The Student Room Group

Politics A Level

Evaluate the extent to which the arguments that the UK constitution should remain codified are convincing. [30] - can someone help me with the examples i can use in this

Scroll to see replies

Ooh! Sounds interesting!
1. Talk about how a codified constitution helps human rights be better protected --> Bill of Rights in the USA

2. The UK does function well enough w/o a codified constitution --> Parliamentary Sovereignty means parliament can make or unmake any law on any subject, and that it cannot be bound by past parliaments, nor can it bind future parliaments. Give an example of a law that has now been repealed, such as Section 28 of the 1988 Local Government Act (This banned the promotion of homosexuality in schools).

3. Constitutions can put a limit on the government power. There is a tendency for governments to push their political power to the boundaries, to the limits. Codification can possibly stop this. The US Constitution states that there has to be a separation of Govt Branches - Supreme Court Judges (Judiciary Branch) cannot be a part of the Senate (Legislative), whereas in the UK, before the Supreme Court was separated from the Lords in the 2000s, the Law Lords were the highest judges in the UK, and they also took part in legislation debates

4. There is no demand for a large constitutional change in the UNited Kingdom. Such a project would take years to implement. THe UK has not undergone revolutionary change, unlike its neighbours who have had revolutionary moments e.g. US Independence, the French Revolution etc.
Reply 3
Original post by shivam_47395
1. Talk about how a codified constitution helps human rights be better protected --> Bill of Rights in the USA

2. The UK does function well enough w/o a codified constitution --> Parliamentary Sovereignty means parliament can make or unmake any law on any subject, and that it cannot be bound by past parliaments, nor can it bind future parliaments. Give an example of a law that has now been repealed, such as Section 28 of the 1988 Local Government Act (This banned the promotion of homosexuality in schools).

3. Constitutions can put a limit on the government power. There is a tendency for governments to push their political power to the boundaries, to the limits. Codification can possibly stop this. The US Constitution states that there has to be a separation of Govt Branches - Supreme Court Judges (Judiciary Branch) cannot be a part of the Senate (Legislative), whereas in the UK, before the Supreme Court was separated from the Lords in the 2000s, the Law Lords were the highest judges in the UK, and they also took part in legislation debates

4. There is no demand for a large constitutional change in the UNited Kingdom. Such a project would take years to implement. THe UK has not undergone revolutionary change, unlike its neighbours who have had revolutionary moments e.g. US Independence, the French Revolution etc.

Thanksssss, did rlly gd in my essay so thank u. Could u provide parliament questions? thank uuu.
Original post by NI52
Thanksssss, did rlly gd in my essay so thank u. Could u provide parliament questions? thank uuu.

That's great! Well done what did you get
Reply 5

I just got told I did really well. :smile: Ill be getting my marks next week, Ill be sure to tell u my score.
For - Key features would be entrenched and would improve the stability of the state. This was one paragraph I used.

A01:
As of now, the Human Rights Act can be repealed at any time by Parliament, so individual rights are not embedded as in other countries
AO3: Boris Jonsons government introduced three pieces of legislation that will threaten human rights
Policing bill - proposes changes t enforcement and sentencing
Covert human intelligence sources bill - protects undercover estate agents from prosecution for crimes
Plans to weaken judicial review - process to challenge ministerial decisions, including on the environment
Fundamental right that is in jeopardy is access to justice and the changed to judicial review are a threat to that basic right

Human Rights Act - 1988 - statute law - entrenches citizens liberties
Against - Protection of rights has generally been good compared to many countries

More clearly defined, easy to enforce
Lead to elective dictatorship which would restrict rights
AO1:
Through:
Bill of rights - 1689 - protects a number of key personal freedoms + rights
Freedom of Information act - 2000 - provides access to information held by public authorities

Gay marriage act - 2013
Abortion rights in the uk - 1968
Texas bans abortion at 6 weeks - 2019
Reply 6

I got your questions combined with my teachers, and reduced it based on similar questions. So, in the end I only did three essay plans. Codification came up, so that was amazing
Reply 7
That's great! Well done what did you gEvaluate the extent to which Parliament is an effective check on executive power. [30]
Evaluate the extent to which the coalition government (2010-15) altered the relationship between Parliament and the executive. [30]
How effective is Parliament in holding the executive to account? [30]

et

Evaluate the extent to which Parliament is an effective check on executive power. [30]
Evaluate the extent to which the coalition government (2010-15) altered the relationship between Parliament and the executive. [30]
How effective is Parliament in holding the executive to account? [30]

These sound the same, don't they?
Original post by NI52
I just got told I did really well. :smile: Ill be getting my marks next week, Ill be sure to tell u my score.
For - Key features would be entrenched and would improve the stability of the state. This was one paragraph I used.

A01:
As of now, the Human Rights Act can be repealed at any time by Parliament, so individual rights are not embedded as in other countries
AO3: Boris Jonsons government introduced three pieces of legislation that will threaten human rights
Policing bill - proposes changes t enforcement and sentencing
Covert human intelligence sources bill - protects undercover estate agents from prosecution for crimes
Plans to weaken judicial review - process to challenge ministerial decisions, including on the environment
Fundamental right that is in jeopardy is access to justice and the changed to judicial review are a threat to that basic right

Against - Protection of rights has generally been good compared to many countries

More clearly defined, easy to enforce
Lead to elective dictatorship which would restrict rights
AO1:
Through:
Bill of rights - 1689 - protects a number of key personal freedoms + rights
Freedom of Information act - 2000 - provides access to information held by public authorities

Gay marriage act - 2013
Abortion rights in the uk - 1968
Texas bans abortion at 6 weeks - 2019

Hi just noticed you made a small mistake here

The Human Rights Act was in 1998, not 1988. Blair passed the Act.
Reply 9
Hi just noticed you made a small mistake here

The Human Rights Act was in 1998, not 1988. Blair passed the Act.

Yeah, I noticed that too and I changed it. Thanks.
Hey @NI52

What mark did you get in the end?
Reply 11
Hey @NI52

16/30
Reply 12
its rlly difficult to get above that for me

Hey @NI52

now i have 12-markers that I'm practicing. It will be my first time doing it for US AND UK constitution
Original post by NI52
its rlly difficult to get above that for me

now i have 12-markers that I'm practicing. It will be my first time doing it for US AND UK constitution

Fraid I can't help ya there. I know next-to-nothing about US Politics bc I didn't study that
Original post by NI52
16/30

Well done! What were the teacher's comments like?

I'm trying to remember what grade that would be. I think that would be roughly a C. That is an excellent start.

I remember when I started politics I did way worse than you. My first mark I ended up getting 13/30 or something like that and I got a D. At the time I really hated politics because I found it boring but then something inside me just clicked and from then on I was working my ass off to get better in the grade. Politics for me ended up becoming my favourite subject.
Original post by NI52
16/30

Also, before I forget, always ask the teacher for a breakdown of where you got the mark. Then, identify which AO you scored the lowest on. For me, at first, it was the AO2 marks that I slipped upon, but then I improved on that. But later on in the course, I found that my AO3 marks were what stopped me from getting REALLY high marks in these essays.

The annoying thing is, AO3 is one of these things that you can't practice in the same way (at least for me anyway) that you can for AO1 and AO2. AO1 is just about the knowledge, and AO2 is about how you use that knowledge. AO3 is about the judgment and weighing up the pros/cons of the argument. Even though I did that, I'm still not sure how I got 5-6 out of 10 AO3 marks, when I got 9/10 out of 10 for the AO1 and 8/9 out of 10 marks for the AO2 marks in the latter parts of the course.
Reply 16

I'm trying to remember what grade that would be. I think that would be roughly a C. That is an excellent start.

I remember when I started politics I did way worse than you. My first mark I ended up getting 13/30 or something like that and I got a D. At the time I really hated politics because I found it boring but then something inside me just clicked and from then on I was working my ass off to get better in the grade. Politics for me ended up becoming my favourite subject.

16/30 is a B or C. Yep depending
Reply 17

Rn, it kinda is my fav subject coz its interesting when u get the hang of it.
Reply 18
Also, before I forget, always ask the teacher for a breakdown of where you got the mark. Then, identify which AO you scored the lowest on. For me, at first, it was the AO2 marks that I slipped upon, but then I improved on that. But later on in the course, I found that my AO3 marks were what stopped me from getting REALLY high marks in these essays.

The annoying thing is, AO3 is one of these things that you can't practice in the same way (at least for me anyway) that you can for AO1 and AO2. AO1 is just about the knowledge, and AO2 is about how you use that knowledge. AO3 is about the judgment and weighing up the pros/cons of the argument. Even though I did that, I'm still not sure how I got 5-6 out of 10 AO3 marks, when I got 9/10 out of 10 for the AO1 and 8/9 out of 10 marks for the AO2 marks in the latter parts of the course.

Thats interesting, Ill take that into consideration. Thank youuu
Reply 19

ALL I WANT IS A B. I would be so happy with that grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending