The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School A100 2022 Entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for Hull York Medical School A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about HYMS.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the HYMS A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

HYMS A100 2021 thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560668

For general information click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/appl...y-requirements

HYMS A100 / A101 2022 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7171015

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello as far as I’m aware HYMS use 30% GCSE, 40% UCAT, 15% SJT band and 15% contextual to decide who to invite to interview I’ve read on a foi act that last for 2018 and 2019 the cutoffs were 54 and 55 respectively. I am assuming each decile gives you four points and band give 5 points. People in the 2021 discussion said they rank your top 8 GCSES however now I think it is 6 is anyone aware on how GCSES are scored maybe 5 points for an 8/9 and 4 for a 7? And also which GCSEs will be included in the 6 that HYMS allocate points to.
Reply 2
does anyone know how they score scottish applications?
Does anyone know if they score international applications based on the same criteria?
Its so annoying, why are they so vague. :mad: They dont reply to e-mails either.
I want to apply because it suits my UCAT score but if I get placed at Hull it will be a waste of an application because I won't take the offer because of this
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_campuses#incoming-1775247
I don't know whether to risk it :s-smilie:
(edited 2 years ago)
Predicted A Levels AAA (Bio/Chem/Maths)
GCSEs 99998888
UCAT 2530 SJT= Band 1
Do you think I have a good chance to be offered for interview?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey,
My GCSE's are all grade 9's
UCAT is 2680 and band 2
I'm assuming that my score is in the 7th decile, using last year's stats.
I calculated my score to be 3.75*6 + 7*4 + 5*2 = 60.6
I'm not sure if the assumed points here are correct though.

What do you think my chances are of securing an interview?

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 8
Hi,

I have done my UCAT and it wasn't the best. I got 2510 with band 2 SJT
If HYMS are using top 6 GCSEs then I have 988766
I also do get the 15 contextual points as I am first generation and have got the UCAT bursary

Would you say I have a good chance at an interview?
Many thanks
Original post by Hema1
Hey,
My GCSE's are all grade 9's
UCAT is 2680 and band 2
I'm assuming that my score is in the 7th decile, using last year's stats.
I calculated my score to be 3.75*6 + 7*4 + 5*2 = 60.6
I'm not sure if the assumed points here are correct though.

What do you think my chances are of securing an interview?

Thank you so much :smile:

hey i was just wondering how you calculated your points because i can’t find anything on their website
Reply 10
Any graduates applying for a100 HYMS (2022 intake) here?
Original post by Cheahr
Any graduates applying for a100 HYMS (2022 intake) here?

I’m considering it ! However not sure how I feel about not knowing which campus I’d be allocated to

Are you considering it ?
Reply 12
Original post by ashleighs1996x
I’m considering it ! However not sure how I feel about not knowing which campus I’d be allocated to

Are you considering it ?

Yes, my fav is HYMS.
I thought the assigned campus is based on your (1) address postcode, and (2) choice? How are they going to assign this actually? I live in Hull and therefore I presume I will be assigned to Hull campus if I am successful post interview.

Have you completed your undergraduate ?
Reply 13
Original post by Cheahr
Yes, my fav is HYMS.
I thought the assigned campus is based on your (1) address postcode, and (2) choice? How are they going to assign this actually? I live in Hull and therefore I presume I will be assigned to Hull campus if I am successful post interview.

Have you completed your undergraduate ?

For most people, it is not a choice but a random allocation. There are exceptions
https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/student-life/campus-allocation
Reply 14
Hi, thanks for being helpful to students like us @GANFYD

I am an international students, will still be age 17 (Sep 2022) and considering HYMS as a shortlist. Would value your views

1. iGCSE: Advanced Mathematics - A*, Extended Mathematics - A*, Chemistry - A*, Biology - A*, Physics - A*, Computer Science - A*, French - A, Eng Literature - A and Eng Language - B
2. IB Predicted: Chemistry HL - 7, Biology HL-7, Mathematics AA HL -7, Economics SL -7, English SL - 6, French - 5
3. UCAT: 2600, SJT: Band 2

Is this university a good shortlist and the chances of getting an interview call?
(edited 2 years ago)
Website says January/February
Wondering if I can get an interview with these scores:

GCSEs:
7 9's
2 7's

Predicted : 3A*

UCAT: 2500 Band 2

pls let me know
Original post by OmarHam3d
Wondering if I can get an interview with these scores:

GCSEs:
7 9's
2 7's

Predicted : 3A*

UCAT: 2500 Band 2

pls let me know

I worry that your good GCSEs may not compensate for your B2 and less strong UCAT, unless you have significant contextual...? You would also be disadvantaged post interview as SJT is combined with interview score.
Original post by becausethenight
I worry that your good GCSEs may not compensate for your B2 and less strong UCAT, unless you have significant contextual...? You would also be disadvantaged post interview as SJT is combined with interview score.

I suppose it wouldn't be the safest of my options. Could you please tell me where else I should look at. thanks
Original post by OmarHam3d
I suppose it wouldn't be the safest of my options. Could you please tell me where else I should look at. thanks

I’ve know someone with similar stats to yours, have a look at: Plymouth, Exeter(if you meet the contextual criteria), KSMS and ARU maybe. Keele, Sunderland if you have enough experience for the roles and responsibilities form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending