The Student Room Group

Medical Student wants to take USMLE

I am starting my first year of medicine.

I know one thing and it is that someday I want to work in the America's private healthcare system.

It really is a no-brainer when they get $400,000 a year ; around about 7 times the salary of the average UK physician !

Even the lowest paid doctors in the US get paid around about $150,000 a year from what I have read (graduate family doctors) .

This is 2.5x the maximum salary of a seasoned GP in his fifties in the UK.

So, what should I do to go about becoming an American doctor by the time I am 30 ?

When should I take the USMLE STEP exams ? Do private firms in the UK pay £400,000 or is it more like £80,000 ?

Thanks.
Original post by lewis.h

I know one thing and it is that someday I want to work in the America's private healthcare system.

It really is a no-brainer when they get $400,000 a year ; around about 7 times the salary of the average UK physician !

Even the lowest paid doctors in the US get paid around about $150,000 a year from what I have read (graduate family doctors) .

So, what should I do to go about becoming an American doctor by the time I am 30 ?

When should I take the USMLE STEP exams ? Do private firms in the UK pay £400,000 or is it more like £80,000 ?

Thanks.

Your figures are way off for medical salaries in the UK.

Private medicine in the UK is complex but earning £400,000 a year from clinical work would be extremely rare.

Just out of curiosity, what do you need £400,000 a year for? And why did you think medicine would be the easiest route to achieving this?

No idea about USMLE timings. My gut instinct tells me you will eventually need to adjust your expectations to reality however.
As had often been pointed out on TSR, the higher salaries in the USA come with far longer hours and far higher associated costs (US doctors pay a lot more for professional indemnity insurance, for example). The US system also favours graduates of US universities, making it very difficult for international doctors to get jobs unless you are prepared to work in an unpopular specialty in an unpopular location. So unless you dream of being a family doctor/GP in a remote part of Texas, and are prepared to work such long hours to get there that you have limited time to enjoy your salary, it isn't really a no brainer. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and the US system has its own problems.
Reply 3
Original post by lewis.h

Thanks.

I know seasoned GPs in their 50s who are earning FAR more than the equivalent of $150,000 (£108,000). You seem to have your UK salaries quite a way out. You say an average UK physician earns around $57,000, which is £41,000, and even without private work, most senior consultants would be on around 3x that.
Also worth noting as an IMG you aren't going to be successful in applying to residencies in any competitive specialties due to among other things US visa sponsorship requirements, so you're still going to be in specialties like family medicine or psychiatry.

Also a fresh grad isn't going to earn 150k as a family doctor. The only way they're going to earn anywhere near that is setting up their own practice in an area where they have a near monopoly over the potential patients in a wide region. So mostly areas that are rural but have a number of long term residents nearby. You aren't going to earn anywhere near that in any city where there are dozens of choices for family doctors.

Also in the US medical indemnity insurance is extremely high which is going to come right out of that income immediately. Also in most areas of the US cost of living can end up being higher due to medical insurance (there is no NHS there) being an essential cost, and in most areas you also need to have a driving license and car simply to exist. The US does not have good public transportation and is largely designed around each household having their own car. This will be even more important if you are not living in a major city which, as above, you almost certainly wouldn't end up doing.

I think you need to seriously manage your expectations about what life in America is like, and also what life as a doctor in America is like.
Original post by lewis.h

Thanks.

Private healthcare in the UK is not typically salaried so is rather dependent on your area of practice and morals.

With some dodgy practices you can earn 500k per year sure. Until the insurance companies get clued in.

But thw ild west of medicine is getting more civilised and with likes of Patterson there is inc oversight. And with oversight is reining in of pay.

You won't see those numbers - in US or here.
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
Your figures are way off for medical salaries in the UK.

Private medicine in the UK is complex but earning £400,000 a year from clinical work would be extremely rare.

Just out of curiosity, what do you need £400,000 a year for? And why did you think medicine would be the easiest route to achieving this?

No idea about USMLE timings. My gut instinct tells me you will eventually need to adjust your expectations to reality however.

I want the money to start my own branch of private cosmetic hospitals someday (possibly Maxillofacial / plastic) , but most likely just cosmetic.

I want this amount of money to expand my businesses, so I can go from rhinoplasty and cranioplasty surgery, to things like hair transplants, and the standard botox procedures.

I want to make medical procedures that would cost £8000 , much less expensive at just £4000 whilst still being extremely high quality. The same price as Turkey, but the same quality as a London practise.

Hopefully, I can expand the businesses so I have a few dozen practises ( I will only own about 10% of the company by this time) across the whole of England and am a household name, sort of like Bupa, but for cosmetic and plastic surgeries.
Reply 7
Original post by GANFYD
I know seasoned GPs in their 50s who are earning FAR more than the equivalent of $150,000 (£108,000). You seem to have your UK salaries quite a way out. You say an average UK physician earns around $57,000, which is £41,000, and even without private work, most senior consultants would be on around 3x that.

You were the legend who gave me advise on how to get into medical school. Thank you , the GOAT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending