The Student Room Group

why do inverse functions only exist for one to one functions

like y=x^2 is a many to one function, but it has an inverse as it can be reflected in the line y=x?
Reply 1
Original post by rxrx2004
like y=x^2 is a many to one function, but it has an inverse as it can be reflected in the line y=x?

At a very simple level you want the property
[br]f1(f(x))=x[br][br]f^{-1}(f(x)) = x[br]
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2

Part of the definition of a function is that it has to be well-defined, in the sense that if you are given a value to plug in, you get one value out. In your example (but using functional notation), if f(x) = x2, then, for example, f(1) = 1 and f(-1) = 1. But what would be f-1(1)?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
At a very simple level you want the property
[br]f1(f(x))=x[br][br]f^{-1}(f(x)) = x[br]

but why

Original post by Pangol
Part of the definition of a function is that it has to be well-defined, in the sense that if you are given a value to plug in, you get one value out. In your example (but using functional notation), if f(x) = x2, then, for example, f(1) = 1 and f(-1) = 1. But what would be f-1(1)?

1 or -1
Reply 4
but why

https://learn.lboro.ac.uk/archive/olmp/olmp_resources/pages/workbooks_1_50_jan2008/Workbook2/2_3_one_2_one_n_inverse_functions.pdf
Is a pretty good overview. A function (forwards or inverse, they're both functions) should evaluate to a single value. The inverse function is defined as per the previous post.

This is why
sqrt(2^2) = 2
i.e. its defined to be the positive root (single valued).
1 or -1

Functions only have a single output.

You cannot say that f1(1)=±1f^{-1}(1) = \pm 1 because that’s two outputs so f1f^{-1} is not an inverse function
Reply 6

1 or -1

Well that's the problem. If f-1 were a function, you would be able to tell me the one value of f-1(1). But there isn't a single value, so it is not a function.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
https://learn.lboro.ac.uk/archive/olmp/olmp_resources/pages/workbooks_1_50_jan2008/Workbook2/2_3_one_2_one_n_inverse_functions.pdf
Is a pretty good overview. A function (forwards or inverse, they're both functions) should evaluate to a single value. The inverse function is defined as per the previous post.

This is why
sqrt(2^2) = 2
i.e. its defined to be the positive root (single valued).

ok thanks :smile:

Original post by RDKGames
Functions only have a single output.

You cannot say that f1(1)=±1f^{-1}(1) = \pm 1 because that’s two outputs so f1f^{-1} is not an inverse function

thanks

Original post by Pangol
Well that's the problem. If f-1 were a function, you would be able to tell me the one value of f-1(1). But there isn't a single value, so it is not a function.

thanks
Reply 8

wait so y=x^2 isnt a function then?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9

Yes it is, it evaluates to a single value.
its inverse however is only defined on the functions domain x>=0
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10

You don't run into the problem with f(x) = x2. For any value of x, there is only one value of x2.
Reply 11
Original post by Pangol
You don't run into the problem with f(x) = x2. For any value of x, there is only one value of x2.

Original post by mqb2766
Yes it is, it evaluates to a single value.
its inverse however is only defined on the functions domain x>=0

oh ok.
so y=root x isnt a function..i think i get it now
oh ok.

It is a function, as its single valued. It returns positive values (and 0).
Reply 13
oh ok.

Well it is, because the definition of square root is to take the positive root. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, it's just the case that the square of negative 3 is also 9.
Reply 14
Original post by Pangol
Well it is, because the definition of square root is to take the positive root. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, it's just the case that the square of negative 3 is also 9.

but-but i always thought that you add a plus-minus sign at the front of a square root

Original post by mqb2766
It is a function, as its single valued. It returns positive values (and 0).

but if you reflect the graph of y=x^2 in the line y=x you'd get a graph for which it returns two values? :frown:
but-but i always thought that you add a plus-minus sign at the front of a square root

but if you reflect the graph of y=x^2 in the line y=x you'd get a graph for which it returns two values? :frown:

The +/- reflects the fact that sqrt() returns a positive value.
You have to multiply it by -1 to get the corresponding negative root as it is defined to return the (single valued) positive value.

If it returned both values (it doesn't) there would be no need to write the +/-.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest