The Student Room Group

regretting placement year

I am a couple months into my placement year after finishing my second year of uni and I am really regretting my choice. I was initially choosing between doing a year abroad or doing an internship but I got scared about job prospects and thought it would be best for my career to go for a year in industry.

Now I cannot express how badly I regret this decision. I hate my placement so much it has made me change my mind about going into this field completely. I am also working from home so I feel extremely isolated and depressed. I have to work long hours and I don't even leave the house much. All my friend are either back at uni or also on placement but living with other interns so I feel so lonely.

I am struggling to see how I can cope with doing this placement for the whole year all alone. Does anyone have any advice for me please? Thank you x
Have you talked to your tutor and/or supervisor about this?
Reply 2
Original post by jenerous
Have you talked to your tutor and/or supervisor about this?

yes I did speak to my HR about how isolated I was feeling but not much can be done. Its just not the internship experience I signed up for. I struggle to cope when I look at my peers also on placement and getting a well balanced work and social life as they are going into office and living with interns etc. I am grateful to get this far and experience a full time job, however I struggle to see how my placement will even help me as it has just put me off going into the field.
Original post by Pt162016
yes I did speak to my HR about how isolated I was feeling but not much can be done. Its just not the internship experience I signed up for. I struggle to cope when I look at my peers also on placement and getting a well balanced work and social life as they are going into office and living with interns etc. I am grateful to get this far and experience a full time job, however I struggle to see how my placement will even help me as it has just put me off going into the field.

The good thing is that you now know you *don't* want to go into this field. If you didn't take the placement year, you would have taken a full-time permanent contract for this similar role when you graduate, probably. At least you only have a year's commitment at the moment and there is a defined end date.

I'm not sure what placement you are doing, but it will definitely help. A solid year's worth of work experience before graduating will give you lots of transferable skills and scenarios to talk about at interviews next time round.

Can you not request for a change of placement?
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
The good thing is that you now know you *don't* want to go into this field. If you didn't take the placement year, you would have taken a full-time permanent contract for this similar role when you graduate, probably. At least you only have a year's commitment at the moment and there is a defined end date.

I'm not sure what placement you are doing, but it will definitely help. A solid year's worth of work experience before graduating will give you lots of transferable skills and scenarios to talk about at interviews next time round.

that is true. I do think about how much hard work and time was spent applying and doing interviews so that will help in the future. I just can't stop thinking about how much happier I would have been if I hadn't gone down the placement route. I feel like I missed out on the opportunity of studying abroad as it is something I can never do again. Thank you for your view! I agree in that I could have been stuck in this position after graduating so good to know now! thanks
I am a couple months into my placement year after finishing my second year of uni and I am really regretting my choice. I was initially choosing between doing a year abroad or doing an internship but I got scared about job prospects and thought it would be best for my career to go for a year in industry.

Now I cannot express how badly I regret this decision. I hate my placement so much it has made me change my mind about going into this field completely. I am also working from home so I feel extremely isolated and depressed. I have to work long hours and I don't even leave the house much. All my friend are either back at uni or also on placement but living with other interns so I feel so lonely.

I am struggling to see how I can cope with doing this placement for the whole year all alone. Does anyone have any advice for me please? Thank you x

Idk which career field or company you have a placement with, but if it's a reputable company and not a completely unknown one then I think it'll end up being worth it. :smile:
You could put in your CV that you had a placement year at x company and you found that the field wasn't for you, but that you gained many useful transferable skills (and state what these are).
Your situation rn isn't ideal but the placement will be worth it for graduate prospects. :h:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending