The Student Room Group

Government planning October lockdown

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
No it really isnt and youll likely find the majority of the population would show you exactly where to get off with your idea about putting them under house arrest for no other reason than you feel like it. Lockdowns dop not work at stopping the virus, no one ever claimed they did, theyre a stop gap measure (and a bloody expensive one at that) so unless you want to bankrupt the country on the small off chance you might save a few lives (given theyll likely get the virus anyway it being a moot point) you should really start being slightly more realistic in respecting that others want to live their lives and go back to work and not live in total fear like a cowering child as you propose.

Exactly ...lockdowns were only ever a temporary measure to protect the NHS (in the UK) or other healthcare systems. I think the trouble is some people liked them too much and forgot that they had of necessity to be a temporary measure not a permanent new reality.
Original post by Azagthoa
https://inews.co.uk/news/covid-lockdown-government-plans-october-firebreak-restrictions-hospital-admissions-1185533?_gl=1*1hs63j8*_ga*RF9yRDB3SkFRTHRNVXhoY2YwSERJRm56QmNUZUdRSHZhUmRheUNsWmZFU3F1cXotNHF4bUt0cjhNTVR5RUp2Qw..

https://inews.co.uk/news/october-lockdown-firebreak-covid-rules-smaller-gatherings-restrictions-sage-1188097

I explained to you all many months ago that the vaccine is not enough to return us to normal. Even after our vaccine rollout hospitalisations are too high and will overwhelm the NHS. We desperately need this lockdown urgently. We need to accept permanent restrictions as our new way of life, unfortunately the delta variant is too deadly and spreads too quickly even with vaccines.

I expect a full and frank apology @A_J_B @harrysbar

What are you talking about?!
(In relation to your entire text)

Can you give me the statistics or even some simple numbers that the delta variant is too deadly as you claimed with reference to the CFR and IFR or any other numbers you can find.

You need desperately another lockdown and permanent restrictions?! I think these arguments are at odds with reality, common sense, and science altogether.
Reply 42
Original post by Opinyons
You should really start being slightly more realistic and respecting that some people simply want to feel comfortable when they take public transport like trains and busses without someone without a mask on (who's likely unvaccinated) coughing all over them in an enclosed space. That's not unreasonable. The fact the trains keep having adverts on the radio because people have stopped using them isn't suprising, cause it's a petri dish.

Err what are you on about in relation to my post or was this just an excuse to rant about people taking train rides without masks ?:s-smilie:
Original post by Napp
you should really start being slightly more realistic in respecting that others want to live their lives and go back to work and not live in total fear like a cowering child as you propose.

You should really start being slightly more realistic and respecting that some people simply want to feel comfortable when they take public transport like trains and busses without someone without a mask on (who's likely unvaccinated) coughing all over them in an enclosed space. That's not unreasonable. The fact the trains keep having adverts on the radio because people have stopped using them isn't suprising, cause it's a petri dish.

Original post by Napp
Err what are you on about in relation to my post or was this just an excuse to rant about people taking train rides without masks ?:s-smilie:

It is quite obvious it was in relation to what you said about respecting peoples feelings. You feel others want to live their lives and go back to work, the bit about a cowering child is a bit insulting mind. My point is also about respecting peoples feelings, that they don't feel safe in enclosed spaces with non mask wearers.
Reply 44
It is quite obvious it was in relation to what you said about respecting peoples feelings. You feel others want to live their lives and go back to work, the bit about a cowering child is a bit insulting mind. My point is also about respecting peoples feelings, that they don't feel safe in enclosed spaces with non mask wearers.

Good for them? Where did i mention people not wearing masks though...?
Cowering children scared of masks. It's not hard to wear a mask.
Original post by harrysbar
But we’re not living with those restrictions? Barely anyone is wearing them in schools anymore and fewer people every week are wearing them in shops and restaurants

We might not have much in the way of restrictions for now, but the scientists clearly want them reintroduced and they keep moving the goalposts. Remember when they said vaccines were the way out of this? Now some of them have changed the narrative and said we can't rely on vaccines alone. When does it end? They are out of control and drunk on power.
Original post by Megacent
We might not have much in the way of restrictions for now, but the scientists clearly want them reintroduced and they keep moving the goalposts. Remember when they said vaccines were the way out of this? Now some of them have changed the narrative and said we can't rely on vaccines alone. When does it end? They are out of control and drunk on power.

Nothing is being reintroduced ...
You should really start being slightly more realistic and respecting that some people simply want to feel comfortable when they take public transport like trains and busses without someone without a mask on (who's likely unvaccinated) coughing all over them in an enclosed space.

If they have been vaccinated then they are protected against covid, so not sure why they would still feel uncomfortable.
If they have been vaccinated then they are protected against covid, so not sure why they would still feel uncomfortable.

That’s right ...once we’ve been vaccinated we positively delight in people coughing all over us
Nothing is being reintroduced ...go to bed I implore you

That wasn't the impression I got listening to Comical Chris at the press conference.
That’s right ...once we’ve been vaccinated we positively delight in people coughing all over us

Look I agree it's pretty unhygienic when you think about it but I don't understand why people seem so terrified about this particular virus. I take public transport a lot and every winter I catch something and spend a few days in bed feeling crap. I don't like it but that's just the way it is, unavoidable when you live in a big city and take crowded public transport. Just take it on the chin and get on with life? Genuinely don't understand why people are acting as though catching a bug is some new and terrifying thing..

The world has gone utterly barking mad, idiots everywhere.
Look I agree it's pretty unhygienic when you think about it but I don't understand why people seem so terrified about this particular virus. I take public transport a lot and every winter I catch something and spend a few days in bed feeling crap. I don't like it but that's just the way it is, unavoidable when you live in a big city and take crowded public transport. Just take it on the chin and get on with life? Genuinely don't understand why people are acting as though catching a bug is some new and terrifying thing..

I do kind of agree with you which is worrying
I do kind of agree with you which is worrying

That is quite scary :eek:

I'm sorry about all the people who have died from covid, but without meaning to sound uncaring (although it probably will) people have always died from all kinds of viruses. But we just have to deal with that and move on, life has to go on for the rest of us. Last year when I was advocating we just learn to live with it as another virus doing the rounds, people criticized me and said we should hold on for the vaccine rollout. After all, we were promised by these scientists that this was the way back to normal. But now some of them seem to be changing the goalposts by saying vaccination alone isn't enough. If that's the case, then what exactly is? How long should we wait before returning to the 2019 normal? I think the scientists should be questioned on that, because it honestly feels like a lot of them want this to go on forever. Susan Michie openly admitted she wants restrictions in place forever and actually had a little giggle when she said it, as though she was enjoying it. Why are people like that held in such high regard by the government and (seemingly) a large part of the general public?

We need to forget any talk about possible reintroduction of restrictions. We have rolled out the vaccine to anyone who wants one, we've protected the NHS, it is time to get back to normal now. Because if not now, then when exactly?
(edited 2 years ago)

I don't see why people's irrational paranoia should be respected, let alone pandered to. The simple fact is, an unmasked person is of no significantly greater threat to you than a masked person because mask wearing in general doesn't make a whole heap of difference in the grand scheme of things. Yes they slightly slow the rate of spread (key word there being 'slow', not 'stop') but they are in no way shape or form a magic bullet against infection and they probably won't stop you or anybody else getting infected at some point down the line. And with the overwhelming majority of the most clinically vulnerable people vaccinated and indeed about to receive booster shots, I see no reason why widespread mask usage should continue.

This pandemic does appear to have created a large contingency of people who seemingly never want to be sick or exposed to any germs ever again, and are quite willing to see our society and culture turned on it's head to achieve it. Well I'm sorry, but that's just tough ****, sickness and germs are an unavoidable fact of life, and a necessary one at that. You build a strong immune system through exposure to these things. Constantly shying away from germs and attempting to live as sterile a life as possible in an attempt to stay 'healthy', is on the one hand no way to live your life, but two, it's not even healthy. Eventually something will break through your futile defences, your immune system will not be prepared for it and you're going to get sicker than you otherwise would have been. Anecdotally, out everybody I know, the ones who invariably tend to get sick with colds and flus the most (multiple times a year), are the germophobic, clean freak types.
Original post by Azagthoa
https://inews.co.uk/news/covid-lockdown-government-plans-october-firebreak-restrictions-hospital-admissions-1185533?_gl=1*1hs63j8*_ga*RF9yRDB3SkFRTHRNVXhoY2YwSERJRm56QmNUZUdRSHZhUmRheUNsWmZFU3F1cXotNHF4bUt0cjhNTVR5RUp2Qw..

https://inews.co.uk/news/october-lockdown-firebreak-covid-rules-smaller-gatherings-restrictions-sage-1188097

I explained to you all many months ago that the vaccine is not enough to return us to normal. Even after our vaccine rollout hospitalisations are too high and will overwhelm the NHS. We desperately need this lockdown urgently. We need to accept permanent restrictions as our new way of life, unfortunately the delta variant is too deadly and spreads too quickly even with vaccines.

I expect a full and frank apology @A_J_B @harrysbar

The Lockdown formula is a researched-based or government-based decision. Lockdown kills medium-class family earning. Delta variant is dangerous, in the future we will see so many types of virus and bacteria. The solution is lockdown or self immunity.

Always make your body fit and fine by taking good foods and regular exercise. Don't be panic always follows good habits and be cool. Do yoga daily.
October has arrived and there is no sign of any restrictions being re-introduced. Mind you, those in the south east are finding it more difficult to travel and I wonder if this will have any impact.
Reply 57
Original post by Call2Jamespaul
The Lockdown formula is a researched-based or government-based decision. Lockdown kills medium-class family earning. Delta variant is dangerous, in the future we will see so many types of virus and bacteria. The solution is lockdown or self immunity.

Always make your body fit and fine by taking good foods and regular exercise. Don't be panic always follows good habits and be cool. Do yoga daily.

What on earth does yoga have to do with Covid?
Reply 58
Original post by Chadmiral Nelson
This pandemic does appear to have created a large contingency of people who seemingly never want to be sick or exposed to any germs ever again, and are quite willing to see our society and culture turned on it's head to achieve it. Well I'm sorry, but that's just tough ****, sickness and germs are an unavoidable fact of life, and a necessary one at that. You build a strong immune system through exposure to these things. Constantly shying away from germs and attempting to live as sterile a life as possible in an attempt to stay 'healthy', is on the one hand no way to live your life, but two, it's not even healthy. Eventually something will break through your futile defences, your immune system will not be prepared for it and you're going to get sicker than you otherwise would have been. Anecdotally, out everybody I know, the ones who invariably tend to get sick with colds and flus the most (multiple times a year), are the germophobic, clean freak types.

I wouldnt say its created them, merely given them an excuse to be seen as normal as opposed to being the cleasn freaks they used to be derided at, which is a bit of a shame to be honest. Reminds me of the study that linked such behaviour to a rise in autoimmune conditions, when you dont let yourself or kids ever get exposed to any form of illness.
I'm not sure about yoga but things such as washing hands properly, hand over mouth when coughing and other basic hygiene measures should be normalised. Many jobs can work from home at least part of the week and this should continue, not having people come back into the office full time because of a David Brent style boss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending