The Student Room Group

A levels and Computer Science

Hello, I have just started year 12 and I'm doing these 4 subjects: Maths, Physics, Computing, Government and Politics. I am aiming to do Computer Science at a top university, specifically Imperial. Unfortunately, my sixth form doesn't do A Level Further Maths. Assuming I meet the grade requirements, will I still be accepted with the subjects I have selected?
Original post by RaffaeleO
Hello, I have just started year 12 and I'm doing these 4 subjects: Maths, Physics, Computing, Government and Politics. I am aiming to do Computer Science at a top university, specifically Imperial. Unfortunately, my sixth form doesn't do A Level Further Maths. Assuming I meet the grade requirements, will I still be accepted with the subjects I have selected?

Just self study FM, there are many free resources available now. Don’t bother with gov and pol, unless you’re actually very interested in the subject.
Reply 2
I understand, but is there really any point in self studying FM if there’s no way I can prove I have the qualification?
Reply 3
I understand, but is there really any point in self studying FM if there’s no way I can prove I have the qualification?

You don't need fm, you only need maths and some universities require maths and one science subject

Your school still allows you to sit FM exams right? The school can set papers on FM specifically for you and give you a predicted grade.
Reply 5

Well, you could enter yourself in for the exam. But if your school doesn't offer further maths, and it's mentioned in your reference that they don't offer it, it shouldn't be much to worry about. However STEP will be harder.

Without FM it is unlikely Imperial willl accept you but you never know.
Have you discussed taking Further Maths with your school through this body

https://amsp.org.uk/
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous(
Your school still allows you to sit FM exams right? The school can set papers on FM specifically for you and give you a predicted grade.

I should probably ask if that is possible, I think the main reason it isn't taught is because they haven't got enough people to actually make a class
I should probably ask if that is possible, I think the main reason it isn't taught is because they haven't got enough people to actually make a class

Yeah that’s the exact reason my school doesn’t offer it. Do check with them.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous(
Yeah that’s the exact reason my school doesn’t offer it. Do check with them.

Has this worked for you? Are you still doing your A Levels?

I’m in year 12, doing international A levels. (CIE)
Reply 11

Do you want to do further maths, or do you think you need it for universities? Because you really don't need to do fm, especially in imperial
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by GTT21
Do you want to do further maths, or do you think you need it for universities? Because you really don't need to do fm, especially in imperial

As long as it gives me higher chances to do my desired courses, I'll pick it. Plus it'll also allow me to pick maths related courses at uni where fm is compulsory
Reply 13
As long as it gives me higher chances to do my desired courses, I'll pick it. Plus it'll also allow me to pick maths related courses at uni where fm is compulsory

Okay then, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending