The Student Room Group

University of St Andrews A101 / ScotGEM 2022 Entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University of St Andrews A101.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about St Andrews.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the University of St Andrews A101 / ScotGEM 2022 Entry Discussion.

St Andrews A101 / ScotGEM 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560844

St Andrews A101 / ScotGEM 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022684

For general information click: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/scotgem-mbchb/

For entry requirements click: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/scotgem-mbchb/entry-requirements/

St Andrews A101 / ScotGEM 2022 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7190536

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is there a thread for ScotGEM 2022 applicants?
Reply 2
Hey grace, guess this is it now!

I'm Lily it is nice to meet you!

Have you sat the GAMSAT yet?
Hi Lily! I haven't, bit of a late decision so have decided to wait till march to give myself a proper shot at it! Have you?
Hey guys, I will be applying as well for 2022 entry.Currently struggling with getting relevant experience. Are you guys facing the same challenge?Will be interesting to discuss background of those who are planning to apply
Hey - anyone here having to sit their Chemistry next summer for this course?
Reply 6
Hi there, I'm also thinking of sitting the gamsat and applying next year for 2023 entry. Was just wondering if you guys had any recommendations on which resources and where to get them?

Also where else are you all applying? :smile:
Hi,

The official Acer material (though very expensive), Des O Neill, Science dummy books and the AceGamsat Bible set are all very good.

I have managed to buy all the above plus many other tests I could find...message me if you are interested and we can figure something out.
Reply 8
Original post by Shahishame
Hi,

The official Acer material (though very expensive), Des O Neill, Science dummy books and the AceGamsat Bible set are all very good.

I have managed to buy all the above plus many other tests I could find...message me if you are interested and we can figure something out.

Ah that's great, can't message just yet as I'm a new member apparently but will do at some point! What was the rough cost of those resources and did you get the non-ACER ones from ebay? Cheers
Original post by lesty24
Ah that's great, can't message just yet as I'm a new member apparently but will do at some point! What was the rough cost of those resources and did you get the non-ACER ones from ebay? Cheers

Acer material costs 27 GBP per paper and there are 3 practice papers + few other smaller versions of full exams (total cost of this is around 100GBP) if you buy it from Acer's website. Acer seems to be only website that sells them unfortunately :frown:

AceGamsat Bible set is around 147 GBP and Des O Neill can be bought from eBay or Scribd if you have their subscription...

Will be able to sell these for alot cheaper as I would hate to see anyone paying more than what they should have like I did....
Reply 10
Yeah that's quite pricey haha, heard the acer and des resources are really good so will message you about those in a few days.
Do the acer materials get updated as time goes on and if so, are the older ones still good for practice?

Also are you applying via ukcat as well to other unis?
Original post by lesty24
Yeah that's quite pricey haha, heard the acer and des resources are really good so will message you about those in a few days.
Do the acer materials get updated as time goes on and if so, are the older ones still good for practice?

Also are you applying via ukcat as well to other unis?

e.

Yes, they are pricey indeed, Acer swimming in my money!

People do seem to say that test 3 is the most representative but I would say the previous tests are very helpful as they are a very similar natur

Sure and no, only Gamsat unis, had to prioritise one exam over the other due to limited time.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey guys, really considering ScotGEM as my fourth option but so unsure on how the GAMSAT went I’m not too confident in it using up a place! Does anyone know what the GAMSAT cut off has been for last year?
I think it's the same as other unis like at George's Swansea, 61-63 so top 30-20% I think
Original post by ashleighs1996x
Hey guys, really considering ScotGEM as my fourth option but so unsure on how the GAMSAT went I’m not too confident in it using up a place! Does anyone know what the GAMSAT cut off has been for last year?

Not sure for definite but most likely in the upper 50’s/lower 60’s like the other GAMSAT courses. Swansea, Notts and SGUL usually fluctuate between 57-61. Swansea was a bit higher last time at 62 though! I’ll be applying to all 4 with a score of 61 :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Can anyone explain gem funding for Scotland, is it the same as in the UK? Does the NHS bursary pay for your 2nd,3rd and 4th year fees? I am also unsure about what my fee status is. If anyone could PM me and help me figure this out, it would be appreciated.
Reply 16
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Can anyone explain gem funding for Scotland, is it the same as in the UK? Does the NHS bursary pay for your 2nd,3rd and 4th year fees? I am also unsure about what my fee status is. If anyone could PM me and help me figure this out, it would be appreciated.

Everyone receives a bursary of £4000 per year from NHS Scotland. This is essentially an incentive/helping hand and is separate from fees.
f you are Scottish then your fees are paid.
If you are English expect to pay £9000 a year.
If you are out with the UK then expect to pay the same as you would at any UK university.
Original post by poohyy
Everyone receives a bursary of £4000 per year from NHS Scotland. This is essentially an incentive/helping hand and is separate from fees.
f you are Scottish then your fees are paid.
If you are English expect to pay £9000 a year.
If you are out with the UK then expect to pay the same as you would at any UK university.

Also the 4k is only if you work for NHS Scotland after graduation
Anyone else made a start on the questionnaires??
Original post by 2Ariadne2
Anyone else made a start on the questionnaires??

Yeah, a bit struggling with the 1000 character limit, I'm over the limit for question 1 and 2.haven't started 3,not sure how to answer it :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending