The Student Room Group

Cap on how many students admitted

How do students repeating the year, taking a year out affect the cap for the year they later join? Are these excluded from the cap on the number of students accepted for that new cohort? Isn't it quite unpredictable? Does it affect the offers that are given out for the new cohort?
Reply 1
Reply 2

There are usually very few people repeating years, so would not have a big effect.
I doubt med schools cut numbers of applicants down, as at the point of making offers, they will not know how many are going to fail first year and be allowed to resit?
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD
There are usually very few people repeating years, so would not have a big effect.
I doubt med schools cut numbers of applicants down, as at the point of making offers, they will not know how many are going to fail first year and be allowed to resit?

Thanks @GANFYD, that's what I was thinking too, but with how strict the caps on numbers are, I wondered how this gets managed and the impact on offers given out. There must be some flexibility in the system then!
Reply 4
Original post by Anewlight
Thanks @GANFYD, that's what I was thinking too, but with how strict the caps on numbers are, I wondered how this gets managed and the impact on offers given out. There must be some flexibility in the system then!

This is why med schools are not keen on students repeating years, and many only give 1 resit (in Aug) and fail it, and you are out!
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD
This is why med schools are not keen on students repeating years, and many only give 1 resit (in Aug) and fail it, and you are out!

Oh I did not know that and thought everyone is normally allowed to repeat the year if they fail the resit!
Reply 6
Original post by Anewlight
Oh I did not know that and thought everyone is normally allowed to repeat the year if they fail the resit!

Nope, some med schools terminate your place if you do not pass the year at first sitting or resit without ExCircs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending