The Student Room Group

Scared to get second vaccine

I got my first covid vaccine about 2 months ago. Everything was fine until 3 weeks ago when i was really ill for about a week. I ended up suddenly being unable to breathe and having to go to hospital with really severe chest pains. I was in hospital for 3 days and got diagnosed with myopericarditis. I was told by the doctor i should still go and get my second vaccine (which i was supposed to get on the day i went to hospital btw) bc "covids worse than vaccine side effects". Ive been doing some googling and it says that mpcitis can be caused by the vaccine. I know it was fairly long between me getting my vaccine and going to hospital but still i have no idea how else this couldve happened im healthy and my hearts perfect. Im worried about getting my second vaccine tho because im scared something like this will happen again but it will be worse and i wont be as lucky as i was (not that i got off scot free). Im literally the furthest thing from an antivaxxer normally but this has really scared me. Do i just go and get it?
It is your decision. Good luck
What made you take the 1st dose of the vaccine? Did you assess the risk of Covid to yourself and your personal circumstances or did you just feel pressured to get vaxxed?
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
What made you take the 1st dose of the vaccine? Did you assess the risk of Covid to yourself and your personal circumstances or did you just feel pressured to get vaxxed?

I got it cuz i could i guess
Original post by zurgextoitzke
I have no idea how else this couldve happened im healthy and my hearts perfect.

Sometimes weird things happen to our body. I was suddenly admitted to hospital in February after going years without needing a GP or medical appointment. I was in a diabetic coma, and I didn't know I was diabetic. Sometimes we have conditions that we don't know about and the stuff in a virus or a vaccine is just a way of setting that off.

It sounds to me as though your episode in hospital has made you a little more clinically vulnerable. So my advice to you is to get the second dose just to protect yourself.

The caveat being that I am not a medical professional.
Original post by zurgextoitzke
I got my first covid vaccine about 2 months ago. Everything was fine until 3 weeks ago when i was really ill for about a week. I ended up suddenly being unable to breathe and having to go to hospital with really severe chest pains. I was in hospital for 3 days and got diagnosed with myopericarditis. I was told by the doctor i should still go and get my second vaccine (which i was supposed to get on the day i went to hospital btw) bc "covids worse than vaccine side effects". Ive been doing some googling and it says that mpcitis can be caused by the vaccine. I know it was fairly long between me getting my vaccine and going to hospital but still i have no idea how else this couldve happened im healthy and my hearts perfect. Im worried about getting my second vaccine tho because im scared something like this will happen again but it will be worse and i wont be as lucky as i was (not that i got off scot free). Im literally the furthest thing from an antivaxxer normally but this has really scared me. Do i just go and get it?

I would discuss this with a doctor. If you were hospitalised due to the first jab I would imagine you’d have a similar reaction to the second one which wouldn’t make having the second jab worth it. I would talk to a healthcare professional first though.

Quick Reply

Latest