The Student Room Group

should i drop chemistry?

i have been in year 12 for 2 weeks now, studying maths, physics and chemistry. i want to do a physics degree at university.
the only problem is that i am really not enjoying chemistry so far. i already find it difficult and it just doesn’t feel like the right choice for me.
i am considering changing to history, as this was my back up choice, and something i am very interested in. but I’m concerned that maths, physics and history don’t really go together. are these a-levels good for a physics degree?
thanks in advance for any advice:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
The first few weeks of chemistry is solid. Pretty much all of the class got grade D on the first assessment, but as you gradually become familiar it then becomes easier. It’s A levels, don’t forget.

However, if you feel like you have no baseline GCSE knowledge, I’d advise that you revisit some of these before you learn something that you find tricky at A level.

If still no hope, feel free to drop it. Bare in mind that history isn’t an easy ticket out by any means, it still requires work. As for the physics degree, I don’t think it matters. There seems to only be emphasis on Maths and Physics. Check Uni Guide for more info. :yy:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CaptainDuckie
The first few weeks of chemistry is solid. Pretty much all of the class got grade D on the first assessment, but as you gradually become familiar it then becomes easier. It’s A levels, don’t forget.

However, if you feel like you have no baseline GCSE knowledge, I’d advise that you revisit some of these before you learn something that you find tricky at A level.

If still no hope, feel free to drop it. Bare in mind that history isn’t an easy ticket out by any means, it still requires work. As for the physics degree, I don’t think it matters. There seems to only be emphasis on Maths and Physics.

thanks for the advice!
I wouldn't recommend it, because chemistry gets a lot better after about a month - well it did for me. Because I wasn't getting anything in class I went home and studied what we had learnt, and even asked the teacher what we were doing next lesson, so that I could read ahead. You don't need to do this much right away, but once chemistry clicks it's not so bad. Also worth mentioning that I have many friends who take history and they are always complaining about the essays and workload!

EDIT: I also highly recommended physics and maths tutor for chemistry revision! And the CGP chemistry student guide is brilliant too!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by franksfoot1
I wouldn't recommend it, because chemistry gets a lot better after about a month - well it did for me. Because I wasn't getting anything in class I went home and studied what we had learnt, and even asked the teacher what we were doing next lesson, so that I could read ahead. You don't need to do this much right away, but once chemistry clicks it's not so bad. Also worth mentioning that I have many friends who take history and they are always complaining about the essays and workload!

EDIT: I also highly recommended physics and maths tutor for chemistry revision! And the CGP chemistry student guide is brilliant too!

thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by fierypianos
i have been in year 12 for 2 weeks now, studying maths, physics and chemistry. i want to do a physics degree at university.
the only problem is that i am really not enjoying chemistry so far. i already find it difficult and it just doesn’t feel like the right choice for me.
i am considering changing to history, as this was my back up choice, and something i am very interested in. but I’m concerned that maths, physics and history don’t really go together. are these a-levels good for a physics degree?
thanks in advance for any advice:smile:

I mean that combination should be fine in terms of requirements but in terms of competition maybe not really for example I wanna do a physics degree so I took further maths, maths, physics and computer science which are all subjects closely related to physics and are even recomended by some unis

Quick Reply

Latest