The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool A100 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A_J_B
Last year they used a totally different selection process-they were GCSE heavy

And before last year they would have been UCAT only as well?
Reply 41
Original post by OmarHam3d
And before last year they would have been UCAT only as well?

The year before, Liverpool used GSCEs and UCAT, with a primarily UCAT cut off at the first stage, similar to this year, but post interview, those with higher GCSE scores were given preference for an offer, being in a different group to those with lower GCSE scores. This means people with low GCSEs and high UCATs are likely to have been put off applying.
Original post by GANFYD
The year before, Liverpool used GSCEs and UCAT, with a primarily UCAT cut off at the first stage, similar to this year, but post interview, those with higher GCSE scores were given preference for an offer, being in a different group to those with lower GCSE scores. This means people with low GCSEs and high UCATs are likely to have been put off applying.

Thanks for your reply,
Let me ask you, what do you think would be a safer option of the two: applying to exeter with a score of 90 or to liverpool with a ucat of 2500 and very good GCSEs - not to say any are safe but which would be safer
Reply 43
Thanks for your reply,
Let me ask you, what do you think would be a safer option of the two: applying to exeter with a score of 90 or to liverpool with a ucat of 2500 and very good GCSEs - not to say any are safe but which would be safer

I really do not know, as it depends on factors we do not know - how many interviews are planned, primarily. So maybe try asking them that?
Otherwise, choose the one you like best!
Original post by GANFYD
I really do not know, as it depends on factors we do not know - how many interviews are planned, primarily. So maybe try asking them that?
Otherwise, choose the one you like best!

But you wouldn't go as far as saying there is no hope in both for me?
Reply 45
But you wouldn't go as far as saying there is no hope in both for me?

Nope
Hello!
Could @A_J_Bor anyone help me in deciding whether these stats would get me an interview at Liverpool for the A100 course.
I’m applying as a Home applicant and this is my first time applying to uni.

GCSEs:
Grade 9 x4: Biology, Business, Religious Studies, Geography
Grade 8 x5: Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Maths, Physics
Grade 7 x1: French

A Level Predicted Grades:
Maths- A*
Chemistry- A*
Biology- A

UCAT scores:
Verbal Reasoning: 610
Decision Making: 750
Quantitative Reasoning: 830
Abstract Reasoning: 670
Total Cognitive Score: 2860
SJT Band 2

Widening Participation: I attend a state run selective grammar school, so I don’t think I qualify for any contextual or WP considerations

Work Experience: Medic Life and Pre Med projects virtual work experiences
Volunteering at COVID vaccination clinics
Volunteering at Intermediate Care centres as a Drinks and Tea Server
Volunteer at Dementia Speciality Care home
Volunteer at Barnardos Charity store
Brighton and Sussex Medical School Interactive course
Moocs

Universities I’m interested in:
At the minute, I’m considering as I live nearby and I have seen the city and I like it.
I’m not sure whether my UCAT is high enough for Liverpool.
Would my Band 2 in SJT affect me in any way when being selected for interview at Liverpool?

Also, when universities like Liverpool say they have a cut off point for interview selection based on UCAT scores of the candidates, does that mean they invite every applicant who has a UCAT score higher than the cut off or do they start ranking applicants who have exceeded the cut off point?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 47
Original post by godsservant1
Hello!
Could @A_J_Bor anyone help me in deciding whether these stats would get me an interview at Liverpool for the A100 course.
I’m applying as a Home applicant and this is my first time applying to uni.

GCSEs:
Grade 9 x4: Biology, Business, Religious Studies, Geography
Grade 8 x5: Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Maths, Physics
Grade 7 x1: French

A Level Predicted Grades:
Maths- A*
Chemistry- A*
Biology- A

UCAT scores:
Verbal Reasoning: 610
Decision Making: 750
Quantitative Reasoning: 830
Abstract Reasoning: 670
Total Cognitive Score: 2860
SJT Band 2

Widening Participation: I attend a state run selective grammar school, so I don’t think I qualify for any contextual or WP considerations

Work Experience: Medic Life and Pre Med projects virtual work experiences
Volunteering at COVID vaccination clinics
Volunteering at Intermediate Care centres as a Drinks and Tea Server
Volunteer at Dementia Speciality Care home
Volunteer at Barnardos Charity store
Brighton and Sussex Medical School Interactive course
Moocs

Universities I’m interested in:
At the minute, I’m considering as I live nearby and I have seen the city and I like it.
I’m not sure whether my UCAT is high enough for Liverpool.
Would my Band 2 in SJT affect me in any way when being selected for interview at Liverpool?

Also, when universities like Liverpool say they have a cut off point for interview selection based on UCAT scores of the candidates, does that mean they invite every applicant who has a UCAT score higher than the cut off or do they start ranking applicants who have exceeded the cut off point?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Also likely to be fine :smile:
But where do you live that is near to both Liverpool and Bristol?? :lol:
Hi,
Just wanted to check - this year they will be ranking applicants based on their UCAT and then moving to stage 2 - of meeting or exceeded minimum academic criteria (GCSEs).
With a UCAT of 2530 band 2 and 18 points + WP.
How likely is it to get an interview this year?

Although I do understand that the cut off will rise and it’s hard to predict as there are many other factors. I’m just trying to narrow my choices with advice from the experts! Thank you in advance!
Reply 49
can anyone who got an interview last year say what score out of 108 they got in order to receive the interview invitation?
Original post by xivst
can anyone who got an interview last year say what score out of 108 they got in order to receive the interview invitation?

Cut off was 94.5 if I remember that correctly. It should be noted that they have changed their method of selection this year though.
Reply 51
Original post by XHannahR
Cut off was 94.5 if I remember that correctly. It should be noted that they have changed their method of selection this year though.

how is the method happening this year if you wouldn't mind telling me?
Original post by xivst

Details are on their website..I’ve not been keeping track of them but as far as I’m aware I think they’re ranking by ucat score
Reply 53
Original post by xivst

They are primarily ranking based on UCAT and only using GCSEs to tiebreak
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/admissions/Finalised,2021-22,,Liverpool,Departmental,supplement.pdf
Reply 54
Gcse's
Maths 8
Rs 8
Bio 8
DT 8
Chem 7
physics 7
english lit 7
english lang 7
geography 7
history 7
further maths 6

Predicted
Bio A*
Chem A*
Maths A*

UCAT
2620 sjt band 2
vr 530
dm 710
Qr 710
Ar 670
AVG: 655

No contextuals

I was wondering if it would be smart to apply to liverpool with these stats
Original post by xivst
Gcse's
Maths 8
Rs 8
Bio 8
DT 8
Chem 7
physics 7
english lit 7
english lang 7
geography 7
history 7
further maths 6

Predicted
Bio A*
Chem A*
Maths A*

UCAT
2620 sjt band 2
vr 530
dm 710
Qr 710
Ar 670
AVG: 655

No contextuals

I was wondering if it would be smart to apply to liverpool with these stats

Well you do meet the minimum GCSEs entry requirements points total (I think you have 20?, minimum is 15). Of course it's hard to say what the UCAT cutoff will be, maybe it will be easier to speculate after the interim deciles are released on Friday. Where else are you applying to?
Reply 56
Original post by Coolkingz
Well you do meet the minimum GCSEs entry requirements points total (I think you have 20?, minimum is 15). Of course it's hard to say what the UCAT cutoff will be, maybe it will be easier to speculate after the interim deciles are released on Friday. Where else are you applying to?

was thinking of applying to ARU, UEA and maybe exeter if i get a score of 95 (which is unlikely) in which case i would apply to plymouth
Original post by xivst
was thinking of applying to ARU, UEA and maybe exeter if i get a score of 95 (which is unlikely) in which case i would apply to plymouth

It seems we have pretty similar picks haha. I like the ARU choice!
Reply 58
Original post by Coolkingz
It seems we have pretty similar picks haha. I like the ARU choice!

yh I was looking at all the unis and i dont have quite a good ucat score so i was just trying toraise my chances of getting an interview :smile:
Hi I’ve got 2670 band 3 sjt. A levels are A*AA and GCSEs are 988888876 is it worth applying to Liverpool?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending