The Student Room Group

University of Manchester A106 2022 entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University of Manchester A106.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Manchester.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the University of Manchester A106 2022 Entry Discussion.

Manchester A106 thread 2021: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6512038

For general information click: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/01428/mbchb-medicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/01428/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/#course-profile

Manchester A104 / A106 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7185618

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello everyone! I would like to seek advice from you all,
I am an international student who is currently studying Physiotherapy in the UK.
I am graduating next year and I would like to study medicine ( standard entry) in 2022, my UCAT is 2490 and SJ Band 3.
Do I have an interview chance if I apply to Manchester University?
Many thanks!
Hello!
Could @GANFYD becausethenight or anyone help me in deciding whether these stats would get me an interview at Manchester?
I’m applying as a Home applicant and this is my first time applying to uni.

GCSEs:
Grade 9 x4: Biology, Business, Religious Studies, Geography
Grade 8 x5: Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Maths, Physics
Grade 7 x1: French

A Level Predicted Grades:
Maths- A*
Chemistry- A*
Biology- A

UCAT scores:
Verbal Reasoning: 610
Decision Making: 750
Quantitative Reasoning: 830
Abstract Reasoning: 670
Total Cognitive Score: 2860
SJT Band 2

Widening Participation: I attend a state run selective grammar school, so I don’t think I qualify for any contextual or WP considerations

Work Experience: Medic Life and Pre Med projects virtual work experiences
Volunteering at COVID vaccination clinics
Volunteering at Intermediate Care centres as a Drinks and Tea Server
Volunteer at Dementia Speciality Care home
Volunteer at Barnardos Charity store
Brighton and Sussex Medical School Interactive course
Moocs

Universities I’m interested in:
At the minute, I’m considering Manchester as I live nearby and I have seen the city and I like it.
I’m not sure whether my UCAT is high enough for Manchester.
Would my Band 2 in SJT affect me in any way when being selected for interview at Manchester?

Also, when universities like Manchester say they have a cut off point for interview selection based on UCAT scores of the candidates, does that mean they invite every applicant who has a UCAT score higher than the cut off or do they start ranking applicants who have exceeded the cut off point?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 3
Original post by godsservant1
Hello!
Could @GANFYD becausethenight or anyone help me in deciding whether these stats would get me an interview at Manchester?
I’m applying as a Home applicant and this is my first time applying to uni.

GCSEs:
Grade 9 x4: Biology, Business, Religious Studies, Geography
Grade 8 x5: Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Maths, Physics
Grade 7 x1: French

A Level Predicted Grades:
Maths- A*
Chemistry- A*
Biology- A

UCAT scores:
Verbal Reasoning: 610
Decision Making: 750
Quantitative Reasoning: 830
Abstract Reasoning: 670
Total Cognitive Score: 2860
SJT Band 2

Widening Participation: I attend a state run selective grammar school, so I don’t think I qualify for any contextual or WP considerations

Work Experience: Medic Life and Pre Med projects virtual work experiences
Volunteering at COVID vaccination clinics
Volunteering at Intermediate Care centres as a Drinks and Tea Server
Volunteer at Dementia Speciality Care home
Volunteer at Barnardos Charity store
Brighton and Sussex Medical School Interactive course
Moocs

Universities I’m interested in:
At the minute, I’m considering Manchester as I live nearby and I have seen the city and I like it.
I’m not sure whether my UCAT is high enough for Manchester.
Would my Band 2 in SJT affect me in any way when being selected for interview at Manchester?

Also, when universities like Manchester say they have a cut off point for interview selection based on UCAT scores of the candidates, does that mean they invite every applicant who has a UCAT score higher than the cut off or do they start ranking applicants who have exceeded the cut off point?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Yes, you should be fine. Even more intrigued as to wher you live :lol:
Anyone know the requirements for graduate applicants please?
Hi, I did my ucat today and didn’t score quite well as I received 2670 band 3. I’m on a gap year and I got A*AA in my A levels and 988888876 in my gcses, would I have a chance of getting an interview, as I know that band 1/2 have higher priority than band 3.Many thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by Hgcrasal1996
Anyone know the requirements for graduate applicants please?

Hey, I don’t believe there are any additional entry requirements for graduates - they’re the same GCSE/A-Level/WE/UCAT requirements as for school-levers. With that said, I fell shy of the necessary UG profile a few years back, then graduated with a 1st in my degree. I e-mailed Admissions explaining my circumstances and they said they would consider my application with everyone else’s. Then, when initial decisions came in, they accidentally declined me on the basis of not meeting their academic requirements, but I had the e-Mail where they told me I would be considered. I forwarded this on and then they withdrew their rejection and invited me to interview. So what I’m saying is… e-Mail the admissions department with your profile and ask if they will consider you :smile: good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by saz200
Hi! Would someone be able to tell me whether I'd be likely to get an interview and hopefully an offer @GANFYD, you seem to be a wealth of knowledge :smile:
UCAT= 2630 band 1
All grade 9s at GCSE (10 subjects)
Thank you so much!

Your UCAT is likely not high enough to avoid the holistic route, which is risky, but your B1 and GCSEs are good. Depends on the rest of your overall profile and if you want to take the risk, as well as the safety of your other choices.
Original post by saz200
Thanks so much! For the holistic route, do they look at predicted grades as well? I'm predicted 3A* but no contextual. Thanks again for providing advice!

They are a bit unclear what they look at, but in theory every part of your application. I’d have a look at their website and what they mention before making a decision.
I would be very grateful if one of the experts could please tell me what in your experience tends to be regarded by Manchester as 'close to, but marginally lower than the top third of UCAT results nationally' for holistic assessment. In other words, does this mean 50 points below the cut off? 75? Or is it more helpful to think in deciles, so, in theory, if the cut off is the bottom of 7th decile, then would being in the 6th decile be reasonable for holistic assessment? Thank you for your attention!
hello,

i am very much confused about my 3 and 4th option.

My GCSE
9 maths , bio , chem, phys,
8 computer science
7 English lang, RS
6 English lit, french

A Level prediction A*AA

UCAT 2750 Band 2

done virtual work experience, charity shop, care home

what are my chances getting interview for medicine please?

Please advise
Thank You
Hi guys, can someone please help me decide whether I can apply to Manchester or not.

My GCSES:
Biology- 8 Chemistry- 7 Eng Lang-8 Eng Lit-7 Geography- 8 Physics - 7 Further maths-7 maths-7 computer science - 7 Business - 8

I have done medicine virtual work experience, dentistry virtual work experience and worked at a restaurant for 6 months as it has been hard to find anything during covid.
My predicted grades are
Biology:A*
Chemistry:A*
Business:A.

Ucat score-2620,
VR 570
DM 640
QR 700
AR 710
situational judgement band 2.
Original post by ClarissaBella
I would be very grateful if one of the experts could please tell me what in your experience tends to be regarded by Manchester as 'close to, but marginally lower than the top third of UCAT results nationally' for holistic assessment. In other words, does this mean 50 points below the cut off? 75? Or is it more helpful to think in deciles, so, in theory, if the cut off is the bottom of 7th decile, then would being in the 6th decile be reasonable for holistic assessment? Thank you for your attention!

It is as simple as, if you are below the cutoff (2620 last year, very likely to increase this year), you will go into the holistic assessment pathway, AFAIK.
Original post by renu2018
hello,

i am very much confused about my 3 and 4th option.

My GCSE
9 maths , bio , chem, phys,
8 computer science
7 English lang, RS
6 English lit, french

A Level prediction A*AA

UCAT 2750 Band 2

done virtual work experience, charity shop, care home

what are my chances getting interview for medicine please?

Please advise
Thank You

You would probably just about get an interview based on UCAT, so should be OK.
Original post by Exciting95135
Hi guys, can someone please help me decide whether I can apply to Manchester or not.

My GCSES:
Biology- 8 Chemistry- 7 Eng Lang-8 Eng Lit-7 Geography- 8 Physics - 7 Further maths-7 maths-7 computer science - 7 Business - 8

I have done medicine virtual work experience, dentistry virtual work experience and worked at a restaurant for 6 months as it has been hard to find anything during covid.
My predicted grades are
Biology:A*
Chemistry:A*
Business:A.

Ucat score-2620,
VR 570
DM 640
QR 700
AR 710
situational judgement band 2.

You are exactly on the past cutoff for UCAT-based interviews. It is very likely to increase this year as they have removed their guarantee of interview if >7th decile, so you are likely to go into the holistic route and depends if you want to risk it.
Hi,
I'm a grad student and was wondering if I had a chance of an interview at manchester?
my stats are 1st class degree, GCSE: All A/A* UCAT 2800 B3
I know they prioritize B1/B2 a lot but i can't find any FOIs which help me decide whether I still have a shot at an interview.
I appreciate anyone's input on this
thanks
Original post by becausethenight
You are exactly on the past cutoff for UCAT-based interviews. It is very likely to increase this year as they have removed their guarantee of interview if >7th decile, so you are likely to go into the holistic route and depends if you want to risk it.

What would happen if I went down the holistic route? Does that mean I need to have gone to a high school which isn't that great? Also is it guaranteed that the ucat score will increase? Slight possibility it may decrease right ?
Original post by Exciting95135
What would happen if I went down the holistic route? Does that mean I need to have gone to a high school which isn't that great? Also is it guaranteed that the ucat score will increase? Slight possibility it may decrease right ?

It means that they will look at every single part of your application and come to some sort of judgement. You can look on their wesbite for the type of thing they say they look at (GCSEs, extra A levels, NAI form etc)

Given that Manchester has explicitly removed their guarantee of an interview to >7th decile candidates, I would bet large amounts of money on their cutoff increasing and nothing on it decreasing, but make of that what you will - I am also not saying I am psychic :tongue:
It is as simple as, if you are below the cutoff (2620 last year, very likely to increase this year), you will go into the holistic assessment pathway, AFAIK.

Thank you very much and I am very sorry to bother you again. But because they say 'close to, but marginally lower than the top third of UCAT results nationally' I was hoping to know how much lower than their cut off they have historically gone. It seems from that quote that they do not look holistically at all application that missed their cut off, but only those that are not too far below it. I am trying to understand what this means in practice...
It means that they will look at every single part of your application and come to some sort of judgement. You can look on their wesbite for the type of thing they say they look at (GCSEs, extra A levels, NAI form etc)

Given that Manchester has explicitly removed their guarantee of an interview to >7th decile candidates, I would bet large amounts of money on their cutoff increasing and nothing on it decreasing, but make of that what you will - I am also not saying I am psychic :tongue:

Ah I see, so judging by my stats I sent before, would I still have a good chance of getting an interview for Manchester through the holistic route? Also, work experience, I haven't done any volunteering or anything, only 6 months at a restaurant and virtual work experience, would this be disadvantaging me or is that acceptable because of covid-19. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending