The Student Room Group

How do I calm my anxiety?

So, I haven’t been on holiday in 2 years due to covid etc and I’m going away to Lindos , Greece on Sunday to go to a wedding on the Monday. I suffer a little with anxiety and all this week I’ve been feeling really nervous with going on a plane and actually going to our “place”. I’m Also a bit nervous for the wedding also as I’ve never ( I know 😳 ) been to an wedding before, so this will be my first one everrrr!

Any advice or tips to help me calm down before I go away and for when I go to the wedding as I keep feeling sick about it lol when there probs isn’t any need to feel this way.

Thanks x
Okay so as a person who has suffered from anxiety that is legit sooooo bad like going red for little reason and my heart jumping out my chest and everything anxiety related, I’ve learnt really well how to manage this now. The first step is to look at your surroundings and ask yourself ‘what’s making me feel anxious, and why?’ Once you learn to embrace your thoughts, even if they’re anxious ones (our brains are annoying sometimes) you can literally go anywhere in life. Also not caring what others think, for me, helps me with my anxiety. Let me know how you’re feeling and any questions if you do have any x

I would say every point of your journey to the wedding, stay in touch with your surroundings!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by A.studious
Okay so as a person who has suffered from anxiety that is legit sooooo bad like going red for little reason and my heart jumping out my chest and everything anxiety related, I’ve learnt really well how to manage this now. The first step is to look at your surroundings and ask yourself ‘what’s making me feel anxious, and why?’ Once you learn to embrace your thoughts, even if they’re anxious ones (our brains are annoying sometimes) you can literally go anywhere in life. Also not caring what others think, for me, helps me with my anxiety. Let me know how you’re feeling and any questions if you do have any x

I would say every point of your journey to the wedding, stay in touch with your surroundings!

what made you feel anxious and why?
Original post by 0ptics
what made you feel anxious and why?

I felt so judged! Like everyone in the room is just thinking about what I’m doing - once I realised that I’m simply a soul in a a beautiful body going through life, which is a beautiful gift, I realised that there’s no point in caring. My anxiety came from caring too much essentially - might’ve been a self esteem issue but I’m working on it everyday and yeah wish you well :smile: xx
Reply 4
Original post by A.studious

I just feel nervous and a bit sick like about going on the plane And the days leading to me going on holiday as I haven’t been in 2 years on a plane and abroad. I think that’s what your asking me to do ? Could you explain in more detail please? Thanks for this advice though x
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Miaj_27272
So, I haven’t been on holiday in 2 years due to covid etc and I’m going away to Lindos , Greece on Sunday to go to a wedding on the Monday. I suffer a little with anxiety and all this week I’ve been feeling really nervous with going on a plane and actually going to our “place”. I’m Also a bit nervous for the wedding also as I’ve never ( I know 😳 ) been to an wedding before, so this will be my first one everrrr!

Any advice or tips to help me calm down before I go away and for when I go to the wedding as I keep feeling sick about it lol when there probs isn’t any need to feel this way.

Thanks x

I used to get really anxious during plane rides as well, especially during turbulence. However, when the plane landed I was always back to normal again. I realised after many plane rides that the anxiety is for no reason, because it just goes away again once the plane lands. So I guess a weird tip that worked for me is to make the most of the feeling of anxiety, because it will be gone once the plane lands. Knowing the anxiety will eventually disappear again when the plane lands calmed me down, and now I feel little anxiety when going on a plane compared to before :P
Planes are the safest form of transport, the odds of a plane crash are 1/10,000 compared to a car crash which is 1/100 (literally 100x safer). The majority of plane crashes are private planes anyway, not commercial ones you will be flying on :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by headieone
I used to get really anxious during plane rides as well, especially during turbulence. However, when the plane landed I was always back to normal again. I realised after many plane rides that the anxiety is for no reason, because it just goes away again once the plane lands. So I guess a weird tip that worked for me is to make the most of the feeling of anxiety, because it will be gone once the plane lands. Knowing the anxiety will eventually disappear again when the plane lands calmed me down, and now I feel little anxiety when going on a plane compared to before :P
Planes are the safest form of transport, the odds of a plane crash are 1/10,000 compared to a car crash which is 1/100 (literally 100x safer). The majority of plane crashes are private planes anyway, not commercial ones you will be flying on :smile:

Thankyou for the advice :smile: it’s not just going on the plane again I’m nervous about going on Holiday also as I haven been on holiday in 2 due years like mentioned as of Covid being around. like once I get there I think I’ll be okay but I’m just nervous leading up to days till I go away🤣
You're getting some good advice here!

This may sound a bit off-piste but how much caffeine do you consume? Caffeine is a stimulant and can make you feel more anxious if there's a stress or worry there (like in your case it seems like you're a nervous flyer mixed with not knowing what to expect from a wedding and possibly a bit of stress from the pressure of going on holiday and needing to enjoy it, packing etc). Cutting out caffeine won't get rid of your anxiety and stress but you might find it reduces panicky feelings if you're normally consuming a lot, especially before your flight.

Otherwise I'd suggest looking into grounding techniques (the 'being in touch with your surroundings' the first commenter mentioned) as these are good at bringing you back to your senses if you're starting to feel panicky or anxious. Theres many methods but practice two or three that you like and think are easy to use/remember.
Your thread has been moved to the Health forum. :yy:
U have anxiety I know it’s hard to calm ur anxiety trust me I have anxiety to .maybe u can take a road trip to the wedding or take a bus it’s so relaxing and calm I’m not trying to make ur anxiety worse it’s just idea.
Original post by lol.yolo
You're getting some good advice here!

This may sound a bit off-piste but how much caffeine do you consume? Caffeine is a stimulant and can make you feel more anxious if there's a stress or worry there (like in your case it seems like you're a nervous flyer mixed with not knowing what to expect from a wedding and possibly a bit of stress from the pressure of going on holiday and needing to enjoy it, packing etc). Cutting out caffeine won't get rid of your anxiety and stress but you might find it reduces panicky feelings if you're normally consuming a lot, especially before your flight.

Otherwise I'd suggest looking into grounding techniques (the 'being in touch with your surroundings' the first commenter mentioned) as these are good at bringing you back to your senses if you're starting to feel panicky or anxious. Theres many methods but practice two or three that you like and think are easy to use/remember.

I Usually drink just a cup of tea in a morning with my breakfast and that’s it. And okay , Thankyou :smile:
I Usually drink just a cup of tea in a morning with my breakfast and that’s it. And okay , Thankyou :smile:

I've seen people loading up daily on multiple coffees or energy drinks but one tea a day seems moderate so you're hardy replacing the blood in your veins with pure caffeine. Is there a pattern in feelings of anxiousness, for example I went through a phase of feeling physically very anxious and panicky for not apparent reason (I had a lot of underlying stress at the time) but after recording these episodes with the purpose of identifying a common triggering thought, I realised they often occurred after I'd have a mid morning tea, so I thought I'd cut it out to see and it did help. But if you're worrying at a different time of day it probably won't make much of a difference

Now I'm away from the source of the stress I've been slowly reintroducing tea and I'm okay with it, but I do think it was increasing feelings of anxiousness when I was stressed, and triggering the early stages of a panic attack
Yes there’s a pattern of feeling anxious as I’ve been feeling like this for the past few days @lol.yolo
(edited 2 years ago)
Yes there’s a pattern of feeling anxious as I’ve been feeling like this for the past few days @lol.yolo

What I meant was does this feeling seem to follow a pattern, ie does it come on around when doing certain things or having certain thoughts that are similar in each instance. Can you spot a possible trigger when bearing this in mind. It may be that the feelings of anxiety come when having a specific thought relating to your upcoming trip, in which case is there an identifiable trigger for the thought or does it just pop to mind
Reply 14
Find yourself some anxiolytics from the GP or whatnot?

Quick Reply

Latest