The Student Room Group

UK masters Confusion

So I looked around and found that a master is defo 180 credits = 1800 hours of study ://

BUT I also found somewhere online that you can apparently if you've taken an undergraduate degree get 30 credits to go into your masters. With a maximum of 30 credits from level 6 and minimum of 150 credits from level 7. My specific university website does not say anything about this or atleast i cant find it anymore because I'm sure I saw it somewhere haha!

Can anyone clarify on this please as I am not prepared to do 4 modules in semester 1, 5 modules in semester 2 and 1 dissertation the whole year round...

I didn't think I'd have to work 6 hours per day 7 days per week !!!:[
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by NoahMal
So I looked around and found that a master is defo 180 credits = 1800 hours of study ://

BUT I also found somewhere online that you can apparently if you've taken an undergraduate degree get 30 credits to go into your masters. With a maximum of 30 credits from level 6 and minimum of 150 credits from level 7. My specific university website does not say anything about this or atleast i cant find it anymore because I'm sure I saw it somewhere haha!

Can anyone clarify on this please as I am not prepared to do 4 modules in semester 1, 5 modules in semester 2 and 1 dissertation the whole year round...

I didn't think I'd have to work 6 hours per day 7 days per week !!!:[

I've never heard of getting credits from an undergraduate degree counting towards a postgraduate one. What would be the rationale?

I'm also confused about your assessment of the workload. A postgraduate degree usually lasts for about 11 months and should be approached pretty much as a full-time job.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
I've never heard of getting credits from an undergraduate degree counting towards a postgraduate one. What would be the rationale?

I'm also confused about your assessment of the workload. A postgraduate degree usually lasts for about 11 months and should be approached pretty much as a full-time job.

30 credits from level 6 = 2 modules
and 150 credits from level 7 = 7 modules at 15 credits and a dissertation.

I don't see how It is possible to study for 10 hours every day if you chill on the weekends ;(
Original post by NoahMal
30 credits from level 6 = 2 modules
and 150 credits from level 7 = 7 modules at 15 credits and a dissertation.

I don't see how It is possible to study for 10 hours every day if you chill on the weekends ;(

I've no idea what point you're making in your first paragraph.

So now you've gone from studying 42 hours a week to 50??? 😕
For most masters it’s 5-8 hours a weekday for full time study, and depending on your speed and time management. Some people only put it 3 full days a week if they’re super efficient and have a part time job alongside it. Some spend 7 days a week because they are slower.

Don’t equate number of credits to set hours, the modules would specify expected weekly hours on it and even so it doesn’t determine how much ppl actually spend.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
I've no idea what point you're making in your first paragraph.

So now you've gone from studying 42 hours a week to 50??? 😕

The maths doesn't matter but this information here does :
From UCL website
Taught Masters Degree

A Taught Masters is a Level 7 Qualification distinguished from the PG Cert and PG Dip by an increased intensity and complexity of study, a planned intellectual progression, and an in-depth research or scholarly activity of at least 30 credits in the form of a Dissertation or other Substantive Project.
Programmes must include at least 180 credits, with a maximum of 30 credits at Level 6 and a minimum of 150 credits at Level 7 (although PSRB requirements may result in a longer Programme of Study). The Qualification typically takes 1800 hours, or one FTE Calendar Year, to complete.

So according to this I will get the 30 credits but confused like bare bare bare bare work that i'm not down for
Reply 6
Original post by xxx0xxxo
For most masters it’s 5-8 hours a weekday for full time study, and depending on your speed and time management. Some people only put it 3 full days a week if they’re super efficient and have a part time job alongside it. Some spend 7 days a week because they are slower.

Don’t equate number of credits to set hours, the modules would specify expected weekly hours on it and even so it doesn’t determine how much ppl actually spend.

I'm going to be doing mainly maths based modules so i'm expecting to be on the higher side of the spectrum ;P
180 credits is standard. Some unis do allow students to take a certain number of credits from modules which are primarily for final year bachelor students.

Normally it’s still 60 credits per semester & 3 semesters rather then 2. Most masters courses do not require anywhere near 70 hours a week, ive never seen this happen, normally its a similar weekly workload to final year of undergrad with more advanced content.
Mine suggests 60-90 credits for first 2 semesters with 30 max semester 3 (which is 5 weeks long and where you do your dissertation if you choose one)

I will be doing around 6 days a week study and 1 day work at job. The 6 days won’t be 9-6 as will be broken up by travel to campus/ laziness etc). And it’s only for 10 weeks (plus reading week) then Xmas break and essays due. So much more condensed than university year long modules.
Original post by NoahMal
The maths doesn't matter but this information here does :
From UCL website
Taught Masters Degree

A Taught Masters is a Level 7 Qualification distinguished from the PG Cert and PG Dip by an increased intensity and complexity of study, a planned intellectual progression, and an in-depth research or scholarly activity of at least 30 credits in the form of a Dissertation or other Substantive Project.
Programmes must include at least 180 credits, with a maximum of 30 credits at Level 6 and a minimum of 150 credits at Level 7 (although PSRB requirements may result in a longer Programme of Study). The Qualification typically takes 1800 hours, or one FTE Calendar Year, to complete.

So according to this I will get the 30 credits but confused like bare bare bare bare work that i'm not down for

No it doesn't. It means that you can take 1-2 Level 6 modules as part of your generally Level 7 degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending