The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sapphire280902
No problem :smile:
I'm planning on retaking maths chemistry and biology hoping to bump up my grades to A/Bs. I'm worried too that my teachers won't predict me high enough and I'll have to end up applying after I get my results meaning 2 gap years.

Same exact worry for me. I also resat a year, so doing another gap year by force is really not what I want to do. There is also the option of doing a course I don't want to do for year with lower entry requirements and then transferring the year after, but I don't want to waste time or money doing that.
Reply 21
Bruh,so for me the ministry has changed the days the school can keep onsite students,As in after that period of days back to online, and the sky teacher told me that when school starts she will be making me do a lot of mocks styled kind of questions (exam conditions) as to prepare my evidence because she says though I could start preparing for the retake on Jan, if they get cancelled at least my evidence alone can help me tremendously (my friend who did a retake of physics on Jan this year, though it was like cancelled his evidence boasted his grades to a B)
Hey guys I’m planning on resitting bio and chem in summer my TAGS were both Bs but I need As for my course. But I’m scared because I’ve completely forgot everything from a level and I have just started revising again. I feel like my level right now is like an E in both is it possible for me to get an A if I’m resitting 2 a levels in summer?
heyy anyone taking IT for 2022 summer reach out to me.
Original post by BishBash726
Hey guys I’m planning on resitting bio and chem in summer my TAGS were both Bs but I need As for my course. But I’m scared because I’ve completely forgot everything from a level and I have just started revising again. I feel like my level right now is like an E in both is it possible for me to get an A if I’m resitting 2 a levels in summer?

Hey, I think you'll be fine since you're already working at a B grade according to your teachers. I reset my chemistry exam in autumn 2020 and managed to get an A and I only started learning after results day without touching a book since March 2020. Luckily I only had to retake 1 subject but since you're taking it in summer next year it should be fine. I recommend using https://wp.uplearn.co.uk
you can also get it for free if you used to have free school meals or friends who can make an account for you.
I used it and it was really helpful. Also instead of just reading content try learning through answering questions using old past papers. Then when you see that you are remembering content and can use the exact wording the exam board is looking for, switch to the recent year papers. If you need any other help or advice feel free to pm me.
Original post by Bubbles_211
Hey, I think you'll be fine since you're already working at a B grade according to your teachers. I reset my chemistry exam in autumn 2020 and managed to get an A and I only started learning after results day without touching a book since March 2020. Luckily I only had to retake 1 subject but since you're taking it in summer next year it should be fine. I recommend using https://wp.uplearn.co.uk
you can also get it for free if you used to have free school meals or friends who can make an account for you.
I used it and it was really helpful. Also instead of just reading content try learning through answering questions using old past papers. Then when you see that you are remembering content and can use the exact wording the exam board is looking for, switch to the recent year papers. If you need any other help or advice feel free to pm me.

Thank you so much for your response! I’ll defo have a look at unlearn and do lots of past papers.
Original post by icecreamvanilla2
I recently said in this thread i was going to sit this autumn, however I no longer want too. There's not enough time to study 2 a levels so I think I'm going to do it next summer and hope and prey that the summer 2022 exams go ahead as planned.

you know you could always do the autumn exams, and if everything goes well then fantastic. but if not then you can simply enter yourself in for the summer exams. I understand you wanting more time but realistically starting intensive revision now will put you in a better position for summer regardless and seeing as the exams are free in the autumn, it would be a great opportunity revise.

im saying this because im also taking 2 alevels (bio and chem) and this seems like the smartest course of action in general. its a lot more likely that autumn exams will go ahead as planned where as the same cant be said about summer exams as the situation could be entirely different by the time may rolls around. i say this because this is exactly what happened last year and those who made the same decision as you have to not do autumn exams and instead do summer resits never got the chance to do so.

regardless i wish you all the best and good luck!
Original post by hamdaaaa
you know you could always do the autumn exams, and if everything goes well then fantastic. but if not then you can simply enter yourself in for the summer exams. I understand you wanting more time but realistically starting intensive revision now will put you in a better position for summer regardless and seeing as the exams are free in the autumn, it would be a great opportunity revise.

im saying this because im also taking 2 alevels (bio and chem) and this seems like the smartest course of action in general. its a lot more likely that autumn exams will go ahead as planned where as the same cant be said about summer exams as the situation could be entirely different by the time may rolls around. i say this because this is exactly what happened last year and those who made the same decision as you have to not do autumn exams and instead do summer resits never got the chance to do so.

surely the summer exams are extremely likely to go ahead though, with all the vaccinations and lowered covid cases in the UK?
Reply 28
Hi, I'm going to retake Biology, is it possible to switch exam boards. I did OCR in the summer, is possible to switch to AQA for the autumn exams?
Original post by aliaa03
surely the summer exams are extremely likely to go ahead though, with all the vaccinations and lowered covid cases in the UK?

i sincerely hope they go ahead and yes looking at the trajectory of how things are going now, its likely that they will go ahead. but again anything can really happen and i wouldnt wholeheartedly rely on that being the case. the situation last year appeared that summer 2021 exams would definitely go ahead until january came around and they were cancelled. essentially im saying that you dont want to put yourself in an even more unfavourable position when it can be avoided. i wouldnt let the opportunity to retake these exams for free go to waste because i doubted my ability to revise in the time span of two months, is essentially what im saying.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by elmi404
Hi, I'm going to retake Biology, is it possible to switch exam boards. I did OCR in the summer, is possible to switch to AQA for the autumn exams?

unfortunately no, you will be sitting the exact same exam board you were meant to sit in the summer. if you want to take an entirely different exam board, i believe you would have to go to an exam center and enter yourself in to sit that exam board in the summer.

could i ask why you want to switch to aqa? the content seems to be relatively the same but the way the actual exams are structured seem to vary quite a bit
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 31
unfortunately no, you will be sitting the exact same exam board you were meant to sit in the summer. if you want to take an entirely different exam board, i believe you would have to go to an exam center and enter yourself in to sit that exam board in the summer.

could i ask why you want to switch to aqa? the content seems to be relatively the same but the way the actual exams are structured seem to vary quite a bit

Thanks for replying! I was just wondering
Original post by zoe.nyaku
I am stuggling as it is to revise one a level by october let alone 2! I think its a smart decision to it in summer if you feel you won't be ready. I know for next year I will smash those exams. I am literally praying so hard 2022 returns to normal. Surely they can't cancel the exams again, im just hoping with the vaccine and everything that things will be fine for students planning to resit next year.

How much do you have to pay to resit all three in the summer? (I'm considering the same)
Original post by zoe.nyaku
I am stuggling as it is to revise one a level by october let alone 2! I think its a smart decision to it in summer if you feel you won't be ready. I know for next year I will smash those exams. I am literally praying so hard 2022 returns to normal. Surely they can't cancel the exams again, im just hoping with the vaccine and everything that things will be fine for students planning to resit next year.

exams almost 100% won’t be cancelled next year. We have a successful vaccination programme and even if cases begin to rise the government have said schools will be one of the last places to close :smile:
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
How much do you have to pay to resit all three in the summer? (I'm considering the same)

I have to pay 395 to sit biology😭😭😭 I do eduqas so it's so hard to find an exam centre
I'm also re sitting all 3 and I'm scared 😭 I literally have no friends in 6thform as they have all gone to uni so I'm lonely! ah well all the time to revise! If we get AAA can we apply to unis like Leicester via clearing? They want the grades first and then to apply, which would take 2 more years. It's my dream uni for med and hopes are looking dismal atm
Original post by cottonsocks18
I'm also re sitting all 3 and I'm scared 😭 I literally have no friends in 6thform as they have all gone to uni so I'm lonely! ah well all the time to revise! If we get AAA can we apply to unis like Leicester via clearing? They want the grades first and then to apply, which would take 2 more years. It's my dream uni for med and hopes are looking dismal atm

Does med have that many places in clearing tho? And I think usually if you resit they require more than AAA usually at least an A*? Could be wrong tho. Plus taking two gap years without guarantee of a place is a bit risky, but if it's what you really want you should go for it!

Hey! I'm in a similar position to you, I want to retake both Biology and Chemistry and had always planned to do it this Autumn but now its dawning on me that I probably won't be able to improve my grades by much in such a short space of time. I'm thinking about summer retakes but I'm hesitant to apply because I doubt my predicted grades will be good so I won't be able to apply to the uni's I really want to go to. .
Does anyone know of any private centres that could give grades if (hopefully not) exams are cancelled
Original post by caterpillar2003
Hey! I'm in a similar position to you, I want to retake both Biology and Chemistry and had always planned to do it this Autumn but now its dawning on me that I probably won't be able to improve my grades by much in such a short space of time. I'm thinking about summer retakes but I'm hesitant to apply because I doubt my predicted grades will be good so I won't be able to apply to the uni's I really want to go to. .

adjustment is always an option! so if you do summer retakes and you do better than your predicted grades, then apply via adjustment. my course of action is, im gonna put my all into autumn exams, if it doesnt go well then ill do summer retakes and adjust on results day. im wishing you all the best!!!!