The Student Room Group

Tips on making a successful Society at Uni?

Title.
Original post by DiamondDia
Title.

Hey @DiamondDia!

It's great if you're wanting to start up a society at university :biggrin:. What would your society be?
Personally I've been on a wildlife society committee for a couple of years now so have a couple of suggestions for what might be successful.
-Firstly, make sure you engage people- the point of societies is to allow new friendships to form and for people to learn new things so making sure people stay engaged is key. Putting on events, keeping social media up to date and generally checking in is a great idea. Gathering feedback is also pretty crucial- who better to tell you what's successful than the people who experience it?!

-Make sure you're making events accessible to a range of people. If you're running events purely in evenings or at weekends, you may be excluding people with part-time jobs or parental responsibilities, so it's best to try and offer some different type of events at times that people can make.

-Take a look at societies that are working. This can be at your university or at others- but have a look at the type of content and events that seem popular, and work. This can help generate some initial ideas to build off of and expand to get your society rolling!

-Key is definitely to attend any training sessions that your SU or university offers- this makes sure you'll stick to their rules and also, they know what they're talking about!

Hope this helps and good luck with your society success :smile:

Ceri (3rd year WECs student at Suffolk) :smile:
I was recently on a committee for a newly formed university society. We were successful by utilising the power of social media: most of our interactions were on Instagram but we also used Facebook and WhatsApp. We posted a lot of promos for our events as well using Instagram stories for countdowns, polls and “sneak peaks” to increase engagement. After our events, we’d post about our society members’ work/ achievements and that was a good way of gaining followers too.
Hi there,

Great tips from the others!

I was on committee for architecture society last year, it was really fun but a lot of work.

My tips for making a good society would be:

1) Be clear about what you want your society to achieve (be realistic don't oversell and underdeliver)

2) Be clear about what everyone's roles are on committee so everyone knows what they're doing and the workload is equal

3) Be consistent, make sure that your activities are regular, well planned and widely promoted so people know when to show up

4) Be aware of what members of your society are enjoying and are making them engage with the society

Obviously every society is different so you have to tailor it to your societies needs.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck!! :smile:

Jubilee - UoP Rep

Quick Reply