The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University 2022 Applicant Thread

Hi everyone, welcome to the Lancaster University 2022 Applicant thread.

uni 10.jpg

To start this off:

What course are you applying for?:
What subjects are you currently studying?:
Predicted A level grades:
GCSE grades:
What other universities are you applying to?:
Why Lancaster?:
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?:

My eldest is studying at Lancaster uni, and is in second year in September; (she did the covid freshers year). I'm a huge Lancaster uni fan, and will try to help as much as I can if you have any questions, or at least try and point you in the right direction. Or one of the lovely Lancaster reps are amazing on TSR and will help as well :smile:

And congratulations on applying here, it's such a great uni.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Hi everyone, welcome to the Lancaster University 2022 Applicant thread.

uni 10.jpg

To start this off:

What course are you applying for?:
What subjects are you currently studying?:
Predicted A level grades:
GCSE grades:
What other universities are you applying to?:
Why Lancaster?:
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?:

My eldest is studying at Lancaster uni, and is in second year in September; (she did the covid freshers year). I'm a huge Lancaster uni fan, and will try to help as much as I can if you have any questions, or at least try and point you in the right direction. Or one of the lovely Lancaster reps are amazing on TSR and will help as well :smile:

And congratulations on applying here, it's such a great uni.

Hey, I'm looking to apply to lancaster to start in 2022 and I plan on studying a Modern Languages degree.
I currently do Spanish, French and business studies A-level and I think my predicted grades are ABA or AAA
I'm also going to apply to Birmingham, Newcastle and Southampton.
I did some research into courses and the unis I'm applying to all tick the boxes for the sort of course format I want as I'm planning on taking chinese from scratch along with french and spanish. So that is why I like lancaster and its definitely near the top of my list!

In terms of extra curriculars I've done my silver Dofe, I'm currently doing an EPQ, I did some begginers chinese through my school, I'm learning BSL outside of school, I have part time jobs and in previous years I have participated in exchanges. I also used to play netball and badminton at school but it got stopped due to covid hopefully I can play again in year 13!

Em x
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by emily5411
Hey, I'm looking to apply to lancaster to start in 2022 and I plan on studying a Modern Languages degree.
I currently do Spanish, French and business studies A-level and I think my predicted grades are ABA or AAA
I'm also going to apply to Birmingham, Newcastle and Southampton.
I did some research into courses and the unis I'm applying to all tick the boxes for the sort of course format I want as I'm planning on taking chinese from scratch along with french and spanish. So that is why I like lancaster and its definitely near the top of my list!

In terms of extra curriculars I've done my silver Dofe, I'm currently doing an EPQ, I did some begginers chinese through my school, I'm learning BSL outside of school, I have part time jobs and in previous years I have participated in exchanges. I also used to play netball and badminton at school but it got stopped due to covid hopefully I can play again in year 13!

Em x

Nicely done Em. I remember my daughter saying that her flat mate takes modern languages in French and Spanish and plans to have the 3rd year abroad which sounds amazing. Sounds like you got good extra curriculars there too. Wishing you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
Lancaster uni uncovered thread is here, which has some info on the uni and the city. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6904136

Open Days:bl:
And in person open days are back :smile: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/open-days/undergraduate-open-days/
18th of September and 16th of October.
Few tips on open days if anyone decides to go.
Parking
Parking is free. If you can try and start at either Pendle or County college. County college this is where the north spine starts. Pendle College is where the south spine starts. We parked at the info lab (the blue and orange modern building) and walked from Pendle college up to County College (south to north, passing through Alexandra square in the middle). Then at the end of the day, check out Lonsdale/Cartmel on south west campus.

Places to eat on open day? We tried Fylde College bar which did some good burgers which looks like they also do a vegan selection https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/lancaster-university/content-assets/documents/facilities/eat/menus/NewMillMenuSept19(002)(2).pdf
Another hit is Sultans. Very friendly, and they often give a free water away as well :smile:
Other venues are on this map:
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/lancaster-university/content-assets/documents/facilities/eat/CampusLifeMap.pdf

Department tours are worth doing and also the subject talks, as well as seeing the library and accommodation on offer.

Accommodation
Accommodation we saw was the Pendle Standard room and the County Townhouse. Pendle standard is pretty decent and compared to other unis, was pretty good, and not bad in price (also has the best laundry!). Townhouses have a longer contract and daughter stayed in a Grizedale townhouse, so if anyone wants to know about a townhouse such as the layout, what its like to live there, let me know and ill try and help. Other accommodation that was on offer to view was superior ensuite (didn't get to see that one). They might change it up and have different accommodation this time, so bear that in mind.

City sightseeing
If you want to see the city, I recommend parking wise at a pay and display car park called 'auction mart'. It starts at one end of town. If your staying at the Travelodge in the city, then I recommend you park at this carpark, because the one outside the Travelodge is small and always full. Premier inn at the north of Lancaster heading to and area called 'Bulk' has parking on site.
If you start at auction mart, then make your way to Penny street. This street then becomes pedestrianised and turns into a street called Cheapside. Its worth walking down here to see the shops and little cafes. Marketgate shopping centre and St nics shopping centre is nice to look round. Then when you get to Bella italia, take a left onto church street. Here are many bars such at the study room, the cornerhouse and the crafty scholar are popular student places. If you cant park at Auction mart, then marketgate shopping centre has a car park on the top of the building.
Recommend eating at a place called the water witch on the canal front which faces the chancellors wharf accommodation (where 2nd years plus go). The food is superb.
@Lancaster University
@Lancaster Student Ambassador

What course are you applying for?: Natural Sciences

What subjects are you currently studying?: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths

Predicted A level grades: No idea yet :no:

GCSE grades:
Maths, Triple Science and Religious Studies: 9
English lit&lang, Geography : 8
French: 5

What other universities are you applying to?: There are few other unis I'm considering but my favs are Lancaster and Nottingham. Not sure how to pick between them. :s-smilie: I'm going to Notts open day as I've been given free travel and food due to going to their summer school. I'm worried about travel costs going to Lancaster but hopefully my school can help? :colondollar:

Why Lancaster?: I love the nat sci course here ! I would also love the move "up north" to as I've been a Londoner my whole life :tongue:

What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: extracurricular? well I volunteer at a museum which I really, really enjoy ! :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
(edited 2 years ago)
I was wondering if all of the Lancaster Campus is within walking distance of each other? :colondollar:
Reply 7

You are welcome :smile: I'm from Nottingham as well lol. Nottingham compared to Lancaster city is bigger in area, but both do have the same shops. The campus to Nottingham city is about 15 mins on the tram, and Lancaster campus to the city is about 15 mins on the bus. I can answer about lancaster campus, its all in walking distance from each other. If you google the map of campus, the walk from county college at the far end to lonsdale and cartmel at the other end is about 25-30 mins. If your doing natural sciences, I take it would be studying in the LEC building? Thats pretty central, so no matter what college your at, its not far. Re the library which is in Alex square, daughters flat was in Grizedale, so from there is about 7-10 mins walk.
Travel costs wise, st pancras to notts on train is not far.

If you want to do the open day at lancaster on the september 18th and travel by train, then London euston to lancaster 6.06am arrive at lancaster at 8.52am (no changes) then returning back on the sunday is around £105 from what trainline says (thats adult price) (there are later trains, and I imagine you can travel back same day too).
You would need to catch the number 4 bus from the station to lancaster uni) or walk a short distance to the bus station in the city and get the 1a or the 100 in)
You are welcome :smile: I'm from Nottingham as well lol. Nottingham compared to Lancaster city is bigger in area, but both do have the same shops. The campus to Nottingham city is about 15 mins on the tram, and Lancaster campus to the city is about 15 mins on the bus. I can answer about lancaster campus, its all in walking distance from each other. If you google the map of campus, the walk from county college at the far end to lonsdale and cartmel at the other end is about 25-30 mins. If your doing natural sciences, I take it would be studying in the LEC building? Thats pretty central, so no matter what college your at, its not far. Re the library which is in Alex square, daughters flat was in Grizedale, so from there is about 7-10 mins walk.
Travel costs wise, st pancras to notts on train is not far.

If you want to do the open day at lancaster on the september 18th and travel by train, then London euston to lancaster 6.06am arrive at lancaster at 8.52am (no changes) then returning back on the sunday is around £105 from what trainline says (thats adult price) (there are later trains, and I imagine you can travel back same day too).
You would need to catch the number 4 bus from the station to lancaster uni) or walk a short distance to the bus station in the city and get the 1a or the 100 in)

:smile:
oh wow thanks. that's very helpful
Im thinking of applying to Lancaster to do psychology, annoyingly though I can't attend any of the open days because its too far fora day trip in my circumstance unfortunately so im on here to figure out what its like :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Mxciej.j
Im thinking of applying to Lancaster to do psychology, annoyingly though I can't attend any of the open days because its too far fora day trip in my circumstance unfortunately so im on here to figure out what its like :smile:

Hi, i've collated some info on the uni and the city here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6904136
Its got some useful links on there. Such as a tour of the main campus on you tube done in June of 2020 (I put time stamps on there explaining what buildings are in that shot at that time)
Its also got some you tuber links on there as well. As well as maps of food eateries and shops etc.
My daughter is about to start 2nd year particle physics, and she loves Lancaster and this year is living in the city. :smile: If you like a campus uni which is about 15 mins on the bus from the city, and whose city is not too big, but has all you need still in terms of shops, copious amount of bars, and couple of clubs. Plus lots of places to walk and enjoy the canal/ woodland walk round campus/ lake carter/ The lakes/ morecambe/ williamson park, then Lancaster is a good place to go.
Also lancaster University you tube channel as a previous recorded open day talk so might be worth giving it a watch :smile:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zu9h3Y4NTM&t=1158s

Also think you might like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12XCqA7_TW0 its a 4k walkthrough in Lancaster city. Note* Cheapside and Penny street is the main walkthrough which runs in the middle of the city (see google maps). Then streets branch off from there with more shops.
Hi, i've collated some info on the uni and the city here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6904136
Its got some useful links on there. Such as a tour of the main campus on you tube done in June of 2020 (I put time stamps on there explaining what buildings are in that shot at that time)
Its also got some you tuber links on there as well. As well as maps of food eateries and shops etc.
My daughter is about to start 2nd year particle physics, and she loves Lancaster and this year is living in the city. :smile: If you like a campus uni which is about 15 mins on the bus from the city, and whose city is not too big, but has all you need still in terms of shops, copious amount of bars, and couple of clubs. Plus lots of places to walk and enjoy the canal/ woodland walk round campus/ lake carter/ The lakes/ morecambe/ williamson park, then Lancaster is a good place to go.
Also lancaster University you tube channel as a previous recorded open day talk so might be worth giving it a watch :smile:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zu9h3Y4NTM&t=1158s

Also think you might like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12XCqA7_TW0 its a 4k walkthrough in Lancaster city. Note* Cheapside and Penny street is the main walkthrough which runs in the middle of the city (see google maps). Then streets branch off from there with more shops.

Alright thanks so much ill be sure to have a look 😃
Reply 12
Anybody going to the open day on the 18th September?
We did Open Day in May half term with our son - he loved Lancaster and is definitely putting it on UCAS form
Original post by Tomblieboo13
We did Open Day in May half term with our son - he loved Lancaster and is definitely putting it on UCAS form

What's he looking to study?
Reply 15
What course are you applying for?: Med
What subjects are you currently studying?: Bio Chem Maths
Predicted A level grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 999999888
What other universities are you applying to?: not 100% but Plymouth, Birmingham, Leicester, St. Andrews
Why Lancaster?: loved it when i visited
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?:lots of clinical and voluntary wEx + reading around my subject
Original post by Fruity Girl
What's he looking to study?

He’s applying for history
Hello everyone,I need some help in finding out people who have private accommodation and want university accommodation. I would like to swap with anyone interested. Please do reply. I need help urgently. Pls!!
Reply 18
Original post by Physics genie
Hello everyone,I need some help in finding out people who have private accommodation and want university accommodation. I would like to swap with anyone interested. Please do reply. I need help urgently. Pls!!

Hi
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6953244 offer holders thread 2021
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6682096 applicant thread for 2021
I would also suggest if you can have a word with the college accommodation manager. They might have someone who has a private but wants uni accommodation and has contacted them.
Facebook also has the official college pages so the admins there might be able to put the post up for you.

Hope you can get it sorted. If not, its ok; the accommodation is pretty decent at Lancaster and whether your sharing, ensuite, studio, or townhouse, I'm sure you will make lots of friends and enjoy your time on campus :smile:
Anybody going to the open day on the 18th September?

I went it was really good x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending