The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dont do it. dont join an especially conservative religion just for a sense of community. you need self love and habit checks, religion gives you a spiritual identity crisis. but whatever man do what you want.
That sounds like a terrible idea. It's quite common I believe for converts to initially be treated like princes with lots of mashallahs and hugs, but once the initial novelty of the conversion wears off many feel isolated and forgotten. Some studies have shown 75% of converts leave Islam within 3 years. There's no point in converting if you don't believe in Islam, especially as that religion requires a large amount of praying and other religious rituals which you're probably not going to keep up if you don't believe in the religion itself. And then if you do decide to leave you could potentially face a lot more hostility than leaving other faiths.

There are other ways to be part of a community: join a sports team, a book club, society etc.

There's no such thing as Muslim food. And the food you're referring to can be eaten by anyone, you don't need to convert to buy it or make it...
Original post by EmbersOfThePyre
I am agnostic but have been lonely af for so long. I feel like in these difficult times it is good to have a strong community where people can mutually come together.

Plus, I like their food.

Troll

A "sense of community" doesn't change what is true.
If you're looking for meaning do some volunteer work, joining a religion so you can start calling people you've never met 'brother' and 'sister' is the most asinine thing you could do.
You should research about the religion and get in contact with a religious scholar and ask questions before you make any decisions. It’s true there’s a big sense of community in the religion because charity and congregating is a big part of the religion. Feel free to message me if you have questions about Islam, I am not a scholar but I can do my best to help.
(edited 3 years ago)
aside from the sense of community, Islam is also true :smile:
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
If you're looking for meaning do some volunteer work, joining a religion so you can start calling people you've never met 'brother' and 'sister' is the most asinine thing you could do.

You’re in an online forum… I’m sure you’re just as lonely, but pessimistic too
Reply 8
Original post by HasanQ585

Seriously? Some unproven entity spoke some vague ideas of how life should be to an illiterate wanderer in the desert. It's just another human construct to make us feel better about dying.

Surely its time for our alleged intelligent species to move past such superstitious nonsense and accept we are all mortal and have a use by date !
Original post by mike44
Seriously? Some unproven entity spoke some vague ideas of how life should be to an illiterate wanderer in the desert. It's just another human construct to make us feel better about dying.

Surely its time for our alleged intelligent species to move past such superstitious nonsense and accept we are all mortal and have a use by date !

if someone were to posit to you that said "unproven entity" does exist, what reasons and/or evidence would you accept
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
if someone were to posit to you that said "unproven entity" does exist, what reasons and/or evidence would you accept

That's a great question! I suppose I would want to see evidence that justifies the non-existence of all the other Gods we have heard of through time. Also the evidence would probably need to come from (let's call it God to make it easier) God itself as otherwise it would just be another human trying to convince us from a human perspective - which is my main point that Gods are made up by us to help order society, provide a focus for what comes after death so we don't all decide to simply live however we want during the time we have. The 'God' could show me how and why they didn't reveal self to other civilisations through history of mankind.

Many observational miracles that everybody can witness, particularly those mentioned in a holy scripture.
Having a scientific phenomenon that cannot be explained scientifically, but can merely be explained by god making said phenomenon happen.
A current, universal message from god that everybody receives at the same time.
To instantly prevent/stop all suffering around the world.
…basically anything that can only and only be explained by god.
Reply 12
Original post by 0ptics
Many observational miracles that everybody can witness, particularly those mentioned in a holy scripture.
Having a scientific phenomenon that cannot be explained scientifically, but can merely be explained by god making said phenomenon happen.
A current, universal message from god that everybody receives at the same time.
To instantly prevent/stop all suffering around the world.
…basically anything that can only and only be explained by god.

That's a good point - how about all the miracles / other worldly events recorded in the new and Old Testament being performed for everyone to see?
Original post by mike44
That's a great question! I suppose I would want to see evidence that justifies the non-existence of all the other Gods we have heard of through time. Also the evidence would probably need to come from (let's call it God to make it easier) God itself as otherwise it would just be another human trying to convince us from a human perspective - which is my main point that Gods are made up by us to help order society, provide a focus for what comes after death so we don't all decide to simply live however we want during the time we have. The 'God' could show me how and why they didn't reveal self to other civilisations through history of mankind.

When you say the evidence needs to come from God directly, what mechanism would God use to communicate it to us? Would you accept a claim from a human that they have been given revelation directly from God, and that they have been tasked to spread that message?

The only scripture I'm aware of which claims to be the explicit word of God, and is intended for all of humanity, is the Quran. And the man who claimed it was revealed to him was responsible for delivering it and explaining its message. As Muslims we affirm that God did indeed send revelation to other men throughout history and civilisations.

Any scripture (Old/New Testament, Quran, Vedas, etc.) can be tested on the consistency of its claims and historicity. If a scripture does claim to be the word of God, and that there is an afterlife, the opportunity cost of not looking into that claim is quite a hefty one, wouldnt you say
When you say the evidence needs to come from God directly, what mechanism would God use to communicate it to us? Would you accept a claim from a human that they have been given revelation directly from God, and that they have been tasked to spread that message?

The only scripture I'm aware of which claims to be the explicit word of God, and is intended for all of humanity, is the Quran. And the man who claimed it was revealed to him was responsible for delivering it and explaining its message. As Muslims we affirm that God did indeed send revelation to other men throughout history and civilisations.

Any scripture (Old/New Testament, Quran, Vedas, etc.) can be tested on the consistency of its claims and historicity. If a scripture does claim to be the word of God, and that there is an afterlife, the opportunity cost of not looking into that claim is quite a hefty one, wouldnt you say

What a scripture claims is irrelevant. Anyone can claim anything and put it in a book, that doesn’t make it true in the slightest.

God could very easily reveal his existence to all of humanity instantaneously by planting direct knowledge into everyone’s mind or via a myriad other ways.
Original post by EmbersOfThePyre
I am agnostic but have been lonely af for so long. I feel like in these difficult times it is good to have a strong community where people can mutually come together.

Plus, I like their food.

you do know that there's no such thing as "Muslim food" right?
the Muslim faith has billions of followers and each one of them have different cuisines and cultures, not all of which have a strong sense of community

As a Muslim myself, happy to answer any questions regarding the Muslim faith, and of course I am sure the local Mosque will be more than happy to welcome you if you wish to observe sermons etc, but that alone is not enough to join a religion
Original post by WazzWazz98
you do know that there's no such thing as "Muslim food" right?
the Muslim faith has billions of followers and each one of them have different cuisines and cultures, not all of which have a strong sense of community

As a Muslim myself, happy to answer any questions regarding the Muslim faith, and of course I am sure the local Mosque will be more than happy to welcome you if you wish to observe sermons etc, but that alone is not enough to join a religion

yeah, especially considering this person wants to become Muslim for the sake of community and if they regret their decision later on, the backlash they'll receive won't be worth it

Sikhism is also true and not as harsh in comparison to Islam. It is easier to follow, you also get served food in the temple for free, which is from the Indian culture. You do not get judged at your level of spirituality and everything is optional. But then again religion is a big step forward, if you need a sense of community try addressing family. But also I find Sikhism the easiest to be part of due to the sense of hospitality at the temple. No offence to any other religions.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by summerbirdreads
yeah, especially considering this person wants to become Muslim for the sake of community and if they regret their decision later on, the backlash they'll receive won't be worth it

potentially, as they will feel even more ostracised and with a lack of direction than they do already
as someone who has questioned his faith many times i suggest u research what islam really is in terms of whats permissible and stuff
the religion is great but the people arent. in my experience theyre very Conservative and tend to gatekeep a lot of things and try to play God's advocate so if u want to be a Muslim just consider those things

Latest

Trending

Trending