The Student Room Group

University of Lincoln A10L 2022 Entry (Nottingham at Lincoln)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by becausethenight
They changed the scoring system significantly this year so there are no past cutoffs to go on, so 118+ is our best guess based on previous years' admissions ratios and how points on the old system might convert, plus the increase in applicants and normal year on year increases in cutoffs. It is a best guess based on experience but it is obviously not 'definite'.

I'd imagine the number of home places is on their website? :smile:

Could you please let me know does lincoln have the ucas code of A10L and not A100. Does this mean that the course is not the same as the traditional medicine course?
Original post by OmarHam3d
Could you please let me know does lincoln have the ucas code of A10L and not A100. Does this mean that the course is not the same as the traditional medicine course?

No, it’s their normal medicine course - they just have a different code, like how Manchester has A106.
No, it’s their normal medicine course - they just have a different code, like how Manchester has A106.

Also would you say lincoln will have a lower score cut off than nottingham and if so will it be signficantly lower?

Also would you say lincoln will have a lower score cut off than nottingham and if so will it be signficantly lower?

Lincoln has historically always had a lower cutoff than Nottingham so I would be surprised if that changed. Our best guess estimates would be around 118 for Lincoln and 129 for Notts.
Can someone check if I'm being an idiot thinking I have 124 points for 5yr course :

GCSEs - 9 Eng lang, 9 physics, 9 chem, 9 bio, 9 citizenship, 8 maths, 8 Eng lit, 8 RE short Course, 7 history, 7 dt, 7 French, 6 computing

Ucat VR 740, DM 770, QR 780, AR 720
Reply 25
Original post by Spoondangler
Can someone check if I'm being an idiot thinking I have 124 points for 5yr course :

GCSEs - 9 Eng lang, 9 physics, 9 chem, 9 bio, 9 citizenship, 8 maths, 8 Eng lit, 8 RE short Course, 7 history, 7 dt, 7 French, 6 computing

Ucat VR 740, DM 770, QR 780, AR 720

Assuming your SJT is B2, yes 😊
Reply 26
I’m a home degree graduate student. But my gcse-similar exam was SPM Malaysia. Do you know how to calculate gcse score when it is not a uk gcse?
Anybody has this information?
Reply 27
If you meet our entry requirements but have not taken GCSEs or are applying with a degree, we are likely to only use your UCAT results to select for interview. Your application will not be disadvantaged if we only use your UCAT results.’

According to the statement in Lincoln selection website: I will only be scored using my UCAT because I already have undergraduate first class in biomed sci and a postgraduate.

My UCAT is

Band 2 SJT - 45 out of 60

VR 540 - 6 x 2 = 12
DM 580 - 6
QR 760 - 10
AR 860 - 12
Total = 40

So my total UCAT score will be 85.
Am I correct ?

How am I going to fit into their selection ? Very risky?
Original post by GANFYD
Assuming your SJT is B2, yes 😊

Yeah it is, thx
Reply 29
They changed the scoring system significantly this year so there are no past cutoffs to go on, so 118+ is our best guess based on previous years' admissions ratios and how points on the old system might convert, plus the increase in applicants and normal year on year increases in cutoffs. It is a best guess based on experience but it is obviously not 'definite'.

I'd imagine the number of home places is on their website? :smile:

Thank you for the info.
What exactly they have changed since last year's selection process?

Do we have FOIs for Lincoln A10L?

Lincoln A10L is one of my choices until I have got my UCAT 2740 Band 2. The band 2 and my VR 540 (very low) are the things that put my off from A10L now. However, I am pretty confident with my academic perfomance which really put this in difficult decision stage as they don't really have a set scoring for graduate but only use UCAT score. What do you guys think?

A full summary: Home applicant, graduate

GCSEs breakdown using SPM (Malaysia) which is similar with GCSE (UK).
SPM
1A - English Language
1A Malay Language
1A Mathematics
1A Further Mathematics
1A Physics
2A Chemistry
2A History
2A Moral Teaching
3B Biology
3B Chinese Language
4B English for Science and Technology.

A levels (achieved on 2009) There was no A* system.
A Biology
A Chemistry
A Physics
A Mathematics

Undergraduate Degree (achieved)
BSc Biomedical Science - first class (graduated in 2012)

Post-graduate PhD
PhD in Medical Science (completed in 2016)
** It will be over 5-year academic gap between last academic degree and 2022 intake.

UCAT and breakdown of subsections
Total score 2740 (average 685)
VR - 540 - 6 x 2=12
DM - 580 - 6
QR - 760 - 10
AR - 860 - 12
SJT Band 2 - 45
Total Score= 85

Brief mention of work experience
2016-2017 Research Technician in cardiovascular disease - laboratory based.
2017-2020 Research Postdoc in gastrointestinal disorder - clinical research.
2020-Current Trainee Healthcare Scientist (NHS) in gastrointestinal physiology - perform routine GI investigations on referral patients.
2021 April Volunteers at COVID-19 vaccination centre
2021 June GP shadowing experience (1 week)
Do you know if lincoln would accept an A* as equivalent to an 9 or an 8

Lincoln has historically always had a lower cutoff than Nottingham so I would be surprised if that changed. Our best guess estimates would be around 118 for Lincoln and 129 for Notts.

Thanks @becausethenight! Do you think 118ish is still going to be it, even with the super limited number of places ( 65 I think!?!?!)
Original post by Lollipop1to3
Thanks @becausethenight! Do you think 118ish is still going to be it, even with the super limited number of places ( 65 I think!?!?!)

It has always been 65 spots and they always give out around 200 offers
It has always been 65 spots and they always give out around 200 offers

oh okay, thanks.
Do you know if this number is just non-contextual applicants or everyone?
Original post by Lollipop1to3
oh okay, thanks.
Do you know if this number is just non-contextual applicants or everyone?

everyone
@becausethenight @GANFYD Considering that the percentage of band 1's has fallen dramatically does that mean that your estimated cut off is likely to be an overestimate now?
Reply 36
Do you know if lincoln would accept an A* as equivalent to an 9 or an 8

Everything is on their website -they differentiate between 8s and 9s
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study-with-us/undergraduate/undergraduate-medicine/undergraduate-selection-process.aspx

I understand but for the old GCSE were it is scored with letters, would a A* be equivalent to a 9 or 8
Reply 38
@becausethenight @GANFYD Considering that the percentage of band 1's has fallen dramatically does that mean that your estimated cut off is likely to be an overestimate now?

So far, there are 2719 people with a B1. Scale that up to the projected 36,996 people projected to sit by the end of the cycle and there will be about 6000 people with a B1.
But it depends if people have spotted the advantage a B1 gives them and their other stats. I based my back-of-a-fag-packet calculation on what was needed last year, but a change in shortlisting process can drastically change the cohort who apply
Original post by GANFYD
So far, there are 2719 people with a B1. Scale that up to the projected 36,996 people projected to sit by the end of the cycle and there will be about 6000 people with a B1.
But it depends if people have spotted the advantage a B1 gives them and their other stats. I based my back-of-a-fag-packet calculation on what was needed last year, but a change in shortlisting process can drastically change the cohort who apply

Well I'm really stuck on the edge because with a score of 113 I'm not really able to quantify my chances. What risk do you consider my score to be?

Quick Reply