The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Second year referral fail

If you fail one module in second year abs have to repeat it…would you have to retake all other modules passed as well?
Original post by Edk17
If you fail one module in second year abs have to repeat it…would you have to retake all other modules passed as well?

No. If you've passed a module, then you've passed the module - you cannot 'retake' it. You may find that you have to take the failed module, and only the failed module in the forthcoming academic year to allow progression onto your final year. You need to check the course regs with your programme leader or tutor.
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
No. If you've passed a module, then you've passed the module - you cannot 'retake' it. You may find that you have to take the failed module, and only the failed module in the forthcoming academic year to allow progression onto your final year. You need to check the course regs with your programme leader or tutor

So under no circumstances will you have to take any modules you haven’t failed if you have to repeat? And also it says repeat module with attendance what does that mean please?
Reply 3
Original post by Edk17
So under no circumstances will you have to take any modules you haven’t failed if you have to repeat? And also it says repeat module with attendance what does that mean please?

"With attendance" means that you're expected to attend the lectures/seminars/workshops, etc for that module.

If it had been "without attendance" it would mean that you wouldn't attend the lectures/seminars/workshops, etc.

You should also check what the fee liability would be. I would assume (unless told otherwise) that you'll need to pay tuition fees on a pro-rata basis.
Original post by Edk17

No - were you to be allowed to take a module which you had already passed, this would be having a second bite of the cherry, and actually could put you at an advantage. You never retake passed modules.

'Repeat module with attendance' usually means that you have to go to all the lectures, and complete any seminars and practical classes as if you were taking it for the first time. In other words, you can't just rock up to the examination and take it - you have to actually re-enrol on the module and do the whole thing properly.
Reply 5
Alright thank you I was just confused…because I was reading the hand book and it said something like retake the whole module in the following academic year including the new module assessments. What does it mean by including the new module assessments?
Original post by Edk17
Alright thank you I was just confused…because I was reading the hand book and it said something like retake the whole module in the following academic year including the new module assessments. What does it mean by including the new module assessments?

Meaning you do all the module assessments for the module as you would do if it were the first time you were sitting the module.
Original post by Edk17

Usually that means redoing any (and all) of the coursework, in addition to the examination. You can't 'carry forward' any of the coursework you did for the module the first time round.
Reply 8
Original post by GabiAbi84
Meaning you do all the module assessments for the module as you would do if it were the first time you were sitting the module.

Okay and it’s capped right?
Original post by Edk17
Okay and it’s capped right?

That will depend on your university rules.
Some cap resit modules, some do not.
I have a similar question. I also failed one module in second year and I was told I might be removed from the course! do u mind me asking. What uni are u in? and how many credits was your failed module worth please?
Original post by martin7
"With attendance" means that you're expected to attend the lectures/seminars/workshops, etc for that module.

If it had been "without attendance" it would mean that you wouldn't attend the lectures/seminars/workshops, etc.

You should also check what the fee liability would be. I would assume (unless told otherwise) that you'll need to pay tuition fees on a pro-rata basis.

I know this is a year old but do they actually check attendance? If you pass everything at a high mark too not just above pass would they actually still check attendance?

Quick Reply