The Student Room Group

Curious- how many got ill after the covid vaccine

Note: this is not the thread to debate covid vaccines and wether people who don't want them are 'selfish and ignorant' or how people who do are 'gullible and spineless'

I'm curious as to how many of you got ill after the vaccine. I've had friends who were totally fine (apart from arm pain) both times and others who had to call in sick as they were very ill.

For me the first time round was ok but this second dose was awful, my arm pain was bad which made it difficult to get to sleep, then at 4am I woke up feverish and couldn't get back to sleep. I had a high temperature all day, incurable headache, fatigue (probably due to no sleep) and dizziness. Thankfully it was gone after two days but I've never gotten ill after a vaccine, only arm pain. I've never had a flu jab so I don't know if its virus vaccines that do this kind of thing or just the covid one.

Scroll to see replies

I felt a bit grotty after mine but it was okay in a day or two with paracetamol. Haven't had #2 yet.
I had chest pain, dizziness and pins and needles after the first one. The dizziness and pins and needles went away after about a week or two but the chest pain wouldn't budge until 3 weeks.

I ended up going to A&E after the link between the Pfizer vaccine and heart inflammation was made just to be safe and thankfully I was fine. I've since had the second one and had 0 side effects after that. It was odd :s-smilie:
(edited 2 years ago)
Nope. No reaction either time. Nothing. At all. Nada.
I was completely fine.
Reply 5
I had both AZ jabs. About 12 hours after my first jab I had a fever, felt really weak, dizzy, every joint and muscle hurt - pretty much flu-ish. Woke up the next day after a bad sleep and just felt like I had a mild hangover. The 12-16 hours after the first jab were the worst for me. Second jab, didn't really feel anything other than a bit achy all over but nothing compared to the first jab. Arm hurt for about 4 days with each jab and hurt a lot more than I expected. I couldn't sleep on the jabbed arm side for days. Husband had the same jabs as me and pretty much had the same experience - first jab side effects were the worst but short lived and pretty much nothing with the second.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Note: this is not the thread to debate covid vaccines and wether people who don't want them are 'selfish and ignorant' or how people who do are 'gullible and spineless'

I'm curious as to how many of you got ill after the vaccine. I've had friends who were totally fine (apart from arm pain) both times and others who had to call in sick as they were very ill.

For me the first time round was ok but this second dose was awful, my arm pain was bad which made it difficult to get to sleep, then at 4am I woke up feverish and couldn't get back to sleep. I had a high temperature all day, incurable headache, fatigue (probably due to no sleep) and dizziness. Thankfully it was gone after two days but I've never gotten ill after a vaccine, only arm pain. I've never had a flu jab so I don't know if its virus vaccines that do this kind of thing or just the covid one.

https://openvaers.com/covid-data
I was mostly just tired after mine. Felt a bit rough after the second dose but it also coincided with being exposed to hayfever-related triggers so hard to say how much of it was down to the vaccine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Second dose I had exactly the same as the OP described but passed in 2 days
Reply 9
Original post by Something Peach
I had chest pain, dizziness and pins and needles after the first one. The dizziness and pins and needles went away after about a week or two but the chest pain wouldn't budge until 3 weeks.

I ended up going to A&E after the link between the Pfizer vaccine and heart inflammation was made just to be safe and thankfully I was fine. I've since had the second one and had 0 side effects after that. It was odd :s-smilie:

That sounds scary! Most of my side effects I was told to expect might occur (though I didn't anticipate them being so bad I was turned to a vegetable for a day) but I haven't heard of yours being common. I definitely would've freaked
Original post by Anonymous
I've never had a flu jab so I don't know if its virus vaccines that do this kind of thing or just the covid one.

What you've described are common vaccine side effects in general. Plenty of people have had them. Many people haven't had any. My wife and I were fine after both our Pfizer jabs, which actually surprised us as we were ready for some side effects, particular after the second one which was reported as more commonly resulting in side effects. Side effects that last longer than a couple of days are much less common.
Reply 11
Pfizer-BioNtech

First dose - slightly sore shoulder the following day

Second dose - slightly sore shoulder and headache the following day (then again, could have been a hangover)

Clearly important to read the disclaimer on that data in the top left had corner of the page. Even they are very open about it being entirely unverified and the fact that it cannot be used to establish that a vaccine caused or contributed to any of the reported effects. It exists to spot trends essentially as an early warning sign that there may be a problem. In and of itself, it cannot establish either way if there actually is a problem.
#1: Sore arm for a day, very sore. Moving it helped a lot.
#2: Sore arm for a day, barely sore. Moving it helped a lot.

#2 was way weaker than #1, for me.
Pfizer.
Reply 14
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Clearly important to read the disclaimer on that data in the top left had corner of the page. Even they are very open about it being entirely unverified and the fact that it cannot be used to establish that a vaccine caused or contributed to any of the reported effects. It exists to spot trends essentially as an early warning sign that there may be a problem. In and of itself, it cannot establish either way if there actually is a problem.

It's a disclaimer warning that the data is open source and therefore not 100% accurate due to the fact that anyone can contribute and not all reports are verified. I am not telling you how to interpret the data just presenting it.
Original post by Xiphos
It's a disclaimer warning that the data is open source and therefore not 100% accurate due to the fact that anyone can contribute and not all reports are verified. I am not telling you how to interpret the data just presenting it.

So, that's an admission that it's worthless from any kind of scientific perspective. Why present useless "data"???
Reply 16
Original post by ageshallnot
So, that's an admission that it's worthless from any kind of scientific perspective. Why present useless "data"???

You stating that a data set is 'useless' because it is open source doesn't make it so. I would not take it as empirical but, I would find it hard to believe that hundreds of thousands of people suddenly deiced to fabricate false reports all around the globe in the last 12 months. That is my interpretation of the data; how you choose to interpret it is down to you hence the disclaimer.
Original post by Xiphos
You stating that a data set is 'useless' because it is open source doesn't make it so. I would not take it as empirical but, I would find it hard to believe that hundreds of thousands of people suddenly deiced to fabricate false reports all around the globe in the last 12 months. That is my interpretation of the data; how you choose to interpret it is down to you hence the disclaimer.

Then you are very innocent. Fabrication of "data" is a worldwide industry.
Original post by ageshallnot
Then you are very innocent. Fabrication of "data" is a worldwide industry.

Lancet would know.
Original post by Xiphos

Apologies. I misinterpreted what the site was. Have to admit I was wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest