The Student Room Group

options help? for med

hi!
i’ve never asked anything here before so sorry if i do it wrong.
basically i really want to take biology, chemistry, maths, and history for a level and i’m thinking of doing an EPQ as well but my school is discouraging people from taking four a levels and they’ll probably let me but i’ll be a huge exception (i’m on track for all 9s at gcse).
I was planning on doing either maths or history for AS so it’s a little easier but i’ve just found out that my school’s sixth form doesn’t do AS at all and (i’m not sure if doing 4 a levels for the whole two years would be way too hard) so i’m thinking of moving but i’m not really sure - the other sixth form i’m thinking of going to if i don’t go to mine DOES do AS and they actually make you do 4 a levels in year 12 then drop one or carry on with 4 in year 13 which is EXACTLY what i want, but it’s private and affording it isn’t really a problem but i’ve heard grammar schools are better than private? (i’m aiming for oxbridge i think). plus our headteacher is leaving like next year so it’ll probably be really disorganised but all my friends are here and all the teachers know me and it’ll be a lot easier to just stay but idk how my school will feel about me doing 4 a levels so idrk what to do.
I’ve talked to a lot of people who said history was REALLY good and i’m really excited about taking it because i’m good at essays and i want to keep that up for med school but my parents are saying to not take history because i don’t directly need it for medicine but idk because i really love history but i’ve heard maths is very important and i’m taking further maths so i might as well just do maths and i like it too.
If i don’t do history i’d defo consider doing further maths instead because i’m good at maths and my maths teacher has said i’m good enough to do it,
but should i just suck it up and do bio chem maths because that’s all i need? because i don’t want to have just science subjects but i’m also VERY set on medicine (but i also LOVE history)

sorry this is so long but basically should i do bio chem maths and history a level for both years and should i do epq as well? and would it be okay for medicine at a really good uni?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ka1233
hi!
basically i really want to take biology, chemistry, maths, and history for a level and i’m thinking of doing an EPQ as well but my school is discouraging people from taking four a levels and they’ll probably let me but i’ll be a huge exception (i’m on track for all 9s at gcse).
I was planning on doing either maths or history for AS so it’s a little easier but i’ve just found out that my school’s sixth form doesn’t do AS at all and (i’m not sure if doing 4 a levels for the whole two years would be way too hard) so i’m thinking of moving but i’m not really sure - the other sixth form i’m thinking of going to if i don’t go to mine DOES do AS and they actually make you do 4 a levels in year 12 then drop one or carry on with 4 in year 13 which is EXACTLY what i want, but it’s private and affording it isn’t really a problem but i’ve heard grammar schools are better than private? (i’m aiming for oxbridge i think). plus our headteacher is leaving like next year so it’ll probably be really disorganised but all my friends are here and all the teachers know me and it’ll be a lot easier to just stay but idk how my school will feel about me doing 4 a levels so idrk what to do.
I’ve talked to a lot of people who said history was REALLY good and i’m really excited about taking it because i’m good at essays and i want to keep that up for med school but my parents are saying to not take history because i don’t directly need it for medicine but idk because i really love history but i’ve heard maths is very important and i’m taking further maths so i might as well just do maths and i like it too.
If i don’t do history i’d defo consider doing further maths instead because i’m good at maths and my maths teacher has said i’m good enough to do it,
but should i just suck it up and do bio chem maths because that’s all i need? because i don’t want to have just science subjects but i’m also VERY set on medicine (but i also LOVE history)

sorry this is so long but basically should i do bio chem maths and history a level for both years and should i do epq as well? and would it be okay for medicine at a really good uni?

bio chem and maths , your epq can be on history maybe linked w medicine. Get good grades in the three you need with the extra time and also use that time for work experience. Stay at your schools sixth form :smile:
Hey!

4 A' Levels is a lot to take on, I can tell you know that even for the brightest fo students, A' Levels are a huge step up form GCSE. If I were you, i'd focus on 3 A Levels, which is enough to get you by, You'd be good to go with Biology and Chemistry with a subject of your choosing (Maths ideal). 3 Good A Levels will get you into a top Medical School, don't add to the burden with a 4th A Level.

Good Luck.
Reply 3
Original post by sototo
bio chem and maths , your epq can be on history maybe linked w medicine. Get good grades in the three you need with the extra time and also use that time for work experience. Stay at your schools sixth form :smile:

thank you! i think i’ll do that
Reply 4
Original post by Will_Armo
Hey!

4 A' Levels is a lot to take on, I can tell you know that even for the brightest fo students, A' Levels are a huge step up form GCSE. If I were you, i'd focus on 3 A Levels, which is enough to get you by, You'd be good to go with Biology and Chemistry with a subject of your choosing (Maths ideal). 3 Good A Levels will get you into a top Medical School, don't add to the burden with a 4th A Level.

Good Luck.

thank you! could i do history as a third instead of maths, or would it be better to have maths in there to support the others or history to show like a wide range or subjects?
Original post by ka1233
thank you! could i do history as a third instead of maths, or would it be better to have maths in there to support the others or history to show like a wide range or subjects?

I would say maths compliments the subjects a bit more. Certainly have a look at your preferred universities to see their entry requirements, but I'm pretty sure you should favour maths over history for medicine.
I just wouldn't say there's much point to doing 4 to be honest, although people do. Maybe you could start with it for a term and drop your least favourite.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ka1233
hi!

Okay well if you want to do medicine, university doesn't matter at all, once you're in your in. This isn't the case if you want to go into research, you will need to go to a top uni for that but only a few people go into research as it doesn't pay well at all.

I would not take 4, getting 4 A* is extremely difficult and will make sure you have no social life at all.

Stick with Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Also get an EPQ if the workload is easy for you, it isn't necessary. You must aim for A* for all, especially in Maths so you can have a lot of options in terms of career if you later find out medicine is not the career for you. With three A levels you can spend you free time in the industry gaining experience which is heavily desired by universities.

In terms of career, medicine in the UK is by far the worst. Large majority of doctors move abroad to privatised healthcares like Canada, America and Europe.

In the UK, you will be limited at £35k- £45k for about 10-15 years until you reach consultancy status. Even then it isn't worth it as you will be working long tedious hours, bear this in mind, not many people tell you this.

Screw private schools, not worth it unless the money isn't much to you.

You don't need 4 A Levels, you will be working so hard to achieve A* A* A* A*, just to meet a guy at your uni who got A* A A. Once your in university no one cares about your A Levels, and no one likes the person who doesn't stop mentioning them. And remember life is short and you also wanna have a good time, who knows what the future holds for you.

Any other questions don't hesitate!
Reply 8
Generally, you won't need to take an EPQ. To be completely honest, it doesn't really help that much in the application process. You'll give yourself much more free time and energy!

I also considered 4 a levels in y12 (I was thinking that taking 4 would help me "stand out" more) but I can now say with confidence that it really does not benefit you too much.

I would check the entry requirements for some universities - some may only require two subjects.
For example, if a uni only needs maths and chem, you could sub out bio for history.

I hope this helps :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Dakotaz
Okay well if you want to do medicine, university doesn't matter at all, once you're in your in. This isn't the case if you want to go into research, you will need to go to a top uni for that but only a few people go into research as it doesn't pay well at all.

I would not take 4, getting 4 A* is extremely difficult and will make sure you have no social life at all.

Stick with Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Also get an EPQ if the workload is easy for you, it isn't necessary. You must aim for A* for all, especially in Maths so you can have a lot of options in terms of career if you later find out medicine is not the career for you. With three A levels you can spend you free time in the industry gaining experience which is heavily desired by universities.

In terms of career, medicine in the UK is by far the worst. Large majority of doctors move abroad to privatised healthcares like Canada, America and Europe.

In the UK, you will be limited at £35k- £45k for about 10-15 years until you reach consultancy status. Even then it isn't worth it as you will be working long tedious hours, bear this in mind, not many people tell you this.

Screw private schools, not worth it unless the money isn't much to you.

You don't need 4 A Levels, you will be working so hard to achieve A* A* A* A*, just to meet a guy at your uni who got A* A A. Once your in university no one cares about your A Levels, and no one likes the person who doesn't stop mentioning them. And remember life is short and you also wanna have a good time, who knows what the future holds for you.

Any other questions don't hesitate!

thank you! i’m not really thinking about anything past uni right now but i’ll keep it all in mind
Reply 10
Original post by bowen-w
Generally, you won't need to take an EPQ. To be completely honest, it doesn't really help that much in the application process. You'll give yourself much more free time and energy!

I also considered 4 a levels in y12 (I was thinking that taking 4 would help me "stand out" more) but I can now say with confidence that it really does not benefit you too much.

I would check the entry requirements for some universities - some may only require two subjects.
For example, if a uni only needs maths and chem, you could sub out bio for history.

I hope this helps :smile:

thanks! i’ve looked at some unis and all of them except Cambridge only want bio and chem and don’t care what the third is, but i’ll probably just do maths since it’s probably easier than history and a lot of people say to do maths instead
Reply 11
Original post by ashtolga23
I just wouldn't say there's much point to doing 4 to be honest, although people do. Maybe you could start with it for a term and drop your least favourite.

thanks! i’m probably going to do that just to see what they’re all like because i feel like history is a lot more interesting than maths but maths is more useful so i’m not sure
Original post by ka1233
thank you! i’m not really thinking about anything past uni right now but i’ll keep it all in mind

You're right, you're not thinking anything past uni yet. But you should, earlier you know your field the easier decisions will be later on.

Taking history over maths is a tough one, if you enjoy history more take it for your third A Level. Maths in my opinion is easier and gives a slight advantage in uni applications. Contact your desired university and ask them which one they would prefer.

And don't forget EXPERIENCE!! Very important when applying!!!

Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Dakotaz
You're right, you're not thinking anything past uni yet. But you should, earlier you know your field the easier decisions will be later on.

Taking history over maths is a tough one, if you enjoy history more take it for your third A Level. Maths in my opinion is easier and gives a slight advantage in uni applications. Contact your desired university and ask them which one they would prefer.

Good luck!

thanks! i’ve done a week of work experience in a hospital already and i couldn’t go into theatres but even then i loved it! i’ll defo try to get some gp and surgical work experience maybe next summer. i want to go into paediatrics/cardiology but i’ve heard you can’t do work experience in a kids hospital until you’re eighteen?
Reply 14
Original post by Dakotaz

Good luck!

No med school except Cambridge care what the 3rd A level is in, and maths will confer no advantage over history, so @ka1233 should do the 3rd A level they are most likely to get and A/A* in unless wanting to apply for Cambridge.
4 A levels is only an advantage at 2 med schools (Barts and manchester via holistic route) but will lower the offer slightly at 2 more (lancaster and QUB), but an EPQ will also do this for Lancaster, plus HYMS, Sheffield and Keele
Reply 15
Original post by GANFYD
No med school except Cambridge care what the 3rd A level is in, and maths will confer no advantage over history, so @ka1233 should do the 3rd A level they are most likely to get and A/A* in unless wanting to apply for Cambridge.
4 A levels is only an advantage at 2 med schools (Barts and manchester via holistic route) but will lower the offer slightly at 2 more (lancaster and QUB), but an EPQ will also do this for Lancaster, plus HYMS, Sheffield and Keele

thank you! i’m not sure which would be easier to get an A/A* in but i’ll probably start off with both and drop one after a term to see what the content is like
Original post by GANFYD

You're right, but maths in general is a better A Level overall. It also opens the most doors for him if he may decide to take another route. People's choices always change during sixth form, better to take the most flexible subjects in my opinion.
Reply 17
Original post by Dakotaz
You're right, but maths in general is a better A Level overall. It also opens the most doors for him if he may decide to take another route. People's choices always change during sixth form, better to take the most flexible subjects in my opinion.

Except AAB in Chem, bio, maths will open far fewer doors than AAA chem, bio, history 😊
Although I answered for medicine, as that was the question asked, I would have thought there are as many career pathways out there that will be ok with history, as there are that will be ok with maths?
Original post by GANFYD
Except AAB in Chem, bio, maths will open far fewer doors than AAA chem, bio, history 😊
Although I answered for medicine, as that was the question asked, I would have thought there are as many career pathways out there that will be ok with history, as there are that will be ok with maths?

I understand the OP wants to do medicine, however if later down the line he wants to change career for whatever reason its best to be prepared with maths on your plate. Economics, finance, mathematics, computing, statistics, management at top unis all want maths.

If OP is strongly set on medicine go for history 100%, but knowing what I know now after finishing sixth form I would take maths as more doors are open and my choice for degrees increases especially at top unis.

And usually the top two careers paths are finance and medicine based.
Reply 19
Original post by Dakotaz
I understand the OP wants to do medicine, however if later down the line he wants to change career for whatever reason its best to be prepared with maths on your plate. Economics, finance, mathematics, computing, statistics, management at top unis all want maths.

If OP is strongly set on medicine go for history 100%, but knowing what I know now after finishing sixth form I would take maths as more doors are open and my choice for degrees increases especially at top unis.

And usually the top two careers paths are finance and medicine based.

*she and thank you but i’m very much 100% set on medicine and if i don’t do medicine or any other pathway into medicine for whatever reason then i’d probably see what i could do in history instead like what @GANFYD was saying about career pathways in history, so i’m pretty sure i’m not going to go into finance since it doesn’t interest me at all but i’ll keep that all in mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending