The Student Room Group

Applying to university

If I apply to a Russell group university and they reject me due to my predicted grades, would I be able to apply again at some point if my actual a level results are good enough ?
Yes, that's fine.
You could apply through Clearing or in the following year, it wont be a problem.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Yes, that's fine.
You could apply through Clearing or in the following year, it wont be a problem.

Okay thank you so much Becaue I just started year 13 and I was worried that if I rejected whilst applying now then I would be stuck and won’t be able to get into the uni of my choice at all
Also is clearing a bad thing because “clearing” has a lot of bad connotations attached to it
Original post by S1237
Okay thank you so much Becaue I just started year 13 and I was worried that if I rejected whilst applying now then I would be stuck and won’t be able to get into the uni of my choice at all
Also is clearing a bad thing because “clearing” has a lot of bad connotations attached to it

Clearing isnt a bad thing although there are issues attached to it,

Firstly the university still has to have space on the course and that isnt guaranteed. Secondly the accommodation might have been let as you are at the end of the queue. This differs massively between universities. For example accommodation in Bristol is in short supply whereas there is a surplus of accommodation in Cardiff where private suppliers have been letting to non students in order to fill spaces
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Clearing isnt a bad thing although there are issues attached to it,

Firstly the university still has to have space on the course and that isnt guaranteed. Secondly the accommodation might have been let as you are at the end of the queue. This differs massively between universities. For example accommodation in Bristol is in short supply whereas there is a surplus of accommodation in Cardiff where private suppliers have been letting to non students in order to fill spaces

What about accommodations in Nottingham , Warwick , Birmingham or Aston. Do you know any websites where I can find information on how much accommodation each uni has ?
I’m looking to study Psychology and Marketing or just Marketing alone, do you think there will still be space left?
Thank you so much for your help and sorry about all the questions x
Original post by S1237
What about accommodations in Nottingham , Warwick , Birmingham or Aston. Do you know any websites where I can find information on how much accommodation each uni has ?
I’m looking to study Psychology and Marketing or just Marketing alone, do you think there will still be space left?
Thank you so much for your help and sorry about all the questions x

Hi @S1237

If you go on to each university's website, there should be an "Accommodation" section which should give you all the info you need.

In terms of space, it depends on how strict the university is with their entry requirements and how highly rated their courses are.

Thanks

Amy
Hello guys, I was worried about applying for university, I am currently in year 13 doing BTEC Level 3 in Information Technology as Diploma which is equivalent to 2 A levels and a BTEC Level 3 in Business as extended certificate which is equivalent to 1 A level and might do Italian as A level, I think by the end I would get in IT: D*D and in Business: D* and in Italian an A*. I wanted to apply to a university for a computer science degree either in a Russel group or a in a top 100 ranking, I have called a few unis and they said I need an A level with the Diploma but I'm doing another single business. Can anyone please help me? when I called them I did not tell them that I would be doing Italian as A level.
Original post by Esingh-2001
Hello guys, I was worried about applying for university, I am currently in year 13 doing BTEC Level 3 in Information Technology as Diploma which is equivalent to 2 A levels and a BTEC Level 3 in Business as extended certificate which is equivalent to 1 A level and might do Italian as A level, I think by the end I would get in IT: D*D and in Business: D* and in Italian an A*. I wanted to apply to a university for a computer science degree either in a Russel group or a in a top 100 ranking, I have called a few unis and they said I need an A level with the Diploma but I'm doing another single business. Can anyone please help me? when I called them I did not tell them that I would be doing Italian as A level.

Please post this as a new question in the Comp Sci forum : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52
Original post by Esingh-2001

Not good news as most top universities insist on A level Maths in addition to your Btec. Here is a list of universities accepting CS without A level Maths. Most probably all will accept will accept your BTEC but you will need to check

Computer Science without A Level Maths
Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics
Original post by S1237
If I apply to a Russell group university and they reject me due to my predicted grades, would I be able to apply again at some point if my actual a level results are good enough ?

Hi there!, You should be able to call the university's clearing line and reapply through there! If they still have spaces you might be luck enough to get accepted and start this year. Good luck in applying!

Peace ( student ambassador at PCL)
Reply 10
Original post by Pearson Business School Rep
Hi there!, You should be able to call the university's clearing line and reapply through there! If they still have spaces you might be luck enough to get accepted and start this year. Good luck in applying!

Peace ( student ambassador at PCL)

Okay thank you so much, will do x
Original post by S1237

Not all of the Russell group universities bother with clearing. I would certainly give it a go - once you have a place no one cares how you got there. It may, though, be better to take a gap year and re-apply, but make sure you are doing some really constructive thinks in that year to support your application. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending