The Student Room Group

Why do many right wing British men seem to have foreign wives?

It seems a paradox.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some people can separate their political views or i guess more hypothetical views from their everyday life. I watched an interview with a youtuber and an etho-nationalist where the ethno-nationalist had a mixedrace girlfriend. Plus not all right- winged people are racist... i guess you have to be more specific in what right-winged means. However most right-winged EDL types deffo have english+ white wives from what i was pretty sure anyway.
It depends on how one defines "right wing". What people today tend to define what is "right wing" might not be true for the eighteenth century AD.

Today, most people will tend to identify any supporter of the free market for instance as a right-winger, but people from the eighteenth century AD would've classified the same person as a left-winger.

Thus, political labels today are now merely references to certain sets of propositions. For example, one is now conservative in the sense of keeping old customs while technically being liberal in the sense of supporting the freedom of the market.
Original post by BitMel
Some people can separate their political views or i guess more hypothetical views from their everyday life. I watched an interview with a youtuber and an etho-nationalist where the ethno-nationalist had a mixedrace girlfriend. Plus not all right- winged people are racist... i guess you have to be more specific in what right-winged means. However most right-winged EDL types deffo have english+ white wives from what i was pretty sure anyway.

Also, old political labels no longer fit the current views that we see now, even though we still use them.
Reply 4
Original post by SlaveofAll
Also, old political labels no longer fit the current views that we see now, even though we still use them.

Right wing is confusing to me because it can mean multiple things, esp when people have more of an american concept on it, but thats probs just my lack of knowledge in a British setting haha.
Reply 5
'Right-wing' and 'submission' tend to go hand-in-hand with each other. So naturally they will have more of a preference for a foreign wife.
Original post by Fruli
It seems a paradox.

I don't think romantic or sexual attraction would be dependent on one’s political beliefs. We should move away from the ancient way of thinking that one marrying outside of their race, religion or culture should be classed as sell outs.
Original post by BitMel
Right wing is confusing to me because it can mean multiple things, esp when people have more of an american concept on it, but thats probs just my lack of knowledge in a British setting haha.

To give you some background on the label, the right wing used to mean the people that supported not only old customs and religion, but also governmental regulation of private sector.

As for the Stateside concept, the liberal invention of supporting the freedom of the market passed on to people with otherwise conservative propositions, given the shift of those with otherwise progressive propositions to governmental regulation.
Reply 8
To give you some background on the label, the right wing used to mean the people that supported not only old customs and religion, but also governmental regulation of private sector.

As for the Stateside concept, the liberal invention of supporting the freedom of the market passed on to people with otherwise conservative propositions, given the shift of those with otherwise progressive propositions to governmental regulation.

I dont understand half of that, haha. Thank though :smile:
Original post by BitMel
I dont understand half of that, haha. Thank though :smile:

The first paragraph refers to the situation during the Age of Enlightenment, while the second one refers to what has been happening since the end of the 19th century.
Reply 10
The first paragraph refers to the situation during the Age of Enlightenment, while the second one refers to what has been happening since the end of the 19th century.

I think my confusion is more do to with my lack of knowledge about the free market etc.
Reply 11
Original post by Wired_1800
I don't think romantic or sexual attraction would be dependent on one’s political beliefs. We should move away from the ancient way of thinking that one marrying outside of their race, religion or culture should be classed as sell outs.

My values are conservative and naturally I’m more attracted to conservative men, but I am foreign. I struggle to date guys with left wing views.
Original post by BitMel
I think my confusion is more do to with my lack of knowledge about the free market etc.

The freedom of the market is the invention of the left wing (in the original sense of being a group that supports freedom in all spheres of life, in contrast to using the government to bring about progressive goals).
Original post by Fruli
My values are conservative and naturally I’m more attracted to conservative men, but I am foreign. I struggle to date guys with left wing views.

Can you define what is "conservative" to you?
Reply 14
The freedom of the market is the invention of the left wing (in the original sense of being a group that supports freedom in all spheres of life, in contrast to using the government to bring about progressive goals).

Give me an example of the something which a government would use to bring about progressive goals?
Original post by BitMel
Give me an example of the something which a government would use to bring about progressive goals?

"Affirmative action", by which a government intends to bring more people from marginal groups to the mainstream by setting up quotas for how many of them will go to schools, offices, and other institutions.
Reply 16
"Affirmative action", by which a government intends to bring more people from marginal groups to the mainstream by setting up quotas for how many of them will go to schools, offices, and other institutions.

So another example would be the benefits system and basically 'nanny state'? Okay thank you.
Original post by BitMel
So another example would be the benefits system and basically 'nanny state'? Okay thank you.

That's correct, and they use a right-wing means (governmental regulation) to achieve left-wing goals (equality of outcome, fairness, and so on).

By the way, you seem to be aware of the contemporary Stateside conception of the right wing, but the British one. Why is that so?
Reply 18
That's correct, and they use a right-wing means (governmental regulation) to achieve left-wing goals (equality of outcome, fairness, and so on).

By the way, you seem to be aware of the contemporary Stateside conception of the right wing, but the British one. Why is that so?

When i was in 6thform several years ago (or maybe year 11 GCSE, dont remember), they vaguely taught us about conservativism, liberalism and far-right in a British context. I've forgotten most of it now accept the concept of the nanny state. I learned it in sociology although now i understand how much of a terrible subject it is lol.
Original post by BitMel
When i was in 6thform several years ago (or maybe year 11 GCSE, dont remember), they vaguely taught us about conservativism, liberalism and far-right in a British context. I've forgotten most of it now accept the concept of the nanny state. I learned it in sociology although now i understand how much of a terrible subject it is lol.

They didn't seem to teach you about the nuances and the connotations of the phrases "right wing" and "left wing" in different countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending