The Student Room Group

Is anyone's uni experience not what they expected?

I thought I would have a great time and make friends but I haven't made any friends and the city isnt that live.

Scroll to see replies

University as a life phase is over-hyped.
Original post by Mesopotamian.

Which life phase is the best?
Original post by cleveranimal56

I’m not really in a position to answer that given that I haven’t yet lived at least half of the average life expectancy of the U.K.
I'm about to start my fourth year and I haven't really enjoyed it. I love my course but that's about it.

In my first year I was put in a flat where none of us got along. Second year got ruined by strikes and Covid. Third year was supposed to be my year abroad which got cancelled. They're now saying that there will probably be strikes this year too. :s-smilie:

Just looking forward to leaving..
Original post by cleveranimal56

The bit before you were born
Original post by Mesopotamian.

Definitely isn't going to be the best year of my life :smile:
Original post by Something Peach
I'm about to start my fourth year and I haven't really enjoyed it. I love my course but that's about it.

In my first year I was put in a flat where none of us got along. Second year got ruined by strikes and Covid. Third year was supposed to be my year abroad which got cancelled. They're now saying that there will probably be strikes this year too. :s-smilie:

Just looking forward to leaving..

That's pretty depressing tbh
Original post by Little pecker
The bit before you were born

Damn, you must have been livin in the womb.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yup, i feel robbed.

Undergrad- i lived at home so never had the normal uni experience anyway. Then 3rd year was when covid hit so i did my dissertation from home etc. Also, graduation didnt really happen.

Postgrad- i finally moved out but with lockdowns all my lectures for that year was online.
What uni? When did you start?
Same but I think if you enjoy your course, that's all that matters.
Undergrad - it was all hyped up. Post grad abroad - once in a lifetime experience.
Reply 13
Yeah I’m back for postgrad and I feel like I’ve moved on from uni life, it’s just the same boring immature fest I remember it to be
Original post by Copasetic
What uni? When did you start?

Uni of Nottingham. Moved in on Friday
Original post by Anonymous
Same but I think if you enjoy your course, that's all that matters.

I better enjoy my course otherwise what is the point
I'm going next week but I think it's to be expected. Usually the vision in our heads is always better than reality unfortunately.
Original post by Moonlight Rain
I thought I would have a great time and make friends but I haven't made any friends and the city isnt that live.

Yep definitely!

-Actually made it into the one I put.
-Made no friends in 4 years
-Had to drop out a year because it ruined my life
-Found out I was autistic
-Actually got good grades in uni despite it definitely not being worth it at all
-Hey, now I am bilingual
Original post by Moonlight Rain
Uni of Nottingham. Moved in on Friday

yeah... speaking speaking as someone who lived in the DABE since i was 3 (my dad worked for them akdjjsj) Nottingham is really dormant, only the city centre has some activity - however not exactly well versed on their club scene
I absolutely loved my time at uni - it was not the best years of my life but they were great years. Give it time to settle in. Freshers week is so overrated and everyone is thrown together and expected to get along. But soon you will meet people with similar interests from your course and societies and find the people that will become your friends. Then freshers in second year is amazing! But nights out are only good with friends - first years freshers is hyped up into something it isn't to sell tickets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending