The Student Room Group

Chronicles of a First year Foodie

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh Chrono! Best of luck for this year! Please can I have a taggle? :hugs:
#1: 19/09/2021 - berries and cream, berries and cream, berries and cream

Good afternoon!!!!! :wavey: How to start this update... :iiam: Oh yea I had a fun time with my friend who I met up with before I came back to uni - we ended up wandering about my hometown, we met up with another mutual friend and then ended up getting tea from a local cafe :awesome:

It's been a week in my new place which has been awesome so far. I've pretty much fully unpacked (minus a few things like decor which I've ordered in) :redface:
My shared home feels like home already - it feels much better especially for the MH compared to being at home where one of my parents would come home from visiting my Nan and unload all their anger and worries and stuff onto me. I just feel so lucky everyone in my accommodation gets on so well. It does feel slightly weird not calling home as much like I did last year because they're so busy now.

The lowdown on news:
- I've set up my printer (and AirPrint ofc bc I'm extra :tongue:) :pcguru:
- All my flatmates are all moved in so we're officially a full house :woo: a few days ago we watched the Spongebob squarepants movie
- We have maybe had some drain shower clogging issues which I won't go into details about but it was a bit :puke: we managed to sort it though :biggrin:
- There are loads of lovely cycle lanes across and around my campus which is awesome as I didn't know this last year because my halls last year were situated on the opposite side of the university, getting to campus will take no time at all by my bike :thumbsup:
- A LOT of cleaning has been done so the house is pretty functional now :yeah:
- I don't need to book before I need to go to the uni library like I did last year, and it's back to its old 24-hour opening :excited:
- I eventually found the welcome week timetable. I only know it existed because of last year, have had no communication at all so had to find the timetable myself online which looks like a big long list (which doesn't make sense to my brain either).
- I looked at my timetable which looks alright at the moment :biggrin: I'm SO excited for a couple of them. I STILL can't do the module selection until this coming week though. Neither do I have a clue where any of the places are on my timetable :lol:

Me when I see the word 'online' on my timetable. OK its not for everything and I seem to have more in person things this year but there is still a few things which are 'online'.:hmmmm:

- I've had another DSA software training session, this session I was learning how to use the Sonocent AudioNotetaker which looks like it's going to be so helpful already :yep:
- I tried phoning my GP practice to book a repeat blood test that I couldn't book because of the national shortage of blood vials :sigh:
- My fyp on Tiktok is full of berries and cream remixes :headbang: make it stop pls

I think that's it for now!

Tagzz

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chronoscope
#1: 19/09/2021 - BERRIES AND CREAM

Good afternoon!!!!! :wavey: How to start this update... :iiam: Oh yea I had a fun time with my friend who I met up with before I came back to uni - we ended up wandering about my hometown, we met up with another mutual friend and then ended up getting tea from a local cafe :awesome:

It's been a week in my new place which has been awesome so far. I've pretty much fully unpacked (minus a few things like decor which I've ordered in) :redface:
My shared home feels like home already - it feels much better especially for the MH compared to being at home where one of my parents would come home from visiting my Nan and unload all their anger and worries and stuff onto me. I just feel so lucky everyone in my accommodation gets on so well. It does feel slightly weird not calling home as much like I did last year because they're so busy now.

The lowdown on news:
- All my flatmates are all moved in so we're officially a full house :woo: a few days ago we watched the Spongebob squarepants movie
- We have maybe had some drain shower clogging issues which I won't go into details about but it was a bit :puke: we managed to sort it though :biggrin:
- There are loads of lovely cycle lanes across and around my campus which is awesome as I didn't know this last year because my halls last year were situated on the opposite side of the university, getting to campus will take no time at all by my bike :thumbsup:
- A LOT of cleaning has been done so the house is pretty functional now :yeah:
- I don't need to book before I need to go to the uni library like I did last year, and it's back to its old 24-hour opening :excited:
- I eventually found the welcome week timetable. I only know it existed because of last year, have had no communication at all so had to find the timetable myself online which looks like a big long list (which doesn't make sense to my brain either).
- I looked at my timetable which looks alright at the moment :biggrin: I'm SO excited for a couple of them. I STILL can't do the module selection until this coming week though. Neither do I have a clue where any of the places are on my timetable :lol:

Me when I see the word 'online' on my timetable

- I've had another DSA software training session, this session I was learning how to use the Sonocent AudioNotetaker which looks like it's going to be so helpful already :yep:
- I tried phoning my GP practice to book a repeat blood test that I couldn't book because of the national shortage of blood vials :sigh:
- My fyp on Tiktok is full of berries and cream remixes :headbang: make it stop pls

I think that's it for now!

Tagzz

Spoiler

This is great that you've settled in so well to your new accommodation, and everything is sorted so quickly. It means you can concentrate on the important stuff, ie. your course, without having to worry about living arrangements. 'Blocked shower' makes me think of 'hair in plug holes', which actually makes me gag a bit.
sounds lovely and i'm glad to hear you've settled in now! i moved in 5 days ago and it already feels like home to me :lol:
#1: 19/09/2021 - berries and cream, berries and cream, berries and cream

The lowdown on news:

Spoiler

What a great post - this all sounds really positive - well done on settling in so quickly :smile:

PS If it was hair in the plughole you can get a 'plug hole hair-catcher' which stops it going down - really useful. [just google]
Original post by Reality Check
This is great that you've settled in so well to your new accommodation, and everything is sorted so quickly. It means you can concentrate on the important stuff, ie. your course, without having to worry about living arrangements. 'Blocked shower' makes me think of 'hair in plug holes', which actually makes me gag a bit.

Aye
Yep it was completely gross :lol: :puke:
Luckily hasn’t clogged up since - we now keep a pair of washing up gloves in the wet room :colondollar:
Original post by Muttley79
What a great post - this all sounds really positive - well done on settling in so quickly :smile:

PS If it was hair in the plughole you can get a 'plug hole hair-catcher' which stops it going down - really useful. [just google]

Ah i think ik what you mean :biggrin: have one back at home for the bath
Annoyingly we have a grid type drain in the floor so i don’t think it would work very well :sad:
Original post by absolutelysprout
sounds lovely and i'm glad to hear you've settled in now! i moved in 5 days ago and it already feels like home to me :lol:

:five: glad you’re enjoying uni :jumphug:
Ah i think ik what you mean :biggrin: have one back at home for the bath
Annoyingly we have a grid type drain in the floor so i don’t think it would work very well :sad:

You can get 6 inch square ones for drains - of course if everyone cleans it every time it'll be fine :smile:
06/10/2021 - 12 days +unnecessary character development

:popout: Well this feels like it's been the longest (almost 2 weeks I think?) of my entire life :hmmmm: If you have been tagged and are you're not on my regular tag list, you've probably been wondering where the heck I've been :hide:

Uni has literally been amazing so far - everything in my course is awesome, the modules, the people, the buildings, and my flatmates (as always) :banana: At the moment I've got 5 modules on the go, but I'm so glad I did the foundation year, last year :yep: in my group chat for my course loads of people are saying they think its too much work already :eek4: On the 24th Oct, I did some top secret TSR planning which is as I said top secret, but it was v interesting experience :yep: oh yeah did I mention I kind of overpacked :yikes:
Freshers flu has cleared up at last and its no longer making me feel like a four letter word beginning with s :redface: Good thing too cos I was getting tired of switching between Vicks vapour rub, nasal inhalers and throat lozenges :lol: It definitely wasn't covid as I was testing daily at that point just in case, luckily I didn't really have anything on during that week so I could just rest.

I'll get the depressing stuff out of the way first, basically same second week of uni I probably had the worst flu in my life, my Nan passed away on the weekend of the 25th Sept :cry2: :rip:

T/w anxiety, grief, funerals etc. you don't have to read this bit if you don't want to :grouphugs:

Spoiler

Modules 'n' stuff :biggrin:

Introductory Microbiology (rating= 6/10 so far)

Molecular Studies for the Life Sciences - not until next term

Economics of Climate Change - is my optional module. I'm pretty sure this doesn't have an exam either but I need to double-check :colondollar: (I'm rating it 7/10 so far).

Farm to Fork - 9/10 so far. By far the most interesting module atm. Covers the food supply chain.

Fundamental Biochemistry - not had any classes for this yet so will rate it in due course :biggrin:

Food Processing and Engineering - 9/10, my first practical is tomorrow and this is the one with the most practicals in it :excited:

Food Microbiology - don't start until next term :iiam:

Human Physiology and Nutrition - no summer exam :woo:

Random stuff
Lecturers all seem pretty friendly :thumbsup: This morning we all had to do some kind of diagnostic English test thing testing very basic grammar which was pretty easy in the end and only took a quarter of an hour. I think it was just to check if you need any academic support if English is your second language :smile:

So far I've had 2 practicals! The first was my Human physiology module which was all about blood pressure and we were in pairs using the blood pressure machines in the lab. My second practical tomorrow is all about coffee dehydration :biggrin: kind of excited despite not liking nor knowing much about coffee :hide:

Also, my international flatmate went back to Italy a couple of weeks ago as they completed their course :sadnod: They got a replacement tenant for us and he's alright. The other day when the Facebook network went down we all went to Aldi to get some much-needed shopping :yes: However we didn't realise it was down until we came back so we ended up deep cleaning the kitchen and mopping the floor :lol:
I attended freshers fayre and signed up for a couple of societies - the film, chess, and arts and crafts society saying that I haven't felt able to go to any of them because of the above :sigh:

Will update again soon :penguin:

awesome peeps

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
sorry to hear about your nan, hope you're doing okay :console: i'm glad to hear she passed peacefully though
i was so ill last weekend too, could barely leave my bed because i felt so awful :laugh::five:
Sending condolences and a hug to you :console:

I lost my nan at uni and it does feel strange - look after yourself.

Glad you are feeling better and beginning to get stuck into the course - sounds really interesting :smile:

:popout: Well this feels like it's been the longest (almost 2 weeks I think?) of my entire life :hmmmm: If you have been tagged and are you're not on my regular tag list, you've probably been wondering where the heck I've been :hide:

Uni has literally been amazing so far - everything in my course is awesome, the modules, the people, the buildings, and my flatmates (as always) :banana: At the moment I've got 5 modules on the go, but I'm so glad I did the foundation year, last year :yep: in my group chat for my course loads of people are saying they think its too much work already :eek4: On the 24th Oct, I did some top secret TSR planning which is as I said top secret, but it was v interesting experience :yep: oh yeah did I mention I kind of overpacked :yikes:
Freshers flu has cleared up at last and its no longer making me feel like a four letter word beginning with s :redface: Good thing too cos I was getting tired of switching between Vicks vapour rub, nasal inhalers and throat lozenges :lol: It definitely wasn't covid as I was testing daily at that point just in case, luckily I didn't really have anything on during that week so I could just rest.

I'll get the depressing stuff out of the way first, basically same second week of uni I probably had the worst flu in my life, my Nan passed away on the weekend of the 25th Sept :cry2: :rip:

T/w anxiety, grief, funerals etc. you don't have to read this bit if you don't want to :grouphugs:

Spoiler

Economics of Climate Change - is my optional module. I'm pretty sure this doesn't have an exam either but I need to double-check :colondollar: (I'm rating it 7/10 so far).

Farm to Fork - 9/10 so far. By far the most interesting module atm. Covers the food supply chain.

Fundamental Biochemistry - not had any classes for this yet so will rate it in due course :biggrin:

Food Processing and Engineering - 9/10, my first practical is tomorrow and this is the one with the most practicals in it :excited:

Random stuff
Lecturers all seem pretty friendly :thumbsup: This morning we all had to do some kind of diagnostic English test thing testing very basic grammar which was pretty easy in the end and only took a quarter of an hour. I think it was just to check if you need any academic support if English is your second language :smile:

So far I've had 2 practicals! The first was my Human physiology module which was all about blood pressure and we were in pairs using the blood pressure machines in the lab. My second practical tomorrow is all about coffee dehydration :biggrin: kind of excited despite not liking nor knowing much about coffee :hide:

Also, my international flatmate went back to Italy a couple of weeks ago as they completed their course :sadnod: They got a replacement tenant for us and he's alright. The other day when the Facebook network went down we all went to Aldi to get some much-needed shopping :yes: However we didn't realise it was down until we came back so we ended up deep cleaning the kitchen and mopping the floor :lol:
I attended freshers fayre and signed up for a couple of societies - the film, chess, and arts and crafts society saying that I haven't felt able to go to any of them because of the above :sigh:

awesome peeps

Spoiler

hope things are ok chef chrono:biggrin:

oh that must be sad when a flatmate leaves
Reply 32
That's great that you're liking the modules so much. Condolences about your nan :frown:
Sending hugs :hugs:
hugs
Sorry to hear about your grandma Chrono :frown: sending virtual hugs your way!! :hugs: :love:

Glad to hear the rest + uni stuff is going swell! :yep:

Spoiler

Random stuff

awesome peeps

Spoiler

sorry for your loss chrono:console:
28/11/2021 - the one with no boiler, no hot water, heating, and fridge :snowman:

Howdy :wavey: guess who has returned :biggrin: not disappeared completely
Lots has happened since my last update :tongue:

Uni stuff
- lots and lots of deadlines :eek4: I think there putting most of the deadlines before Christmas instead of afterwards
- had quite a few practical lab sessions :yeah: and they were really interesting. One was for my microbiology module and we did a series of experiments on how to do streak plates, isolating bacteria, food samples, abd using gram stains :tongue:
The other practical I found pretty interesting we were timing how long heomolysis took in a sample (of which we were given 10, like urea, glucose etc) in horse blood, and had to compare it to a control sample
- so many Blackboard tests :eek4:

Other stuff :smile:
- I had my flu jab a couple of weeks ago - ofc I got the v grumpy nurse and didn’t really speak to me at all which just made me more nervous (more of a distraction tbh), but hey I’m jabbed now
- today our boiler broke :iiam: no hot water, no heating :yikes: we’ve all wrapped up warm :lol:
- we’re awaiting a new fridge/freezer to be delivered bc the fuse broke on that, but luckily the landlord sent someone to come and look at it to confirm its broken, but for the meantime 6 people are sharing one fridge
- the funeral went ok although you could cut the tension in half with a knife, and there’s a lot of arguing going on with my Mum and in-laws atm because they can be quite narcissistic :frown: so when they were sorting out stuff from my nan’s house they just wanted to chuck everything away without sorting it and dump it because they don’t believe in climate change/recycling etc.
- In relation to the post above I’m on anxiety medication now which I think are helping. When I was at home (cos of the funeral) my uncle phoned quite a bit and it would always end up in lots of tears / them arguing
- no idea when I’m going home for Christmas yet bc my other Grandma on my Dad’s side has had shingles although she’s much better now thankgoodness
- my room is a mess and I need to clean it :lol:
- Did some more top secret Chat and Entertainment planning a couple of weeks ago now which was pretty funnnn :smile: but yea its top secret so I can’t say :iiam:
- is anyone watching the new series of Doctor Who? :shock: :love: what did you think?

Tw anxiety/panic attacks

Spoiler

Thanks for all your support from my last post :grouphugs:

Tagzz

@Muttley79 @Wise Goldie @Icosagon @flaurie @Reality Check @Sinnoh @RazzzBerries @absolutelysprout
(edited 2 years ago)
Glad your course is going well. The lab work sounds fascinating

Not a great time for your boiler to break down - really hope it's sorted soon. Brrrr .. hope you've got some electric heaters.

Spoiler

28/11/2021 - the one with no boiler, no hot water, heating, and fridge :snowman:

Howdy :wavey: guess who has returned :biggrin: not disappeared completely
Lots has happened since my last update :tongue:

Uni stuff
- lots and lots of deadlines :eek4: I think there putting most of the deadlines before Christmas instead of afterwards
- had quite a few practical lab sessions :yeah: and they were really interesting. One was for my microbiology module and we did a series of experiments on how to do streak plates, isolating bacteria, food samples, abd using gram stains :tongue:
The other practical I found pretty interesting we were timing how long heomolysis took in a sample (of which we were given 10, like urea, glucose etc) in horse blood, and had to compare it to a control sample
- so many Blackboard tests :eek4:

Other stuff :smile:
- I had my flu jab a couple of weeks ago - ofc I got the v grumpy nurse and didn’t really speak to me at all which just made me more nervous (more of a distraction tbh), but hey I’m jabbed now
- today our boiler broke :iiam: no hot water, no heating :yikes: we’ve all wrapped up warm :lol:
- we’re awaiting a new fridge/freezer to be delivered bc the fuse broke on that, but luckily the landlord sent someone to come and look at it to confirm its broken, but for the meantime 6 people are sharing one fridge
- the funeral went ok although you could cut the tension in half with a knife, and there’s a lot of arguing going on with my Mum and in-laws atm because they can be quite narcissistic :frown: so when they were sorting out stuff from my nan’s house they just wanted to chuck everything away without sorting it and dump it because they don’t believe in climate change/recycling etc.
- In relation to the post above I’m on anxiety medication now which I think are helping. When I was at home (cos of the funeral) my uncle phoned quite a bit and it would always end up in lots of tears / them arguing
- no idea when I’m going home for Christmas yet bc my other Grandma on my Dad’s side has had shingles although she’s much better now thankgoodness
- my room is a mess and I need to clean it :lol:
- Did some more top secret Chat and Entertainment planning a couple of weeks ago now which was pretty funnnn :smile: but yea its top secret so I can’t say :iiam:
- is anyone watching the new series of Doctor Who? :shock: :love: what did you think?

Tw anxiety/panic attacks

Spoiler

Thanks for all your support from my last post :grouphugs:

Tagzz

@Muttley79 @Wise Goldie @Icosagon @flaurie @Reality Check @Sinnoh @RazzzBerries @absolutelysprout

are you looking forward to Christmas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending