what does inherent and intrinsic mean?

Watch this thread
m2004
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I need it for A Level Ethics but no definitions are making much sense.
Last edited by m2004; 8 months ago
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Inherent or intrinsic refers to a property being an essential defining characteristic of a thing. Give the specific example of the sentence if you want?
m2004
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
like inherently right or saying that something is intrinsic
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by m2004)
like inherently right or saying that something is intrinsic
If an ethical theory claims that actions can be inherently right, then it would be a the deontological type of theory which claims that the goodness of an action is inherent to the type of action it is.

Whereas a consequentialist ethical theory does not regard goodness/rightness as inherent to an action because such theories claim that it is the consequences of an action which make it good or bad, not the type of action.

For example, a deontologist would say 'lying is inherently wrong'. Whereas a consequentialist would say 'lying is not inherently/intrinsically wrong, it is only when it leads to bad consequences that it is wrong. If it leads to good consequences then the lying was good.'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (59)
66.29%
No (23)
25.84%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.87%

Watched Threads