yes do - you get access to tuition. Your school should know about it as this provision has been around for nearly 20 years :smile:
Original post by Pegasus25
My friend got an offer from Manchester university this year. He didn't have further maths as our school didn't offer it. He had to get an A* in maths A-level though, which he sadly didn't get.

All schools in the UK can offer FMaths ...

You'll most likely get an offer from Manchester. I had AAA predicted last year and no further maths, got an offer from Manchester, Loughborough, Nottingham and Bristol.
All schools in the UK can offer FMaths ...

They can, but some don't. Sometimes there aren't enough teachers, or the class is too small. Even universities know this, and make exceptions.
Original post by Angelj16
They can, but some don't. Sometimes there aren't enough teachers, or the class is too small. Even universities know this, and make exceptions.

They shouldn't because AMSP allows ALL schools to offer it however few want to take and without staff to teach it. I would hope this lie would be stamped out by now!
Reply 19
Original post by natily
manchester website for comp sci bsc: Typical A-level offer

A*A*A including A* in Mathematics, and a minimum of one Science subject in the remaining A-Levels.

no fm required!

say universities like imperial, UCL, kings and warrick for CS degrees. Though my school does offer FM, would u think it’s harder for me to get in if i don’t choose FM?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending