The Student Room Group

** Chemical Engineering applicants 2021/22 Megathread!**

Hey there! I noticed that there was no thread for Chemical Engineering applicants, so I thought I'd make one. I'm not an applicant myself, and actually run a YouTube channel for applicants and enthusiasts of Chemical Engineering, but I'd be happy to help if anyone has any questions!

Post your stats below!
iGCSE/GCSE/N5/ under-18 qualifications grades:
A level/IB/ age-18 qualification Subjects:
Predicted Grades:
Unis you have/will apply to:
Fields you are interested in going into after your degree:

Please remember to be respectful and lets make this into a helpful prosper community!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ChemEngWeekly
Hey there! I noticed that there was no thread for Chemical Engineering applicants, so I thought I'd make one. I'm not an applicant myself, and actually run a YouTube channel for applicants and enthusiasts of Chemical Engineering, but I'd be happy to help if anyone has any questions!

Post your stats below!
iGCSE/GCSE grades:
A level Subjects:
Predicted Grades:
Unis you have/will apply to:
Fields you are interested in going into after your degree:

Please remember to be respectful and lets make this into a helpful prosper community!

Hello, I've got offers for Chemical Engineering, but I'm having a really hard time to decide. Any advice from you would be helpful.
Original post by Ricksanchezz
Hello, I've got offers for Chemical Engineering, but I'm having a really hard time to decide. Any advice from you would be helpful.

Hey there! So I am going to assume you are talking about offers through UCAS… which unis have got back, what are your predicted/achieved grades and what are the offers, if I may ask?
Hey there! So I am going to assume you are talking about offers through UCAS… which unis have got back, what are your predicted/achieved grades and what are the offers, if I may ask?

I've applied for MSc in Chemical Engineering, I have offers from University of leeds, University of Aberdeen, University of Birmingham, Strathclyde, Swansea and Surrey, but i couldn't join in September due to some reasons. University of Leeds and Birmingham aren't offering the January intake so i gotta choose one from the others I mentioned. I'm genuinely having a hard time to decide, any help from you would be appreciated. I'm an international student so I can't visit the universities in person.
Original post by Ricksanchezz
I've applied for MSc in Chemical Engineering, I have offers from University of leeds, University of Aberdeen, University of Birmingham, Strathclyde, Swansea and Surrey, but i couldn't join in September due to some reasons. University of Leeds and Birmingham aren't offering the January intake so i gotta choose one from the others I mentioned. I'm genuinely having a hard time to decide, any help from you would be appreciated. I'm an international student so I can't visit the universities in person.

Right, so I have understood the situation now. I think to just see what the universities look like, try to get a virtual tour video which you should be able to acces via YouTube if they are up there; I understand that its not the same as in person, but it may give you a good indication based off what you like/ do not like. Another thing that would be good would be to try and see what extra-curriculars/ activities are available because you will be there for 1 year as an older student (because MSC courses are usually 1 year long full-time, but I am not sure if that is the same across all of those unis because i know that, for example, Birmingham offers 2/3 years on a part time too, but the ones you mention may not). The ones that are ranking highest on the league tables for student satisfaction and employability are Strathclyde and Aberdeen, but Swansea is a close third on that respect, so you could use this as a guide? Out of those ones, Strathclyde is definitely the most known for Chemical Engineering worldwide.

If you are really struggling, try to connect to international or MSC students at Aberdeen/Strathclyde/Swansea/Surrey via TSR's rooms or maybe even LinkedIn and ask them about their experiences, because it is sometimes different when you adjust to a new country and the atmosphere may translate a little differently.

That's pretty much all the advice I can give based on what you have told me, so i hope it helps you somewhat. Good luck deciding and, of course, if you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask!
Right, so I have understood the situation now. I think to just see what the universities look like, try to get a virtual tour video which you should be able to acces via YouTube if they are up there; I understand that its not the same as in person, but it may give you a good indication based off what you like/ do not like. Another thing that would be good would be to try and see what extra-curriculars/ activities are available because you will be there for 1 year as an older student (because MSC courses are usually 1 year long full-time, but I am not sure if that is the same across all of those unis because i know that, for example, Birmingham offers 2/3 years on a part time too, but the ones you mention may not). The ones that are ranking highest on the league tables for student satisfaction and employability are Strathclyde and Aberdeen, but Swansea is a close third on that respect, so you could use this as a guide? Out of those ones, Strathclyde is definitely the most known for Chemical Engineering worldwide.

If you are really struggling, try to connect to international or MSC students at Aberdeen/Strathclyde/Swansea/Surrey via TSR's rooms or maybe even LinkedIn and ask them about their experiences, because it is sometimes different when you adjust to a new country and the atmosphere may translate a little differently.

That's pretty much all the advice I can give based on what you have told me, so i hope it helps you somewhat. Good luck deciding and, of course, if you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed reply, this was very helpful. I really appreciate that. I'm in contact with a few students from these universities, I'll do some research before I make a final decision.
Is anyone else applying/has applied for Chemical Engineering at Queen Marys? I've already got my offer and it would be nice to talk to anyone who is also applying.
(edited 2 years ago)
Chemical Engineering at Bath is still open for applications - including the MEng and Placement year options : https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2022/chemical-engineering/#course-entries

Quick Reply

Latest