The Student Room Group

Can Americans/Australians of British ancestry get a right of return

Can they return to Britain based on the idea this was their homeland 300 years ago?

If not, why not?
UK law has long been hostile to jus sanguinis.

But it's useful to ask the same question about those other two countries. I don't know about Aus law. For the US, in theory it could work but only if your string of ancestors all maintained US citizenship, which would be tricky while they all lived abroad as the US bars dual nationality for adults.
Can someone remind me of the reason to why their ancestors were sent to Australia in the first place?
Reply 3
No, because the law states quite clearly that they cant. A nebulous potential ancestry of 3 centuries ago hardly makes them British.. The closest you would get is the old laws regarding grandparents and im fairly sure those have been scrapped as well.

Original post by hungrysalamander
Can someone remind me of the reason to why their ancestors were sent to Australia in the first place?

Some immigrated to escape the class system, some were convicts, some were ex cons, some simply wanted adventure, some were paid etc. etc. there are countless other examples.
Nope, rights to UK citizenship by descent is limited to one generation most of the time, occasionally two depending on circumstances, and that's basically it.
No.

We sent our convicts over there for a reason. :lol:
See my previous post. Jews wouldn't have lasted all these centuries if they'd insisted on jus soli and trashed jus sanguinis!
Original post by Justvisited
See my previous post. Jews wouldn't have lasted all these centuries if they'd insisted on jus soli and trashed jus sanguinis!

I have no idea how I repped this because I meant to quote you but anyways, no. National minorities like the Québecois never insisted that they were French because their ancestors were and still exist today.
Reply 8
I’m a Canadian, Aussie and British citizen. Your parents can pass it down one generation provide they’re not citizens by descent. And those from commonwealth countries with British grandparents can apply for an ancestor visa which is a five year work visa with an east pathway to indefinite right to remain in the UK but it’s pretty pricy I think it’s around £6000 from memory.
Reply 9
Original post by Alavate
I’m a Canadian, Aussie and British citizen. Your parents can pass it down one generation provide they’re not citizens by descent. And those from commonwealth countries with British grandparents can apply for an ancestor visa which is a five year work visa with an east pathway to indefinite right to remain in the UK but it’s pretty pricy I think it’s around £6000 from memory.

Didnt they scrap the grandparent one a while back?
At any rate, the descent one is half right, they can pass it on if the childs born in the country (at least for NZL) although by that point it would have been easier to turn the citizenship into full as opposed to the quasi one that by descent offers you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending