The Student Room Group

Is it worth staying in uni halls on a medical degree when I can commute ?

My accommodation is £174 a week; extortionate, when I'll just sit at a desk studying at the med school library and social outlets.

All of my flat mates seem to enjoy partying and are all girls. I am quite an introverted boy. I hate having to put on a social act ; like, its one thing living alone, another thing living with other people who i have no choice to live with.

I can commute to uni everyday but it will take me an hour to do this. My family cook dinner every night so i wont become sufficient here, but i will save my parents £7500 , without considering the cost of commuting.

I feel depressed without my family, i have nobody i like on my floor, they are all from very priviledged backgrounds and i feel disgusted everytime i think about how my parents are having to fork out £4000 to help pay for the accommodation...

I would be much happier at home i think , but will miss out on societies and the uni experience; but medical students don't even have a typical uni experience anyway. I knew this signing up for the course ! It will take an extra hour and 20 minutes to commute everyday which is quite a lot but i wont have to cook ( i will still clean however) .

Any thoughts ?

Scroll to see replies

My commute is typically 1 hour, sometimes 1.5 hours and rarely 2 hours - I’ve been doing this for 4 years and counting and I’ve survived. I wouldn’t recommend commuting any more than 1.5 hours regularly but your commute doesn’t seem that long so you’ll be fine.

As for the missing-out-on-the-social-life aspect: you won’t, if you put in the effort. I have many commuter friends who do just fine socially and don’t find living at home as a massive setback.
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
My commute is typically 1 hour, sometimes 1.5 hours and rarely 2 hours - I’ve been doing this for 4 years and counting and I’ve survived. I wouldn’t recommend commuting any more than 1.5 hours regularly but your commute doesn’t seem that long so you’ll be fine.

As for the missing-out-on-the-social-life aspect: you won’t, if you put in the effort. I have many commuter friends who do just fine socially and don’t find living at home as a massive setback.

What, you commute 1 hour one way ?

Do you have to come home and study after doing a commute like this ?
Reply 3
Why ? I could get all of my accommodation money back if i resign now.
Reply 4
Its £7500 ...

An absolute rip off to sit at a desk all day . And be away from my family.
Money wise it's better staying at home, but it is so much more convenient not having to commute, because commuting everyday could take a toll, especially around exam season.
Reply 6
I would say follow your instincts. For me half the uni experience was independent living though. You could review and decide what to do at the end of first year
Original post by Anonymous
My accommodation is £174 a week; extortionate, when I'll just sit at a desk studying at the med school library and social outlets.

All of my flat mates seem to enjoy partying and are all girls. I am quite an introverted boy. I hate having to put on a social act ; like, its one thing living alone, another thing living with other people who i have no choice to live with.

I can commute to uni everyday but it will take me an hour to do this. My family cook dinner every night so i wont become sufficient here, but i will save my parents £7500 , without considering the cost of commuting.

I feel depressed without my family, i have nobody i like on my floor, they are all from very priviledged backgrounds and i feel disgusted everytime i think about how my parents are having to fork out £4000 to help pay for the accommodation...

I would be much happier at home i think , but will miss out on societies and the uni experience; but medical students don't even have a typical uni experience anyway. I knew this signing up for the course ! It will take an extra hour and 20 minutes to commute everyday which is quite a lot but i wont have to cook ( i will still clean however) .

Any thoughts ?

It’s sounds like u want to commute so I’d say do that
Reply 8
I was just wondering say if you were to commute how would you get out of your university accommodation contract
Reply 9
Original post by Bakio98
I was just wondering say if you were to commute how would you get out of your university accommodation contract

I have extenuating circumstances that they may be quite lenient with but i cant disclose for privacy reasons.
Original post by Zarek
I would say follow your instincts. For me half the uni experience was independent living though. You could review and decide what to do at the end of first year

I guess, i feel terrible about the price though, like i cant even look around my room without feeling excrutiating guilt.
I am in the same predicament as you I’m in halls but hate it I’m trying to leave ASAP and go back home
Reply 12
I guess, i feel terrible about the price though, like i cant even look around my room without feeling excrutiating guilt.

A valuable investment in your personal development, you can pay them back when you’re a consultant. Get joining those societies and throw yourself in to a work hard play hard lifestyle
What, you commute 1 hour one way ?

Do you have to come home and study after doing a commute like this ?

Doctor here. I had 3-4 hour daily commute whilst working and studying for postgraduate exams (and having no one to cook or clean for me) and I survived. I'm sure you'll be fine if you choose to commute - 1 hour each way is not that bad.
Doctor here. I had 3-4 hour daily commute whilst working and studying for postgraduate exams (and having no one to cook or clean for me) and I survived. I'm sure you'll be fine if you choose to commute - 1 hour each way is not that bad.

Goodness me, that must have been brutal. Did you have a social life ?

That is brutal. What type of hours were you working?
Goodness me, that must have been brutal. Did you have a social life ?

I spent my free time sleeping tbh. Met up with friends 1-2 times a month at most.
That is brutal. What type of hours were you working?

Started at 8am, finished around 6-7pm most days. For on-calls (13 hours), I tried to stay locally whenever I could.
Started at 8am, finished around 6-7pm most days. For on-calls (13 hours), I tried to stay locally whenever I could.

Well done for doing all that driving on top of that and getting from one place to another safely! How long did you do that for?
Well done for doing all that driving on top of that and getting from one place to another safely! How long did you do that for?

I wasn't driving, I was commuting by train mostly, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I did it for 16 months.

Quick Reply

Latest